Importing Canadian market civic hatch 6-speed into USA

tgo63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Accord EX 2.4 4D Manual, 2007 SAAB 9-3 Manual, 2008 Honda Fit Manual, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Manual
Hello there,
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a new or, used, Canadian market civic hatch manual and importing it into US. I do know about warranty but I had no problems with many Honda I owned in the past plus the warranty would be gone in about 2 years due to miles I put on my cars. I used to live in Montreal area for about 10 years until 1996 when we decided to move to States. I still hold Canadian citizenship but based on what I learnt this will not help me much when importing car from Canada. I would be able to pay cash for the car in about few months. I followed some forum discussion about this subject but could not find anyone who actually imported current generation hatch into US. Would any of the Canadian owners be so nice and check for me if Canadian market hatch sticker states that the vehicle conforms to US emission standards? I'm quite sure the England made hatches are nearly identical for Canada and US markets and I will be able to obtain the letter from Honda stating so but I am trying to confirm what the emission sticker states. I would fly to Canada and then drive the vehicle back to Texas. Anyone can recommend good Canadian site to check used/new inventories

Here is the link to EPA site with the instructions how to read EPA sticker
Sponsored

Last edited:

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The EPA sticker is there because the emissions are harmonized between the USA and Canada, but there is no USA DOT sticker, and the car does not meet USA DOT requirements (e.g., no TPMS in Canada). Also, Honda had, and maybe still has, a policy of only issuing clearance letters to people moving between the two countries, and refusing to issue letters to grey market importers/exporters. That means that you have to use a third-party to certify the car (and add a TPMS, etc.), which is unlikely to be economically feasible.

(That's why there are Type R's sitting unsold in some Canadian dealerships, while some people in the USA are paying ADM.)

YMMV