Installed Civic Type R shift lever in my Si

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
I went to my local dealership for an oil filter and ended up adding a Civic Type R shift lever to my order. $51.40 tax included. These sell for $27.xx at various online retailers but shipping almost doubles that. Was it worth it? Oh yes.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installed Civic Type R shift lever in my Si 39336602451_dc33b52aac_c

Short shifter with a (cheap) OEM part. It also got rid of a lot of the crunchiness with the Si shifter. I've seen people mention that with the even gears, mine seemed to crunch on everything but 1st and 6th. All are much better. Install requires removing most of the center console - I highly recommend a good set of panel tools. The cheap option on Amazon will dent/scratch the trim.

I followed Doyunen18's great thread for most of the console work = https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-wireless-charger-install.16951/

You need to remove the side panels of the console - five screws each side after removing the back. I also had to remove the metal piece directly behind the shift lever assembly to detach the bottom shift cable.

Detaching the shift cables is a pain in the ass. Get a flashlight and look towards the front of the car - you'll see a nub preventing the cable housing from rotating. Push just behind that tab with a flat-blade screwdriver and you can rotate the cable housing.
Sponsored

Loccust

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
What's the difference in the throw? 20%? 10%?

OP
OP

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
It's significant. 25-30%?

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Sounds like quite the improvement.

Might have considered this but...

1.) Looks like just as much fun as installing the autodimming mirror

2.) Would be illegal for GS autocross because my shift times would just be too fast.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Reminds me of the wrx short shifter as an optional sti accessory. They sell the whole unit together with a high cost. At least the price of these are very reasonable. I’m happy with my si stick shifter, but never say never.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Interesting.... I may transfer my Sirimoto kit to this shifter and see how much shorter it can be

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I thought that the SI shifter and the Type R shifter were the same?

When you say that it removes the crunchiness, can you describe what it feels like now?

OP
OP

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
I understand the plastic base is the same on all MT Civics. The spring on the Si and Type R are the same, different than base models. The actual shift lever is longer on the Type R unit, which results in a shorter shift throw than Si/base models.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I understand the plastic base is the same on all MT Civics. The spring on the Si and Type R are the same, different than base models. The actual shift lever is longer on the Type R unit, which results in a shorter shift throw than Si/base models.
Cool, thanks. Do we know if the linkages and bushings are the same between the SI and the Type R?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Interesting.... I may transfer my Sirimoto kit to this shifter and see how much shorter it can be
It may make the shifter rod too long for the cable - the Sirimoto and similar aftermarket extensions do not work on the Type R for this reason.

Cool, thanks. Do we know if the linkages and bushings are the same between the SI and the Type R?
The commonly-replaced bushings are interchangeable - like the shifter base bushings and shifter cable bushings. As an aside, if I was changing shifters then I would definitely change to aftermarket solid shifter base bushings like Acuity's (unless one likes the 'rubbery' feel at the end of shifts).

The Type R has different linkages on the transaxle.

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
It may make the shifter rod too long for the cable - the Sirimoto and similar aftermarket extensions do not work on the Type R for this reason.

What Craig said. The throw on the Si is slightly shorter than the Sport, and the CTR slightly shorter than the Si. The CTR's lower shift rod is long enough that if you put a traditional extender, you will exceed the safe angular range of the OEM cable and could break it rather quickly. Unfortunately, this means that an OEM Si shifter with a short throw adapter will have a shorter throw than an OEM CTR shifter. But have no fear guys, we have a few shifting mods in the works to fix some of these shortcomings. :) More info to follow in coming months!

~russ

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With the heavier dual mass flywheel, even if you utilize a rev hang delete, the revs still drop too slow to smoothly make use of even the stock SI short throw. I don't know how useful an even shorter throw would be without first finding a way to swap out the flywheel for a lightweight single mass one.
Sponsored