Infotainment software update?

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Same here. I have 2016 civic sedan touring with 1.F186.69. Stopped by closest Honda dealer bringing copy of TSB 17-048 and TSB 17-049 last week. They applied the purple USB by following the documents, but version is still the same. I went there yesterday again to say they failed to update. They tried it again, but still the same version. They also told me that USB is the latest for VIN associated to my car and can't do anything else. I gave up the dealer and went to another dealer today. This dealer applied the software update by following those TSB. However, the version is still the same. Only change is SW version described in TSB 17-049 has been updated from 005/003 to 005/004. I claimed software version should be updated to 1.F190.25 as shown in TSB 17-048, but service advisory said do not worry about that version number.
I am so tired but I need to go the dealer again because I noticed bluetooth device (iPhone) can't be attached after today's upgrade.
Any luck, they said the same to me.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Same here. I have 2016 civic sedan touring with 1.F186.69. Stopped by closest Honda dealer bringing copy of TSB 17-048 and TSB 17-049 last week. They applied the purple USB by following the documents, but version is still the same. I went there yesterday again to say they failed to update. They tried it again, but still the same version. They also told me that USB is the latest for VIN associated to my car and can't do anything else. I gave up the dealer and went to another dealer today. This dealer applied the software update by following those TSB. However, the version is still the same. Only change is SW version described in TSB 17-049 has been updated from 005/003 to 005/004. I claimed software version should be updated to 1.F190.25 as shown in TSB 17-048, but service advisory said do not worry about that version number.
I am so tired but I need to go the dealer again because I noticed bluetooth device (iPhone) can't be attached after today's upgrade.
You might do better to start calling Honda Dealers, to find one that has successfully done the TSB update, and then go to that one.

"service advisory said do not worry" = GO AWAY, (we don't really have a clue).

================ Tech Info ===============

TSB A17-048
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/118756/A17-048

Audio-Navigation System Update Device (purple USB update tool)
07AAU-TBAA1A0
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~update~audio~system~07aau-tbaa1a0.html

$54
------------------------------------
TSB A17-049

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/118756/A17-049
07AAU-TBAA1A0 (same as for TSB A17-048)

Reading the TSB detailed instructions, it seems very easy .. even a Honda Dealer's Technician SHOULD be able to follow those detailed instructions, and get it right.

The point is, at what part of those instructions is it going wrong ,, if indeed, they are really following them correctly ??

Last edited:

Darsay

First Name
Darsay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5d 2017 Hatchback
Country flag
Can someone tell me where to get the update image for Civic 2017 Hatchback for Europe with Russian Language

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

kenji.i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring Lunar Silver Metallic
Country flag
You might do better to start calling Honda Dealers, to find one that has successfully done the TSB update, and then go to that one.

"service advisory said do not worry" = GO AWAY, (we don't really have a clue).

================ Tech Info ===============

TSB A17-048
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/118756/A17-048

Audio-Navigation System Update Device (purple USB update tool)
07AAU-TBAA1A0
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~update~audio~system~07aau-tbaa1a0.html

$54
TSB A17-049

Reading the TSB detailed instructions, it seems very easy .. even a Honda Dealer's Technician SHOULD be able to follow those detailed instructions, and get it right.

The point is, at what part of those instructions is it going wrong ,, if indeed, they are really following them correctly ??
Thank you for the suggestion. Two different dealers couldn't succeed the update, I doubt other than their operation such as a wrong USB. Anyway, I will call to dealers first to confirm their experience when I go next time.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for the suggestion. Two different dealers couldn't succeed the update, I doubt other than their operation such as a wrong USB. Anyway, I will call to dealers first to confirm their experience when I go next time.
Personally, I would not waste my time with the Dealer
I would just but the USB upgrade "online" and then do the update myself when it arrived.

If it works.. Great..
If it does not, you are back to where you started, with no Update, so no signs that you messed with it as far as future Warranty is concerned.

I cannot imagine it NOT working, if you faithfully follow the detailed Instructions..

"Even a Caveman could do it" !!! (but obviously not a Dealer)

Save a whole lot of time -- and you could always get your money back on the USB drive, by offering for sale in the forum or on Ebay.. On Ebay you could probably get more than you paid for it !!!:doh:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Save a whole lot of time -- and you could always get your money back on the USB drive, by offering for sale in the forum or on Ebay.. On Ebay you could probably get more than you paid for it !!!:doh:
No wonder the Dealers have problems getting updates to work .. it's just one hell of a mess. !!

$54
TSB A17-049

So I bit the bullet, and purchased the Update.

07AAU-TBAA1A0 Purple USB for Civic

First Thing. The USB is labeled 2016 CIVIC !!!

Instructions with USB stick warn about putting the USB stick into your computer !!
"WARNING -- may damage USB stick !!" ????

Well, might if you re-formatted it or wrote to it .. but not just READING IT.
Maybe real reason for the warning is that HONDA do not want you looking at what is on the Drive !!

A little exploring showed that software on this Drive is version 1.F190.25 Oct 28, 2016

AND THIS IS MEANT TO BE AN UPDATE ???

My 2018 SI has software rev 1.F1A2.34 March 15, 2018 (From Factory.. before any updates)

There is also an 07AAU-TBBA2A0 usb drive 1.F194.30
and a 07AAU-TBBA3A0 usb drive (Touring only) 1.F194.82

SO even the latest one 07AAU=TBBA3A0 ( 1.F194.82) is earlier to what is in my 2018 si ( 1.F1A2.24 mar 15, 2018)

--
TSB A17-048 says to update with 07AAU-TBAA1A0 (same as for TSB A17-048)
but that is 2016 software update !!! 1.F190.25

Why would I need my current Mar 15, 2018 to be DOWN-DATE to Oct 28, 2016 ??

CRAZY -- Makes no "LOGICAL" sense at all ??

------------
I have no HeadUnit issues with the factory installed software (Mar 15, 2018), so the last thing I want to do is have the Dealer mess with it.

Out Of Interest.. (so we are comparing Oranges with Oranges) or actually 2018 SI, with 2018 Si --

2018 Si Owners... what is YOUR current Software Version ???

Last edited:

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
If anyone purchased the USB drive, any chance you could image it and share it? I'd be willing to paypal a few bucks for it.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The big question is -- What Image ???

If you search Google, you can find some posting images, but it is not clear what version they are .. typically they are just called update.zip !!! VERY DANGEROUS

The last thing you want to do is update your unit with an image that is not designed for that particular unit or year/model.

Determining what is the right image is the issue.. It defiantly is not clear from the little information that appears to be available, even on the Honda Dealers "Subscription" Service Website.

Also, from what I have read, if you update to a firmware with a later SW #, and it is the wrong firmware for your car, you cannot undo it, or go back to an earlier "Correct" version. (Maybe you can with Honda Hack, but it all started to get very complex and messy)

Total FUBAR

So unless you want to live very dangerously, and risk having to buy a new Unit (outside of warranty). because you tried to update it yourself and failed, it might be better to let the Dealer take that risk, and if they mess up, you/they SHOULD be covered under warranty.

I am inquisitive but I am NOT going to mess with the Warrantied Unit in my car.

Instead I purchased a used unit from a totaled car, the same model & type/trim as mine (Coupe Si), which has the same part number as my car's unit, I am "Playing/Experimenting" with that...
If I screw it up, I am only out by what I paid for the test unit on EBay, and I still have a working unit in the car.

Now, here is the KICKER !!

The Radio Unit I purchased on EBay is from the same year/mode;/trim as mine, and the Radio has exactly the same Part number .. and the car came from Florida (USA) - not from Canada.. (Have Vin# car) .. but the Unit has the internal GARMIN GPS app "enabled" and working !!!! (and is NOT Honda Hacked)​

Explain that one !!! :doh:

Last edited:

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
What is the current software version for a 2017 Civic?
This is the big problem for Honda and all these other auto companies that burden us with their crappy infotainment systems. They don't let us know what the plans are for upgrades and yes, they will charge you for them and because they really don't know what they're doing they may give you a previous version that what you already have.
In my case I'm one that NEVER goes to the dealer because they're incompetent and sitting around a dealership is one of the most depressing experiences in the world. Thankfully, these infotainment systems are so terrible and weak there's no real advantage to upgrading the software.

Reactions: mjh

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Now, here is the KICKER !!

The Radio Unit I purchased on EBay is from the same year/mode;/trim as mine, and the Radio has exactly the same Part number .. and the car came from Florida (USA) - not from Canada.. (Have Vin# car) .. but the Unit has the internal GARMIN GPS app "enabled" and working !!!! (and is NOT Honda Hacked)​

Explain that one !!! :doh:
Can you tell me what the internal Garmin GPS does? I mean, I know what GPS does but since my 2017 Si doesn't have NAV I don't know what having GPS would do. Thanks!

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
This is the big problem for Honda and all these other auto companies that burden us with their crappy infotainment systems. They don't let us know what the plans are for upgrades and yes, they will charge you for them and because they really don't know what they're doing they may give you a previous version that what you already have.
In my case I'm one that NEVER goes to the dealer because they're incompetent and sitting around a dealership is one of the most depressing experiences in the world. Thankfully, these infotainment systems are so terrible and weak there's no real advantage to upgrading the software.
It’s pretty simple.
For the 10th generation civic, there is no plan for upgrades. Don’t wait for or except them. Period. They scrapped this system and have moved on to ka system that users can updgeade in the accord and odyssey and you’ll likely see it in the 11th gen Civic.
Sponsored

Reactions: mjh