Installed New Head unit, Back up cam is weird?

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey guys, ive been reader of the forums, first time poster. Gotta say these forums helped me alot with what all I've done with my car so far.
I just got a Kenwood DDX7705S radio installed into my car, replacing the factory. Now my backup camera doesn't have the same angle as it used to. Basically compared to the factory setting this is unbearable. I dont have a factory feed picture for reference. Dont mind the bad quality, its night and raining. Any help trying to figure out if its a setting, or if the factory camera isnt compatible with aftermarket radios. If theres already a thread about this, please link me. I looked but couldnt find one.
My info:
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport
Kenwood DDX7705S
Installed by Geek Squad, not myself.
Thanks guys.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installed New Head unit, Back up cam is weird? 20190226_211315_001

Edited to add info.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yeah it would be under the settings. Because you can turn them off and on. I also have a kenwood and I believe the option is called parking guidelines. The only thing is that they will not turn with the steering wheel, they are just stationary.

OP
OP
Let'sEatCrayons
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah it would be under the settings. Because you can turn them off and on. I also have a kenwood and I believe the option is called parking guidelines. The only thing is that they will not turn with the steering wheel, they are just stationary.
The guidelines I'm aware of. After sleeping last night and coming back out to it today, I think i can put my finger on the issue.
Its displaying with the new headunit as a fisheye lens angle. The original was more of a cone. Furthermore, if I press the "Cam" button, it goes to a black screen, or if i try to adjust the guidelines wiithin setup, it also goes to a black screen. The only time I see the image is if I put it in reverse. Then the feed jumps between the image behind me, to the main menu, over and over.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The guidelines I'm aware of. After sleeping last night and coming back out to it today, I think i can put my finger on the issue.
Its displaying with the new headunit as a fisheye lens angle. The original was more of a cone. Furthermore, if I press the "Cam" button, it goes to a black screen, or if i try to adjust the guidelines wiithin setup, it also goes to a black screen. The only time I see the image is if I put it in reverse. Then the feed jumps between the image behind me, to the main menu, over and over.
I have the DDX6905S. Yes the view definitely is different than the stock screen. And that view is the only one you got. I know the stock screen you had I believe 3 different views you can switch through. But with the aftermarket head unit it only has one. But kenwood does have a kit to upgrade the camera so you can switch through different views. It’s basically a new camera, so you would be replacing the stock camera. I am eventually gonna upgrade mine to. According to my manual mine takes the CMOS-320 camera and it has the multi-angle views. But it’s also $320. Then installation to because I’m not gonna went to mess with that lol

Last edited:

Triple_peaz

Brother Taresa
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si sedan, 2016 Honda pilot
Country flag
:lol::lol::lol:
Hey guys, ive been reader of the forums, first time poster. Gotta say these forums helped me alot with what all I've done with my car so far.
I just got a Kenwood DDX7705S radio installed into my car, replacing the factory. Now my backup camera doesn't have the same angle as it used to. Basically compared to the factory setting this is unbearable. I dont have a factory feed picture for reference. Dont mind the bad quality, its night and raining. Any help trying to figure out if its a setting, or if the factory camera isnt compatible with aftermarket radios. If theres already a thread about this, please link me. I looked but couldnt find one.
My info:
Kenwood DDX7705S
Thanks guys.

20190226_211315_001.jpg

Edited to add info.
Dying at your user name...

OP
OP
Let'sEatCrayons
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the DDX6905S. Yes the view definitely is different than the stock screen. And that view is the only one you got. I know the stock screen you had I believe 3 different views you can switch through. But with the aftermarket head unit it only has one. But kenwood does have a kit to upgrade the camera so you can switch through different views. It’s basically a new camera, so you would be replacing the stock camera. I am eventually gonna upgrade mine to. According to my manual mine takes the CMOS-320 camera and it has the multi-angle views. But it’s also $320. Then installation to because I’m not gonna went to mess with that lol
See that's what I was afraid of. I found out the feed being black is due to a TX state law that can't show moving video in a driving car. So it's set up a tad odd, but livable.
Do you get used to the fish eye? I like the normal view better, but the price of the cmos(mine is compatible too) is a bit much. Idk if you have geek squad in your area, but their labor is extremely cheap. They have a membership called Total Tech Support for $200 a year. Covers basic car audio and Autotech stuff. Has other benefits too like cheaper in home work and work on your computers. Anyway they installed my whole system, head unit, components, coaxials, amps, sw. 200. Not bad seeing as how I don't know anything about car audio.
But yeah back to topic of point. Do you get used to the fish eye lens?

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
The factory one had three different options to choose from, which was all controlled from the headunit itself. As far as I've read, there is no way to change the camera view type with an aftermarket radio, it defaults to that view.

Timmeh8604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The different views from the factory camera are triggered by different voltage signals.I have not done this but there is a thread where you can wire in a switch to manuall change the view to the desired one and keep it there. Maybe Scopsys can assist if he sees this thread as I think it may have been him discussing it. There is a way to change it though, I just cannot remember what the thread was.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
See that's what I was afraid of. I found out the feed being black is due to a TX state law that can't show moving video in a driving car. So it's set up a tad odd, but livable.
Do you get used to the fish eye? I like the normal view better, but the price of the cmos(mine is compatible too) is a bit much. Idk if you have geek squad in your area, but their labor is extremely cheap. They have a membership called Total Tech Support for $200 a year. Covers basic car audio and Autotech stuff. Has other benefits too like cheaper in home work and work on your computers. Anyway they installed my whole system, head unit, components, coaxials, amps, sw. 200. Not bad seeing as how I don't know anything about car audio.
Yes I got used to the fish eye lens. The picture quality is actually better than stock, but the angle is very wide. But I did get used to it. But I’m still gonna get the upgraded camera one day

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My info:
Kenwood DDX7705S
Thanks guys.

20190226_211315_001.jpg

Edited to add info.
Oh and I was wrong, mine is the ddx6904s. I bought it about 7 months ago. I guess it’s already been replaced with the ddx6905s. But anyways, you can see my screen is exactly the same as yours

Honda Civic 10th gen Installed New Head unit, Back up cam is weird? 65208231-9EA2-45A5-B9D7-AAE9D40A4213
Sponsored