Installing acuit base bushings - how to get 3 wire harness clips off?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Currently installing the Acuity base bushings and can't figure out how to get the 3 wiring harnesses off of the clips in the the shifter area, so that I can remove the entire center console. Help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I gave up. Those three wiring clips were literally the only thing in the way of finishing the job, and I couldn't figure them out. I actually managed to snap off the white one in the front thinking that maybe I just had to pry it out. Really hoping that there's no reprocussions from that.

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Ah crap. I didn't log in until now.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing acuit base bushings - how to get 3 wire harness clips off? upload_2018-3-31_18-2-55

What you're looking to do is push and holding the two ends of the clip together (circled in blue) and push out the trim. You can also just use a flat head screwdriver and force it to separate from the trim. That's what I was doing until I realized you needed to squeeze the ends to slide out the trim. It might be tricky with some of them. You might need to use the flat head to push one end with your finger on the other end to release the trim.

---

Starting from scratch... again. I don't envy you.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Currently installing the Acuity base bushings and can't figure out how to get the 3 wiring harnesses off of the clips in the the shifter area, so that I can remove the entire center console. Help!
Is it the type of clip that looks like a zip tie around the wires?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it the type of clip that looks like a zip tie around the wires?
That's the one! I'm apparently supposed to use a hook pick to do something to the rear of the plastic mount that I can't quite vizualize/figure out.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ah crap. I didn't log in until now.

upload_2018-3-31_18-2-55.png

What you're looking to do is push and holding the two ends of the clip together (circled in blue) and push out the trim. You can also just use a flat head screwdriver and force it to separate from the trim. That's what I was doing until I realized you needed to squeeze the ends to slide out the trim. It might be tricky with some of them. You might need to use the flat head to push one end with your finger on the other end to release the trim.

---

Starting from scratch... again. I don't envy you.
So are there two prongs on the back side of the mount that hold it in place? If so, are you saying that I would need to squeeze them together and then push forward to pop the piece loose?

I had tried to do something like that with my hand, but couldn't seem to get them to budge. Also for the two black ones, I couldn't get my fingers in there.

Phylanx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 CRV, '17 Si Sedan
Country flag
I left the shifter in when installing the base bushings. No need to take it out. You can slide the bushings underneath.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's the one! I'm apparently supposed to use a hook pick to do something to the rear of the plastic mount that I can't quite vizualize/figure out.

They are similar to this picture. There are two barbs on the backside that need to be squeezed while lightly pulling from the wire side. It's been a few months since I had my console apart, but if memory serves me correctly one of them was a PITA...it was surrounded by plastic on all but one side on the rear of the clip.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing acuit base bushings - how to get 3 wire harness clips off? images

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just in case you don't already have this..
Thank you. I had attempted to use this earlier, but I think that without a pick tool, it was a lost cause. I'll have to go invest in one tomorrow and see how far I can get.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They are similar to this picture. There are two barbs on the backside that need to be squeezed while lightly pulling from the wire side. It's been a few months since I had my console apart, but if memory serves me correctly one of them was a PITA...it was surrounded by plastic on all but one side on the rear of the clip.

images.jpeg
That's the one. Not sure how to squeeze when I'll only be able to push from one side at a time, but hopefully I'll figure it out as I go. Gotta go pick up a couple of hooks tomorrow

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's the one. Not sure how to squeeze when I'll only be able to push from one side at a time, but hopefully I'll figure it out as I go. Gotta go pick up a couple of hooks tomorrow
An excuse for more tools!;)

You can release one side at a time. Collapse one side and pull on the harness so that side stays out of the hole- keep pulling on it so it doesn't re-seat and then collapse the other tab.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On a side note: I tried to install my shifter cable bushings today. The install guide from acuity claims that the battery tray isn't bolted down and just comes right out once the terminals and the battery clamp are remove.

Utter hogwash. The housing did rock backwards,but when I attempted to pull upwards to remove it, it would not budge an inch. It must still be bolted down in the back by something that I can't see.

I'm just getting tired of these official install guides glossing over key steps that add to the difficulty.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a side note: I tried to install my shifter cable bushings today. The install guide from acuity claims that the battery tray isn't bolted down and just comes right out once the terminals and the battery clamp are remove.

Utter hogwash. The housing did rock backwards,but when I attempted to pull upwards to remove it, it would not budge an inch. It must still be bolted down in the back by something that I can't see.

I'm just getting tired of these official install guides glossing over key steps that add to the difficulty.
The battery and tray comes out by using common sense. Take a deep breath, and assess what you are looking at. The bolts holding the tray down are easily accessible and removable.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@davemarco -

After removing the clamp over the top of the battery, did you remove the two bolt rods circled below? They are just a hook on the opposite ends as the clamp side.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installing acuit base bushings - how to get 3 wire harness clips off? IMG_20180401_144010
Sponsored