Infotainment software update?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I just gave up on the radio. I just use my phone for everything now and just use the radio for it's bluetooth function. It's not worth the hassle and streaming everything from my phone has worked out great. Just get a good phone mount and use the bluetooth. I switched to a streaming only plan for Sirius XM (just use the app), have all my digital music on my phone, and use Android Auto/Google Maps/Waze directly on my phone. It's been great.
That's the same conclusion I came to, in the 2018 Si.

And "if" you do load anything much more onto the Honda HU (Honda hack enabled), it craws to a halt. Those apps you thought you wanted on the HU, run far better on your phone.
(Especially as each year the Smartphones get faster, and the Honda Head Units stay the same !!)

I only wish Honda did not limit the apps that AA can use from your phone.
I assume they believe if they can control/limit the apps, they can control/limit their liability of being accused of having their HU cause over distractions, leading to accidents.

I am waiting to see how in future years they can Dumb-Down the Speedometer.. its so distracting !!
Moving pointers ! number you have to read ! .. how about a big RED Light instead, that tells you when you are going too fast, and then you can take the car into the dealer, and pay to have them tell you how much over the speed limit you were doing !!
(sarcasm mode : OFF)

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I only wish Honda did not limit the apps that AA can use from your phone.
Google, not Honda, especially after people were putting video players into AA. However, there are work-arounds (besides rooting your phone), e.g., OBD2AA to let you use Torque Pro.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Google, not Honda, especially after people were putting video players into AA. However, there are work-arounds (besides rooting your phone), e.g., OBD2AA to let you use Torque Pro.
That is cool.. Emil Borconi Szedressy (Developer of OBD2AA) is a miracle worker.
I am using his "Headunit Reloaded" to run AA on my HU in the Maxima.

Thanks for the pointer to OBD2AA -- finally I can use my OBD2 Wifi Adapter to see some Gauges, ( and keep an eye on my Accel & Braking for the next 8 weeks while I am qualifying for reduced Insurance cost, with their driving monitor).

Limiting to 7 MPH/sec is not easy in a Si !!!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought it was Honda that defined the Whitelist in their Honda Head Units, to define what Apps the "Google Android Auto" system would allow to operate over the system. ?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The whitelist (in the head unit) determines which apps can be installed on the head unit itself. That is one reason why the head unit needs to be 'rooted' to install apps like Tunerview, Waze, Torque Pro, etc., on the head unit. For example, Torque Pro installed on the head unit doesn't need the phone to work. (It needs a WiFi OBD2 adapter, though - not a BT one).

Apps running in Android Auto run on your phone, and only use your head unit for display and input (and some other stuff). Google determines which apps (on your phone) can interface with Android Auto. Waze is about the most well-known. Waze wasn't allowed in AA for the longest time but eventually Waze developed a simplified interface that kept Google happy. (Google owns Waze.) OTOH, VLC Player (installed on your phone) was allowed to run in AA, then it wasn't, then it was, currently it isn't ...

... and keep an eye on my Accel & Braking for the next 8 weeks while I am qualifying for reduced Insurance cost, with their driving monitor).

Limiting to 7 MPH/sec is not easy in a Si !!!
I did that too ... for 100 days in my case. I scored the maximum possible discount from my insurer (25%), but it took a lot of very boring driving, plus some understanding of how the scoring algorithm worked.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did that too ... for 100 days in my case. I scored the maximum possible discount from my insurer (25%), but it took a lot of very boring driving, plus some understanding of how the scoring algorithm worked.
Nationwide offers up to 40%.
If you use their OBD2 device, it is for that car.
If you use the Smartphone app, (for each driver separately) on the Policy, they average the score of the drivers, and then apply it to ALL cars, current & future on that policy.
You cannot mix OBD2 & Smartphone while qualifying.

Smartphone is by far the better choice (especially if you forget to turn it on sometimes ) when you "Feel the need - for speed"

Currently both of us on the policy are each up to 29%, and it is climbing every week. :)
Only 6 more weeks to go

Last edited:

Musclebadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I just gave up on the radio. I just use my phone for everything now and just use the radio for it's bluetooth function. It's not worth the hassle and streaming everything from my phone has worked out great. Just get a good phone mount and use the bluetooth. I switched to a streaming only plan for Sirius XM (just use the app), have all my digital music on my phone, and use Android Auto/Google Maps/Waze directly on my phone. It's been great.
This is the same conclusion I have. I am looking at seeing if it's possible to use mirrorkink on the head unit or how to get it to work.

mo_92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Not sure about the 2018 but in my 17 Si it’s readily available.
Under “info” it shows the version information, although it’s labeled as “applications”:

6674C160-92AF-4152-BE4C-7D053BF88D0C.jpeg

If you go through “settings” and go to “detail information”:

8372BEA8-C02F-42C1-900C-B68687824BCB.jpeg

Then you get into the actual android info and settings and it shows up as “build number”
BD8EE323-E18A-4D0F-8930-22FDFEE73703.jpeg

Figuring out what’s a more recent build then another is a little confusing since they don’t just do version 3.2, 3.3,4.1 etc. It’s in hexadecimal I believe. And good luck making sense of what is compatible with what as far as models and options and trim lines.
I have a 2017 Si Coupe and i updated my headunit to 1.F197.00
Looks like you have the same version. Are you having issues with your Android Auto not having any sound?
I upgraded thinking it would fix a few bugs but instead it backfired. I know others are having this issue as well, wondering if you were able to get it working.

rjackal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2010 Pilot EX Formerly '92 Accord

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

kvnhmmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I ran into the same issue a few weeks ago, but managed to fix it. It turns out, there's 2 steps of factory resets I needed to do to really clear out the pre-1.F197.00 settings from my head unit.

I don't remember the exact steps, but generally from the Home screen, if you swipe down, you first want to navigate through the Android UI to the to do a factory reset from there. Once you do that reset, I was able to reset my Maintenance minder in the Honda UI. However, I noticed some settings didn't reset, like my speaker balance and bass/mid/treble settings. So for good measure, I navigated to the factory reset option in the Honda UI (which now works after the initial reset from the Android UI), and that cleared the remaining settings that were unchanged after the 1st reset.

I wonder if the post-update Android Auto issues other people have had might be resolved with this 2-step reset. I use Carplay, so I have no way of testing to see if this also resolves the AA issue.
I have a 2017 Si Coupe and i updated my headunit to 1.F197.00
Looks like you have the same version. Are you having issues with your Android Auto not having any sound?
I upgraded thinking it would fix a few bugs but instead it backfired. I know others are having this issue as well, wondering if you were able to get it working.
mo_92, Have you tried this "2-step" factory reset in an attempt to resolve the Android Auto issue? I'm holding off on updating the head unit since I use AA almost daily.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This may be an appropriate place to post this list, rather than starting a new thread.

A list of 2018 Honda Civic Infotainment Display Unit Parts numbers.
Their price has dropped significantly since 2017 !!
Sponsored

Attachments