Installed a iPhone dock

TheWalkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many
Country flag
Brilliant idea, and it looks awesome too. I have a 6s and even though it is smaller it is hard to fit in the little designated iphone area. Does it ever accidentally hit the climate controls behind it?
I tried this solution with my 6s and the phone was constantly flopping around. I was concerned I might damage the Lightning connector so I ultimately punted on this.

buggs_moran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Civic EX Cosmic Blue
This great, now I can add Google maps to my navigation options. Works great, directions going through the speakers.
image.jpeg
Now if they'd just let up use Google Maps in Carplay...

civicT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I still can't figure out how to change the actual background of the home screen
Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this - Go to your home page, then click and hold on an empty space and it should pop up to add wallpaper.

mrisad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Thanks for the idea OP. I would have liked to do the landscape method but I think the main point of this post was to have easy access to connect and disconnect the phone, going with anything other than a portrait setup would require two hands to connect the cable to the phone, which defeats the purpose in my opinion.

My interior is black and my iPhone 7+ is black so I decided to go with a standard black lightning dock from apple and a black cable. I secured the dock by using 3M double sided tape, any exterior 3M double sided tape will do, I got a transparent one. For those of you in Canada, go to a Canadian tire you'll find them in the paint section. It's really easy to apply but a quick note, just make sure you remove the rubber from under the lightning dock otherwise the 3M tape won't stick. You can literally pull out the rubber from the dock with your hands (it's just glued on). Anyway, here are some pics of the final outcome:

1. Yes it blocks access to a few buttons for climate control, but I can still access them from the top.
2. No this solution won't allow you to rotate the phone to give you access to those button however, I can assure you this setup ensures that the phone doesn't sway forward when you accelerate or swing left to right when you take sharp turns. It's pretty well secured.
3. You can easily dock and undock your phone quickly.

Honda Civic 10th gen Installed a iPhone dock 2017-01-25 22.05.56

Honda Civic 10th gen Installed a iPhone dock 2017-01-25 22.06.10

Honda Civic 10th gen Installed a iPhone dock 2017-01-25 22.06.33

Honda Civic 10th gen Installed a iPhone dock 2017-01-25 00.04.47

skrappss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder
Country flag
Thanks for the idea OP. I would have liked to do the landscape method but I think the main point of this post was to have easy access to connect and disconnect the phone, going with anything other than a portrait setup would require two hands to connect the cable to the phone, which defeats the purpose in my opinion.

My interior is black and my iPhone 7+ is black so I decided to go with a standard black lightning dock from apple and a black cable. I secured the dock by using 3M double sided tape, any exterior 3M double sided tape will do, I got a transparent one. For those of you in Canada, go to a Canadian tire you'll find them in the paint section. It's really easy to apply but a quick note, just make sure you remove the rubber from under the lightning dock otherwise the 3M tape won't stick. You can literally pull out the rubber from the dock with your hands (it's just glued on). Anyway, here are some pics of the final outcome:

1. Yes it blocks access to a few buttons for climate control, but I can still access them from the top.
2. No this solution won't allow you to rotate the phone to give you access to those button however, I can assure you this setup ensures that the phone doesn't sway forward when you accelerate or swing left to right when you take sharp turns. It's pretty well secured.
3. You can easily dock and undock your phone quickly.

2017-01-25 22.05.56.jpg

2017-01-25 22.06.10.jpg

2017-01-25 22.06.33.jpg

2017-01-25 00.04.47.jpg

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is my setup. The holder attaches to one of the passenger chairs seat slider bolt. I like it because it still free's up my cubby space but a little inconvenient for your passenger if they have very big legs. :)
Do you guys know that you can tuck your phone in that slot where the USB wire goes through. Not sure if Honda intended this. But it surely makes sense if you don't use your phone screen while driving. Even my iPhone 7 plus fits perfectly and still have the cubby space. Honda Civic 10th gen Installed a iPhone dock IMG_9558 Honda Civic 10th gen Installed a iPhone dock IMG_9559 Honda Civic 10th gen Installed a iPhone dock IMG_9560

skrappss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder
Country flag
I installed the Mophie wireless charger and it works great. It's also in a good location for using navigation from phone while driving (or checking CivicX ;)).
Honda Civic 10th gen Installed a iPhone dock IMG_2107.JPG

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Here is my setup. The holder attaches to one of the passenger chairs seat slider bolt. I like it because it still free's up my cubby space but a little inconvenient for your passenger if they have very big legs. :)
Do you guys know that you can tuck your phone in that slot where the USB wire goes through. Not sure if Honda intended this. But it surely makes sense if you don't use your phone screen while driving. Even my iPhone 7 plus fits perfectly and still have the cubby space. IMG_9558.jpg IMG_9559.jpg IMG_9560.jpg
I tried one of those seat bolt-mounted holders and it kept the chair from being able to move all the way forward. You don't experience that?

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried one of those seat bolt-mounted holders and it kept the chair from being able to move all the way forward. You don't experience that?
Yes your front passenger seat won't be able to go all the way forward but it was never an issue with us, you will have to move your seat very close towards the dash. We still have a lot of room front and back. I'd rather have this small inconvenience than cover my air vents or take away my cubby spaces.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Yes your front passenger seat won't be able to go all the way forward but it was never an issue with us, you will have to move your seat very close towards the dash. We still have a lot of room front and back. I'd rather have this small inconvenience than cover my air vents or take away my cubby spaces.
How long is the long "flex" part of your mount?
Sponsored