Infotainment software update?

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
No defense here - I've got a laundry list of issues with my 2019 RDX's infotainment system. I'm just saying that I drive and have owned a lot of different vehicles and frequently see problems with most infotainment systems that slowly or never get addressed. Sadly, one of the better ones seems to be Chrysler's Uconnect systems in brands I'd never park in my garage for more than a week. :)
Sadly, I agree. I went from a 2013 Dodge Dart with the 8.4 inch UConnect system to my current 2017 Civic. I knew buying the Civic the infotainment wasn't the best but I'd take the reliability and the solid engineering over the Dart's superior infotainment any day.
Sponsored

mo_92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
As I stated in previous threads, I updated my 2017 EX-T sedan with the 197 firmware update and everything works except any audio program in Android Auto. The infotainment won't let you flash back to a lower numbered firmware so I am stuck now with Android Auto being broken. I was hoping a higher number firmware would be released specifically for my radio so I can correct it. Technically the 197 update wasn't meant for my radio but I flashed it anyway as have others. Everything else if fine it just screws up Android Auto. I don't know how to approach this with the dealer since I did something I shouldn't of.
I just spoke to my dealer while i was doing an oil change and let them know that the audio on AA was not working. There have been known issues with the headunits not working correctly in some cases. In my case, they simple let me know that they will order in a new HU and let me know when it is in so i can schedule an appointment. I have a pretty good relationship with the service advisor, but in any case, this is usually the easiest way to resolve such issues instead of diagnosing for who knows how long. I would simply go to them and let them know that you have had issues on and off throughout and as of recent this has been happening.

Just my two cents.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I joined this form in 2015 to see how Honda was going to handle the buggy broken infotainment system.
The short answer is that it hasn't.
It ditched the platform it developed and rolled out a new one in the 2019 Accord et all that doesn't share any code with the platform in the Civic.
Since Dec 2015 at best there have been 2 or 3 updates that addressed some glaring bugs and patched some security holes aimed at closing security holes that allowed people access to the platform.

People keep asking when will there been an update.
There is no when. Rather than fix this Honda dumped it and moved on and aren't devoting resources to it any further. Externally responded to the criticism of the lack of hardware buttons, which also gave them something to change for a mid-generation refresh in a market where there is increasingly little to add without significantly raising cost.

What we bought is what we have short of heavy investment by a 3rd party, which 3 years in, seems increasingly unlikely.

This is out of the hands of the dealer. Dealers don't have software developers on hand. They only have the what Honda provides them, and all that Honda has provided them for this platform are thumb drives with updates, not the power to reinstall, and not the power to roll back changes.

The long development and release cycles of cars are inherently out of sync with the annual update nature of phones the consumer public has grown used to.
But even by those standard Honda has been slow on the uptake. But they have at least now worked out a platform that allows them to push out updates in a more reasonable manner, but these cars are not a part of it.
I test drove a 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT today. I didn't get it because I don't want the hatch, but I loved the power and the ride, and was very impressed with the outstanding infotainment. Value for the money is very strong. I'm pretty certain my next car is going to be either the Elantra Sport or upcoming Forte GT, which both have the same 1.6T as the Elantra GT. Honda sells plenty of Civics, but it could have sold at least one more if it had addressed its glaring (over four years now!) flaw. Oh well.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I test drove a 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT today. I didn't get it because I don't want the hatch, but I loved the power and the ride, and was very impressed with the outstanding infotainment. Value for the money is very strong. I'm pretty certain my next car is going to be either the Elantra Sport or upcoming Forte GT, which both have the same 1.6T as the Elantra GT. Honda sells plenty of Civics, but it could have sold at least one more if it had addressed its glaring (over four years now!) flaw. Oh well.
More than likely they system they put into the Accord, insight, etc will be what makes it into next year’s Civic.
The flaws have been addressed. But they addressed them by dumping this system and starting over.

It would be nice if they went the extra mile and gave exsist if owners the option to upgrade, even as a paid upgrade I think a fair number of people would bite, but it would require a hardware upgrade most likely, not just a software update so the numbers just might not add up.

Elantra definetly delivers more features for less money. It’s what I had before.
The far more “traditional” design they switched to leaves a lot to be desired for me personally.
But I’d probably take ho hum design with similar performance and a stable infotainment system. And man do I miss the smartphone remote start in the winters. More than I thought I would.

Reactions: mjh

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I've test driven several hyundai's the power is only good because they are pushing boost below 1300 RPM hence the bad MPG's. No Limited slip differential and massive loss of value just about strikes that car out for me as a possible new car purchase.

kenji.i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring Lunar Silver Metallic
Country flag
I have a 2016 Touring Civic and I am on 1.F186.69. They said there is no software update even though I mentioned the TSB 17-048 and it shows the software on that should be updated to 1.F190.25. They said they would not update it. Can anyone with the same vehicle and trim as me confirm if this is the latest update or not?
Same here. I have 2016 civic sedan touring with 1.F186.69. Stopped by closest Honda dealer bringing copy of TSB 17-048 and TSB 17-049 last week. They applied the purple USB by following the documents, but version is still the same. I went there yesterday again to say they failed to update. They tried it again, but still the same version. They also told me that USB is the latest for VIN associated to my car and can't do anything else. I gave up the dealer and went to another dealer today. This dealer applied the software update by following those TSB. However, the version is still the same. Only change is SW version described in TSB 17-049 has been updated from 005/003 to 005/004. I claimed software version should be updated to 1.F190.25 as shown in TSB 17-048, but service advisory said do not worry about that version number.
I am so tired but I need to go the dealer again because I noticed bluetooth device (iPhone) can't be attached after today's upgrade.

Angus

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
I have issues all the time in my 2018 Civic Sedan SI with AA audio. Anything I play though it, Spotify, Amazon, MP3's, anything... will randomly pause. Seems to be getting worse. Just did it near a dozen times in a twenty minute drive. Anyone experience this or have a fix? Any recent updates know of? Thank you.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I have issues all the time in my 2018 Civic Sedan SI with AA audio. Anything I play though it, Spotify, Amazon, MP3's, anything... will randomly pause. Seems to be getting worse. Just did it near a dozen times in a twenty minute drive. Anyone experience this or have a fix? Any recent updates know of? Thank you.
There are no known updates for the 2018s.
Only your dealer will know. Honda closed public acesss to service bulliteins.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'm wondering if eventually there will be a way to swap in 2019, 2020 head units into the originals. I'm assuming this would be a climate control + head unit swap, but i feel like that will come eventually and be a life saver. i bought a 2018 convincing myself that volume knobs are over-rated. I love the car but i'd totally have spent up for a 2019 if I could have.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm wondering if eventually there will be a way to swap in 2019, 2020 head units into the originals. I'm assuming this would be a climate control + head unit swap, but i feel like that will come eventually and be a life saver. i bought a 2018 convincing myself that volume knobs are over-rated. I love the car but i'd totally have spent up for a 2019 if I could have.
Wiring is dfferent. I wouldn't hold out hope.

lyndean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
2019s are basically the same software anyway.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
2019s are basically the same software anyway.
I get that it's basically the same, but push buttons for climate controls and the volume knob would just help. I get only replacing 1 not working, but i'm just curious why swapping both parts out wouldn't then work.
Sponsored