Importing a '19 CTR from Canada to the US?

Riz5

First Name
Riz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo X
Hey guys and gals,

I was wondering if it is possible to buy a '19 CTR in Canada and import it to the U.S.? The reason I was thinking about doing so is because A. It is listed for $41,090 CAD which equals $31,099 so it is cheaper and B. It has Honda Lanewatch, wireless charging, and LED mirror turn signals which is not included in the U.S. spec CTR.

Does anyone have experience buying and importing a CTR from Canada or any new Honda vehicle for that matter? Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Unless you are a Canadian moving to the USA, Honda won't (hasn't in the past) issue clearance letters so you have to 'federalize' the car yourself or use a third-party, or wait 25 years IIRC. Honda (and other manufacturers) have deliberately killed grey market imports in either direction with subtle differences in specification and labelling that make it not-worth-your-while ... as a trivial example, there's no TPMS on Canadian Civics. The Canadian warranty is also void outside Canada (unless you're a Canadian resident on a trip to the USA).

OP
OP

Riz5

First Name
Riz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo X
That's a bummer to hear. Thanks for the info.

Unless you are a Canadian moving to the USA, Honda won't (hasn't in the past) issue clearance letters so you have to 'federalize' the car yourself or use a third-party, or wait 25 years IIRC. Honda (and other manufacturers) have deliberately killed grey market imports in either direction with subtle differences in specification and labelling that make it not-worth-your-while ... as a trivial example, there's no TPMS on Canadian Civics. The Canadian warranty is also void outside Canada (unless you're a Canadian resident on a trip to the USA).

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not how it works. It is NOT cheaper. You cannot go by just that number. It costs more to buy one in Canada when you convert. You’ll also pay double import duties...once to Canada and once more to US which makes no sense.

You cannot buy a new car from Canada and bring over. You can only buy used car.

Bottom line, you will pay through the nose for something easily obtainable here.

I’ve sold my cars to Canadians before.

OP
OP

Riz5

First Name
Riz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evo X
Yeah as I'm doing more research on the topic, it seems that would be the conclusion. I understand from a business perspective (Honda) but as a consumer it sucks. Oh well time to find a dealer in the U.S. that is selling a black '19 CTR close to MSRP. Thanks.

Not how it works. It is NOT cheaper. You cannot got by just that number. It costs more to buy one in Canada when you convert.

You cannot buy a new car from Canada and bring over. You can only buy used car.

Bottom line, you will pay through the nose for something easily obtainable here.

I’ve sold my cars to Canadians before.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
That's a weird one since it's just an algorithm off other sensors anyway.
Exactly. It costs nothing. Other makes/models in Canada have it. It is legally needed on cars sold in the USA (and the EU). Why did Honda go to the effort of - essentially - disabling that piece of code in Canadian Civics? I suspect that this thread tells you why ...

R-00758

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
I 'overpaid' adm locally just because it would've been a wash to go fly somewhere and pay taxes on it. (no sales tax in my state)

callmedh

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Oh well time to find a dealer in the U.S. that is selling a black '19 CTR close to MSRP. Thanks.
Willing to settle for an '18? Willing to travel? Both of these dealers show a black '18 CTR on the lot.

Call Joe Headley at Sons Honda in Mcdonough Georgia (404-784-1150) Asking price is MSRP + $995 but it has been sitting awhile.

Or call James Matthews at 423-599-1534 at Honda of Cleveland (Tennessee). Not sure of their exact price, but I bought mine there at sticker, and have referred others there who have been pleased.

Tell him David sent you.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I've retrofit the mirror turn signals onto the car and it isn't too bad. I have not yet had success with lane watch but I think someone else did it.

edit - I used the EDM Power Fold Mirrors which have integrated signals so I didn't disassemble the mirror or anything...

George

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Integra Type R (sold)
Country flag
I was always interested in this topic as my wife is Canadian and my brother and father in-law have brought their personal cars over on more than one occasion. My understanding is that if it's not manufactured in one of the NAFTA areas, there's a 2.5% tax of the blue book value placed on it. Even with the tax, it's still cheaper, however there's still the issue of the warranty and TPMS. I had to secure the compliance letter for my father in-laws chevy and ford and the process was very straight forward (Ford charged $35 CAD and it was free from chevy). All I had to do was provide the VIN.

ah gong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I’m from Vancouver Canada.n I believe almost no one can only pay msrp to get the R.i got mine on April this year. Total just 50k cad to drive away the R(forced to buy wheel lock,extra on white paint....).i heard some dealer forced the buyer to get $5g xpel warps,but only from bumper n part of fender n hood got warped.also still many people r waiting for the typeR at local.so I don’t think is good way to get one from Canada n bring it back to State.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Outside of lower mainland, the price goes down. Type R's were available below MSRP right from the Canadian intro (July 2017) in NL. Right now, it is the end of the season and anyone wanting a Type R east of Calgary should be able to get one that is sitting on a dealer's lot for well under MSRP if they have some negotiation skills. Heck, even this spring dealers in Quebec and the Maritimes were advertising $1000 off MSRP for in-stock Type R's.

CW was a $300 ootion for 2018.
Sponsored