Instrument/Gauge Cluster???

1. sgtmorph

sgtmorph Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si Coupe
    So I've talked with people (outside of the forums) who claim to know Honda like the back of their hand.
    And I've literally spent hours scouring these forums for answers on this.

Some threads I've read say "Yes, it's a direct swap, no dealer visit required."
    Some threads say "a dealer visit is required."
    So a lot of conflicting information I'm getting.

So for anyone here with real-world, actual first-hand confirmation on this, my questions are:

1. If I were to remove my instrument/gauge cluster, and then install a new one, what exactly will happen?
    2. Will it be as simple as plug it in and you're ready to go?
    3. What will happen with the odometer, (will it show at your cars actual mileage, or show back at zero)?
    4. Will all the gauges and readings still function, etc?
    5. Basically can this be done DIY, or will it absolutely 100% have to be programmed at the dealer?

2. Drake

Drake Senior Member

Car(s):
    Honda Civic Si
    What are you trying to do? Install some aftermarket gauge cluster? Or replace a broken one with a new OEM one?

3. OP
    OP
    sgtmorph

sgtmorph Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si Coupe
    #3 sgtmorph, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Replace it with the same factory OEM one.
    A relative asked if I would replace it for them to save on labor costs.

4. OP
    OP
    sgtmorph

sgtmorph Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si Coupe
    :what: Anyone? :dunno:

5. vethekim

vethekim Member

First Name:
    hakan
    Car(s):
    2017 honda civic hatchback sport
    my car honda civic hatchback. The 7 inch multimedia screen is broken and did not work.
    The new unit was replaced at the dealer under warranty. however, the product was not plug and play. It initially calibrates and requests coding.
    my dealer couldn't start my new unit because they were doing it for the first time. I introduced it myself.Honda didn't even know the password. unit manufacturer mitsubishi elec. After 2 weeks, he gave a special password matching the unit part code.
    I even got the special code of the unit. Since the system is anti-theft, it initially writes the vehicle vin code inside the unit.
    To use a previously used dashboard in another vehicle, you need to enter the special password code (separately for each). If you are installing a zero OEM instrument panel, it does not require a password, but requires calibration. I don't think you can do this yourself. not just plug and play! ...
    Since the ECU has not changed, it will probably show the original miles / km information (I'm guessing).

6. Shankmeyster

Shankmeyster Senior Member

Car(s):
    2020 Civic Sport Hatch
    Any odo will have to be programmed manually. This is not something that is stored in the ECU so far as I know, otherwise you will have to report the car as mileage unknown on the reg/title. Looks like you can get a speedo shop to do it for you if the dealer can't. Either they pull the chip that stores the mileage and swap it over or they use a programming tool to adjust it to match yours.

7. Multaq

Multaq Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic LX 6SPD
    I have not seen anyone attempt this. I actually wanted to swap a civic sport gauge cluster into my LX. I am curious about this.

8. NonyaBisness

NonyaBisness Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic EX-T
    Can't speak for Honda, but I know for a fact some ECU's also store the mileage separate from the cluster, more then a few odometer roll back/cluster swap scams have been busted over the years because of this. Samcrac talks about a BMW where this happened somewhere in the second half of this video

9. ExVTEC

ExVTEC Senior Member

First Name:
    Elliot
    Car(s):
    2019 CTR
    Odometer is stored in multiple locations such as the unit itself, ECM, and BCM. It's probably easier to rebuild a motor than go through this.

Good luck