Improving shifting

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I had that problem to along with 3rd, after i did the adjustment its gone.
can you post a picture of what thing needs to be turned 2 1/2 turns clockwise?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Make sure you adjust the stop bolt asswell. Pretty easy all you have to do is losen a 12mm bolt at the back of the thing then after remove the pin that goes thru it

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't tried it, I heard it improves shifting and engagement. I don't want to jump into it yet because I feel at this point where I'm at I don't need to. Also I kinda wouldn't want to because eman says different
Removing the CDV will have absolutely no impact on shifting feel, and to be honest, neither will messing with the clutch. The adjustment you made would affect the characteristics of how the pressure plate pushes the friction plate against the flywheel, which has NOTHING to do with gear selection. By the time the clutch is engaging the flywheel, you've already made your gear selection.

The even gear "crunch" you feel is a result of cable linkage transmissions.

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Removing the CDV will have absolutely no impact on shifting feel, and to be honest, neither will messing with the clutch. The adjustment you made would affect the characteristics of how the pressure plate pushes the friction plate against the flywheel, which has NOTHING to do with gear selection. By the time the clutch is engaging the flywheel, you've already made your gear selection.

The even gear "crunch" you feel is a result of cable linkage transmissions.
Your wrong my friend when you push down on the clutch the pressure plate realizes pressure on the clutch which means the adjustment i did does have to do with it because it absolutely changed the way it feels but of course adding solid bushings would definitely help guiding the gears in there place no doubt. I just drove my car this morning and the gears where sliding into place perfectly. No more cruch in the cold morning

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your wrong my friend when you push down on the clutch the pressure plate realizes pressure on the clutch which means the adjustment i did does have to do with it because it absolutely changed the way it feels but of course adding solid bushings would definitely help guiding the gears in there place no doubt. I just drove my car this morning and the gears where sliding into place perfectly. No more cruch in the cold morning
Which were you experiencing, gear grind and lockout or shifter crunch? The gear grind and lockout is basically what happens when your gear collar aka "sliding gear" or "synchronizer" and individual gears are not in sync when you attempt to couple them (which would cause a grinding noise and create a feeling of lockout). In which case then yes, adjusting the clutch would fix that. But if you're talking about the even gear shifter crunch (ie, entering 2nd, 4th, 6th) that everyone feels, the clutch has nothing to do with that.

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which were you experiencing, gear grind and lockout or shifter crunch? The gear grind and lockout is basically what happens when your gear collar aka "sliding gear" or "synchronizer" and individual gears are not in sync when you attempt to couple them (which would cause a grinding noise and create a feeling of lockout). In which case then yes, adjusting the clutch would fix that. But if you're talking about the even gear shifter crunch (ie, entering 2nd, 4th, 6th) that everyone feels, the clutch has nothing to do with that.
Ik what you mean, what i mean is notchy shifting like forcing gears in. you where thinking about it to much lol ik what you're saying though. What you are pretty much saying is the way the gears go into place

OP
OP
Jes_si562

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I should of tittle my thread eliminating notchy shifting lol

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I should of tittle my thread eliminating notchy shifting lol
No cuz that makes it sound more like the 2nd issue i was talking about.

1st issue is gear grind - you feel it in your shifter and pedals, caused by too short of a clutch pressure fork throw, clutch doesn't fully disengage from flywheel.

2nd issue is shifter crunch - you only feel it in your shifter, primarily due to the fact that our cars use a steel cable to connect the shifter lever to the transmission

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Any updates to this? The shifter will smoothly and perfectly slide into gear, and other times, it will "crunch" into gear as if the end of the gate had a series of teeth as someone best describes it.

I have the OEM type r shifter assembly with acuity springs, rocker. I Have NOT installed the cable shifter bushing Yet.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Any updates to this? The shifter will smoothly and perfectly slide into gear, and other times, it will "crunch" into gear as if the end of the gate had a series of teeth as someone best describes it.

I have the OEM type r shifter assembly with acuity springs, rocker. I Have NOT installed the cable shifter bushing Yet.
Are you feeling that in 2nd gear alone?

Deleted member 47337

Yea 2nd and 4th. Just an odd thing where some gears would slide into gear and others crunch.
Do the pedal adjustment.

I adjusted the slack for a lot of folks and made it snugg so when they press the clutch pedal, there is no slack or loose pedal before disengagement.

I also made the pedal throw slightly longer, and THAT is what completely elimated all of the crunching in between shifts for my buddies with their Type Rs.

If the problem still persists, then it's the shifter...probably need the solid bushings, an adjustment, or an all new shifter will elimiate the problem. You should be good after that....but the pedal adjustment does it, usually.

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Do the pedal adjustment.

I adjusted the slack for a lot of folks and made it snugg so when they press the clutch pedal, there is no slack or loose pedal before disengagement.

I also made the pedal throw slightly longer, and THAT is what completely elimated all of the crunching in between shifts for my buddies with their Type Rs.

If the problem still persists, then it's the shifter...probably need the solid bushings, an adjustment, or an all new shifter will elimiate the problem. You should be good after that....but the pedal adjustment does it, usually.
I have in the acuity full adjustable shifter and pedal spacer. Havent installed acuity cable bushing yet. We’ll see if that helps.
Sponsored