Installed Civic Type R shift lever in my Si

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I put it in last night along with solid shifter base bushings. In ALL honesty, it was worth the 35 bucks, but it's not a very big difference for an Si to the TypeR, and while I may need more time with it, it is probably at Most 10% shorter than the Si, it's really not that noticeable. I may still do the boomba transmission side weight and shortening. BTW, I used Sirimoto's youtube install as it was the best and easiest to follow. The whole process was very easy but time consuming and the hardest part was removing the cables from the base, I had unbolted prior and it took some effort, then the install same thing was the hardest was orienting the cables correctly and then getting them back in.

Changed the oil and filter, did the shifter base bushing swap and TypeR base/lever change and put some sound deadener on the center hump and total time was around 2 1/2 hours. None of it is hard, but it is time consuming, and for how much it cost right now it is definitely worth it for a standard/base civic owner, but I'm not so sure it is for the Si, at the 35 dollar price point - yes, but if it goes higher I would say no as a matter of opinion for those looking for this:)
What kind of sound deadening did you put in, and under which panel? Looking to do something similar.
Sponsored

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know of the type r shifter is a direct swap for the civic hatchback sport or about how much it would cost to have it installed professionally?

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Does anyone know of the type r shifter is a direct swap for the civic hatchback sport or about how much it would cost to have it installed professionally?
It is, cost wouldn't be cheap as it is time consuming as it is intensive to take out the center console lol. IT takes a bit and a shop would charge you labor.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is, cost wouldn't be cheap as it is time consuming as it is intensive to take out the center console lol. IT takes a bit and a shop would charge you labor.
Awesome thanks for the heads up mainly concerned about if its a direct swap or not, with the part being so cheap maybe its time for me to start watching some install videos and see if i can do it myself

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Awesome thanks for the heads up mainly concerned about if its a direct swap or not, with the part being so cheap maybe its time for me to start watching some install videos and see if i can do it myself
It will fit. Removing the center console for the first time is annoying, but not that bad.. The worst part is the shifter cables.. which the Sirimoto vid conveniently skips over how to do..

Last edited:

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It will fix. Removing the center console for the first time is annoying, but not that bad.. The worst part is the shifter cables.. which the Sirimoto vid conveniently skips over how to do..
I think that may have been the one i watched, about a krispy shifter?? Seemed pretty easy minus all those clips being a pita but yeah didnt really explain what was going on with those cables other then just take them off, will probably go for the self install and hope im not just making more work for a shop to fix

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IT's not bad to remove - and I watched the siri moto as well to remove just a little bit at a time - Matt's is actually better I think its CarAddict on Youtube and I know he is on here as well... But the hardest part for me was the shifter cables which are super simple once you actually know how to do it - I used an allen wrench to put the pressure where it needed to be eventually, and then I did the "home depot" solid shifter bushings also from CarAddict's youtube channel and those were kind of hard to get in as well. I will say I ended up using one more smaller washer on each of the 4 bolts!

IT took me around 90 minutes start to finish, and I did add some butyl sound deadner while in there as well! Here is his channel looked for his username on here but coudl'nt find it:/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCunMd_Vy0L4qcg1oGMHGEXw

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its a fairly easy install, just watch a few videos and buy one of the cheap interior trim tool kits on Amazon. If you are going to swap to a type R shiftier I would also replace the base bushing with the Acuity ones while you have it out.

I swapped my S shifter out for the R and Acuity bushings, it has a much nicer feel to it.

lovezm2011

First Name
zhang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ext 6mt
Country flag
What Craig said. The throw on the Si is slightly shorter than the Sport, and the CTR slightly shorter than the Si. The CTR's lower shift rod is long enough that if you put a traditional extender, you will exceed the safe angular range of the OEM cable and could break it rather quickly. Unfortunately, this means that an OEM Si shifter with a short throw adapter will have a shorter throw than an OEM CTR shifter. But have no fear guys, we have a few shifting mods in the works to fix some of these shortcomings. :) More info to follow in coming months!

~russ
What Craig said. The throw on the Si is slightly shorter than the Sport, and the CTR slightly shorter than the Si. The CTR's lower shift rod is long enough that if you put a traditional extender, you will exceed the safe angular range of the OEM cable and could break it rather quickly. Unfortunately, this means that an OEM Si shifter with a short throw adapter will have a shorter throw than an OEM CTR shifter. But have no fear guys, we have a few shifting mods in the works to fix some of these shortcomings. :) More info to follow in coming months!

~russ
can i improve my ext 6mt shifting experience to the si?the ext 6mt is bad.from i know now,the base model civic mt and the hatback sport is the same feel.the si's is good,you know the difference between the si and the ext?

Dead_pool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic SI sedan
Country flag
The SI shifter is a little bit shorter than the others ( except the type r ).

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
can i improve my ext 6mt shifting experience to the si?the ext 6mt is bad.from i know now,the base model civic mt and the hatback sport is the same feel.the si's is good,you know the difference between the si and the ext?
I have an Si, and switched to the R, I can honestly say I think i preferred the Si shifter - the other item is on the Si you can still add the siri moto shorter to the bottom for super short throws - the shortest available actually (this is the Si shifter base and the siri moto end on it), with the R it feels more clunky and I honestly have issues going to 3rd and 5th from time to time, and then also the way the shift boot sits due to the extra Curve the R has on the shaft coming up - it almost binds my stock leather shift boot. I am NOT getting rid of the TypeR shifter base due to the time and effort to switch, but I do think I preferred the Si's and the difference is very very minimal between the two. I am undecided if I"m selling my Si base at this time, as I will be doing total floor coverage with butyl soon, I may consider adding the Boomba weighted transmission side to the TypeR setup I have, and that should be stupid short, but time will tell... I do think the TypeR with the Boomba transmission side will be shorter than the Siri Moto and the Si shifter but haven't tested that yet...

I would say the Si and the TypeR will be Massive improvements over standard and sport models, but the difference between the two is questionable if it's worth the effort in my opinion. And FYI put 15k on the Si shifter and at 4k on the TypeR so I have plenty of driving with both!

lovezm2011

First Name
zhang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ext 6mt
Country flag
I have an Si, and switched to the R, I can honestly say I think i preferred the Si shifter - the other item is on the Si you can still add the siri moto shorter to the bottom for super short throws - the shortest available actually (this is the Si shifter base and the siri moto end on it), with the R it feels more clunky and I honestly have issues going to 3rd and 5th from time to time, and then also the way the shift boot sits due to the extra Curve the R has on the shaft coming up - it almost binds my stock leather shift boot. I am NOT getting rid of the TypeR shifter base due to the time and effort to switch, but I do think I preferred the Si's and the difference is very very minimal between the two. I am undecided if I"m selling my Si base at this time, as I will be doing total floor coverage with butyl soon, I may consider adding the Boomba weighted transmission side to the TypeR setup I have, and that should be stupid short, but time will tell... I do think the TypeR with the Boomba transmission side will be shorter than the Siri Moto and the Si shifter but haven't tested that yet...

I would say the Si and the TypeR will be Massive improvements over standard and sport models, but the difference between the two is questionable if it's worth the effort in my opinion. And FYI put 15k on the Si shifter and at 4k on the TypeR so I have plenty of driving with both!
Short does not mean enjoyable.Actually, the si gearbox is a really good one.I think you do not need any aftermarket shift kit.It is always be good.As you said,the Si and the TypeR will be Massive improvements over standard and sport models.And what is the difference between the base model 6mt and the si?I wanna improve!

lovezm2011

First Name
zhang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic ext 6mt
Country flag
Short does not mean enjoyable.Actually, the si gearbox is a really good one.I think you do not need any aftermarket shift kit.It is always be good.As you said,the Si and the TypeR will be Massive improvements over standard and sport models.And what is the difference between the base model 6mt and the si?I wanna improve!
just the gearbox.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Put in an order for the type r shift lever along with the acuity base and shifter bushings. Does anyone know if the type r shift lever is still having backorder issues?
Sponsored