mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
It will be at an angle. The lever arm is longer on the Type R shifter assembly. I thought that I recall reading that the short throw extension was not recommended for the Type R shifter due to the significance of the angle that it creates. I'd email Acuity to confirm though.
Ok so basically the base of the the R assembly and the base of the LX assembly are the same. Just the arm lengths are changed between the LX, Si, and type R?
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Ok so basically the base of the the R assembly and the base of the LX assembly are the same. Just the arm lengths are changed between the LX, Si, and type R?
The arm lengths and the spring stiffness if I recall correctly.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The arm lengths and the spring stiffness if I recall correctly.
Ok since I already have the stage 2 Acuity shift kit then I wouldn’t be improving anything with a type R shifter since the kit has a stiffer centering spring, short throw adapter, and the rocker upgrade. I guess Amsoil synchromesh transmission fluid is the only thing I got left to do. I already have it at home, just waiting to do it when I change my oil. Thanks a lot for the info

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Ok since I already have the stage 2 Acuity shift kit then I wouldn’t be improving anything with a type R shifter since the kit has a stiffer centering spring, short throw adapter, and the rocker upgrade. I guess Amsoil synchromesh transmission fluid is the only thing I got left to do. I already have it at home, just waiting to do it when I change my oil. Thanks a lot for the info
You can try the Perrin Shifter Cable Lock Down. I found it to be helpful with reducing the even gear crunch when I had my SI. I have one that I'm parting out if you decide to go that route.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can try the Perrin Shifter Cable Lock Down. I found it to be helpful with reducing the even gear crunch when I had my SI. I have one that I'm parting out if you decide to go that route.
Did that help anything?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What Craig said. The throw on the Si is slightly shorter than the Sport, and the CTR slightly shorter than the Si. The CTR's lower shift rod is long enough that if you put a traditional extender, you will exceed the safe angular range of the OEM cable and could break it rather quickly. Unfortunately, this means that an OEM Si shifter with a short throw adapter will have a shorter throw than an OEM CTR shifter. But have no fear guys, we have a few shifting mods in the works to fix some of these shortcomings. :) More info to follow in coming months!

~russ
Acuity on top of things, as always!

Aguirre129

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
About to order the Acuity stage 1 kit for my 18 Si. One quick question, since the difference in the R shifter assembly and the Si are so close in lengths, is the only reason that people feel a difference because of the acuity parts or is it the whole R assembly. I am just wondering if I only buy the Acuity parts would it feel the same on the Si shifter instead of the R. I could buy the R assembly but its around 45 bucks with shipping to my house so I wanted to try the acuity first and then changing then assembly itself. Any thoughts on this?

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
About to order the Acuity stage 1 kit for my 18 Si. One quick question, since the difference in the R shifter assembly and the Si are so close in lengths, is the only reason that people feel a difference because of the acuity parts or is it the whole R assembly. I am just wondering if I only buy the Acuity parts would it feel the same on the Si shifter instead of the R. I could buy the R assembly but its around 45 bucks with shipping to my house so I wanted to try the acuity first and then changing then assembly itself. Any thoughts on this?
The Type R shifter assembly has 30% less throw than the Si. For $45, it’s a great upgrade for the money. You would have to R/R the whole center console again if you decided to do it later. Might as well do it all at one shot and be done with it. I have it, with the Acuity upgrades, and it’s prob my most favorite mod to date. We’ll worth it.

RRsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
So is the consensus Type R shifter w/ Acuity upgrades (bushings, rocker, etc..) > Acuity's Adjustable Short Shifter? (From both a performance and $/upgrade standpoint)

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So is the consensus Type R shifter w/ Acuity upgrades (bushings, rocker, etc..) > Acuity's Adjustable Short Shifter? (From both a performance and $/upgrade standpoint)
The full ACUITY shifter is on a different planet performance-wise. $/upgrade is a personal thing.

Note that the Si shifter with the ACUITY short shift adapter will have a shorter throw than the Type R shifter. (The ACUITY short shift adapter is too aggressive to be used on the Type R shifter.) Other than wanting a throw in between stock Si and the Si+ACUITY short shift adapter, I don't see any reason to buy the Type R shifter if you are doing all the ACUITY upgrades to an Si shifter.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Slight resurrection to this Thread.
The new 2020 Civic Type R actually has a shorter shift throw. see below...

"For the 2020 model year, drivers can also expect added refinement, including a new Alcantara™-wrapped steering wheel and a new shifter with a restyled knob and shorter shift throws."

Great news for anyone who hasn't done the mod... bad news for people (like me) who just installed the 2019 shift lever:rofl::oops:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Slight resurrection to this Thread.
The new 2020 Civic Type R actually has a shorter shift throw. see below...

"For the 2020 model year, drivers can also expect added refinement, including a new Alcantara™-wrapped steering wheel and a new shifter with a restyled knob and shorter shift throws."

Great news for anyone who hasn't done the mod... bad news for people (like me) who just installed the 2019 shift lever:rofl::oops:
Yeah, I saw that too and I just installed a CTR shifter. Oh well, I still really enjoy the upgrade!!

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
I will wait for the new 2020 shifter and upgrade it in my Si
Assuming it'll still be around $50, absolutely. Went ahead and bought the Performance PLUS kit (Acuity Stage 2 kit) from Two Step this morning for $280 and am not looking back. Main reason is I received $125 in Christmas cash so it only came out to $155 out of pocket. Can't be that significant of a difference though from the new CTR shifter considering Acuity mods with Si shifter is slightly shorter than the current one.
Sponsored