Infotainment software update?

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
They could easily update to a new version of Android that has better memory management. Android in itself is not bad at all. If you remember Ford's system was built on a Microsoft platform and it was horrible. They just switched to QNX which is the same OS FCA's Uconnect system uses. I agree, the radio is fine most of the time for me but it still can use an update, even if it is just another skin that makes it easier to navigate. I've used both included skins so far and you seem to give up features regardless of what skin you pick. They need to overhaul the existing system and allow the owner to update or make it easy for the dealer to do so. I hope Honda is listening to current customers, however when you are selling 300,000 Civics a year in NA, they probably feel like they don't need to.
Sponsored

philfry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2016 Honda HR-V EX
Country flag
They could easily update to a new version of Android that has better memory management. Android in itself is not bad at all. If you remember Ford's system was built on a Microsoft platform and it was horrible. They just switched to QNX which is the same OS FCA's Uconnect system uses. I agree, the radio is fine most of the time for me but it still can use an update, even if it is just another skin that makes it easier to navigate. I've used both included skins so far and you seem to give up features regardless of what skin you pick. They need to overhaul the existing system and allow the owner to update or make it easy for the dealer to do so. I hope Honda is listening to current customers, however when you are selling 300,000 Civics a year in NA, they probably feel like they don't need to.
The HR-V uses QNX still and looks mostly similar to the newer units but it is rock solid stable. I want my infotainment system to be stable more than anything. I'm sure the Consumer Reports complaints matters to Honda more than anything and they are probably working on stabilizing the infotainment system for the Civic refresh. They added a volume knob to the CR-V due to complaints.

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
The HR-V uses QNX still and looks mostly similar to the newer units but it is rock solid stable. I want my infotainment system to be stable more than anything. I'm sure the Consumer Reports complaints matters to Honda more than anything and they are probably working on stabilizing the infotainment system for the Civic refresh. They added a volume knob to the CR-V due to complaints.
That's been the assumption for the 19 refresh, but will they really do anything for the current owners? Anyone know if the new Accord's system is still Android based?

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Android is fine and I program some mods for the software in custom ROMs however it's chronically unstable. Even if you used Android now. Jellybean is 2013. There has been kit Kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nougat, and now Oreo. That's a lot of versions since jellybean. So it should be stable.

I love Android just using it as an OS for a car isn't good. Cell phone is fine and less consequential however when stuff isn't working on the car or cannot be controlled like the headlights etc it's not ideal for a primary OS.

Look at what's happening with the Pixel 2. Google is cutting edge but always in beta mode. Nothing is ever 100%. As much as I hate apple they have stability down better

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...works 99.99% of the time...
This is why nothing will be changing any time soon. When the whole line-up of Hondas gets a refresh, there will be an updated software package; for NEW models. There's no financial benefit to test and modify newer software being pursued for newer platforms to extend certifiable backward compatibility. It would probably shock most people if we were floated a ballpark figure. It is doubtful anyone could. And there is likely not some simple OS Update/Upgrade being withheld or any such nonsense like planned obsolescence at play. The expense of doing the things people are mistakenly assuming to be simple isn't exclusive or internal to Honda. They went with Android for a reason, and most of that system's hardware is probably off-the-shelf (automotive grade) parts. The pixie dust that makes it proprietary, and also prohibitively expensive AF to give everyone here what they want, is the software drivers for all the other generic device modules that make it an automotive system. All those things an Android Phone doesn't have, but are standard across makes and models of vehicles.
It's an ironic problem in computing systems- generalizing everything for interoperability and lower costs avoids having to redesign something top-to-bottom for minor changes or swapping of device modules, while breaking all the subsystems down as far as is beneficial to those same ends exponentially increases the surface area of risk where upgrades are concerned. This is the inherent difference in product design models between, coincidentally enough, Android and iPhone: There is one OS in each, but Apple controls the hardware in a product they design and manufacture. Android devices have broad hardware sets, which cause some types of functionality or software services to require way more powerful hardware than Apple's. This is why Android devices started receiving octa core CPUs when most people's PCs were still dual core. Flexibility requires complexity, and the manifestation of that is less efficient use of resources.

Example: A particular generation of TPMS module is certified for a spectrum of compatibility with matching drivers. The manufacturer agrees to produce for a duration of time and level of support (software security, updates, maintenance, etc.). Imagine every other aspect of the vehicle is similar in that the physical components used are bound to specific software, and everyone but the TPMS Folks are altruistic; will write and certify drivers for anything Honda could need. This is being overly generous to the example, and would never occur. The company providing Honda these TPMS modules (remember it is both hardware plus the software drivers that integrate with the vehicle) makes a majority of revenue in this division selling TPMS modules to Mazda and other manufacturers that design around a sensor in the valve stem, rather than the ABS as Honda does. That side of the division's business is inherently multifaceted, but not the side Honda deals with. The TPMS Company does good business with Honda, but isn't going to apply the resources to design modules for future Honda Vehicles on top of the aforementioned support of current designs, as well as, dragging the contracted support revenue through the mud by willingly allowing the scope of that support to creep along into the future. Even if they are willing, it would make all aspects of their relationship with Honda more expensive... for Honda. Keping in mind that the Civic, and Display Audio System within it, is not comprised of just a TPMS Module and the word "Honda" and the immensity of what we're asking for should begin to take form. It's not really exponential, it's more like a factorial growth of complexity, because all the interacting components could be subject to various hardware and software changes and the volume of permutations (you cannot snap your fingers and require all owners to always update) to maintain compatibility racks up.

Plus, it's doubtful Honda would even apply thought to upgrading the OS on the Display Audio System when every major automotive review couldn't give two craps if regularly using it cured major diseases. They hated the system THAT much. No one griped too much about it in the CTR, but the awesome traits there are more than redeeming for the Display Audio. Kind of how celebrities don't get ripped on for stuff until they fall out of favor.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
^^^
Very well said. I need to add that "abandoning" older year models applies to almost every automobile company. I have a '14 BMW and BMW hasn't published an update for infotainment software in a few years. And yes, the BMW's system has bugs too.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
This is why nothing will be changing any time soon. When the whole line-up of Hondas gets a refresh, there will be an updated software package; for NEW models. There's no financial benefit to test and modify newer software being pursued for newer platforms to extend certifiable backward compatibility. It would probably shock most people if we were floated a ballpark figure. It is doubtful anyone could. And there is likely not some simple OS Update/Upgrade being withheld or any such nonsense like planned obsolescence at play. The expense of doing the things people are mistakenly assuming to be simple isn't exclusive or internal to Honda. They went with Android for a reason, and most of that system's hardware is probably off-the-shelf (automotive grade) parts. The pixie dust that makes it proprietary, and also prohibitively expensive AF to give everyone here what they want, is the software drivers for all the other generic device modules that make it an automotive system. All those things an Android Phone doesn't have, but are standard across makes and models of vehicles.
It's an ironic problem in computing systems- generalizing everything for interoperability and lower costs avoids having to redesign something top-to-bottom for minor changes or swapping of device modules, while breaking all the subsystems down as far as is beneficial to those same ends exponentially increases the surface area of risk where upgrades are concerned. This is the inherent difference in product design models between, coincidentally enough, Android and iPhone: There is one OS in each, but Apple controls the hardware in a product they design and manufacture. Android devices have broad hardware sets, which cause some types of functionality or software services to require way more powerful hardware than Apple's. This is why Android devices started receiving octa core CPUs when most people's PCs were still dual core. Flexibility requires complexity, and the manifestation of that is less efficient use of resources.

Example: A particular generation of TPMS module is certified for a spectrum of compatibility with matching drivers. The manufacturer agrees to produce for a duration of time and level of support (software security, updates, maintenance, etc.). Imagine every other aspect of the vehicle is similar in that the physical components used are bound to specific software, and everyone but the TPMS Folks are altruistic; will write and certify drivers for anything Honda could need. This is being overly generous to the example, and would never occur. The company providing Honda these TPMS modules (remember it is both hardware plus the software drivers that integrate with the vehicle) makes a majority of revenue in this division selling TPMS modules to Mazda and other manufacturers that design around a sensor in the valve stem, rather than the ABS as Honda does. That side of the division's business is inherently multifaceted, but not the side Honda deals with. The TPMS Company does good business with Honda, but isn't going to apply the resources to design modules for future Honda Vehicles on top of the aforementioned support of current designs, as well as, dragging the contracted support revenue through the mud by willingly allowing the scope of that support to creep along into the future. Even if they are willing, it would make all aspects of their relationship with Honda more expensive... for Honda. Keping in mind that the Civic, and Display Audio System within it, is not comprised of just a TPMS Module and the word "Honda" and the immensity of what we're asking for should begin to take form. It's not really exponential, it's more like a factorial growth of complexity, because all the interacting components could be subject to various hardware and software changes and the volume of permutations (you cannot snap your fingers and require all owners to always update) to maintain compatibility racks up.

Plus, it's doubtful Honda would even apply thought to upgrading the OS on the Display Audio System when every major automotive review couldn't give two craps if regularly using it cured major diseases. They hated the system THAT much. No one griped too much about it in the CTR, but the awesome traits there are more than redeeming for the Display Audio. Kind of how celebrities don't get ripped on for stuff until they fall out of favor.

What you are saying is a good point and 99.999% is good enough when balancing out time and money when it comes to these issues. In my opinion, Honda should have contracted with an actual software company like Microsoft and had something specifically applied to this. Given my experience with Android, at best it is always in beta mode and there are always bugs in stable versions, not to mention taking Android auto and making it compatible with Apple and Android.

Just a poorly designed product overall and will likely never see an update. If I had known all this I'd have bought the LX version instead of the EX even though my unit is working properly. I guess I got lucky, but the Civics esp Touring has had too many issues to be acceptable for what they are charging.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The headunit in my 2018 Si works and sounds great. No complaints here.

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
^ you haven't heard a BOSE in a Mazda then lol

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
just be glad you don't have the anemic unit my WRX came with. Most bluetooth speakers sound better than this thing. I think its only rated at like 60 watts or something pathetic. I'd gladly give up my volume knob for something that doesn't sound like AM radio.

(I since replaced my head unit with a kenwood, which I hate almost as much for other reasons... one of them being a volume knob that only works correctly sometimes... lol)

Woodydog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback sport touring
^ you haven't heard a BOSE in a Mazda then lol
Got gf a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 with the bose . Thought I was going to out do her with 12 speckers she only has 10 . Not even close

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
Dude factory BOSE kicks ass. I had this in my 2015 GT and loved it. Miss it. Honda blows in the audio dept
Sponsored