iMessage and blindspot camera issue

Garagegoblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
If Siri and/or iMessage is going on, and I turn on the right turn signal, it kills Siri and/or iMessage. Anyone notice this issue yet? Is this also happening to the Android users? It almost seems it stops carplay from working while the camera is on. I will test more and see if I can get better examples of exact issues occurring. I have noticed it twice already.
Sponsored

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
I did not see any issues with Android Auto when the camera display interrupted.

OP
OP
Garagegoblin

Garagegoblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
I am confident it doesn't stop Carplay enough to stop streaming music, but if Siri and I are in a conversation :D the camera kills it.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I am confident it doesn't stop Carplay enough to stop streaming music, but if Siri and I are in a conversation :D the camera kills it.
Yeah. Same thing.
It may be a "feature".
Siri also won't activate if the camera is on.
I believe the same holds true for the backup camera.

The correct behavior should be that if Siri is already in use it stays that way.
I understand blocking it from starting though.

OP
OP
Garagegoblin

Garagegoblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
I have resorted to turning off the lane watch feature, since it has interrupted me one too many times. I have my side mirrors appropriately adjusted and use them regularly.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I have resorted to turning off the lane watch feature, since it has interrupted me one too many times. I have my side mirrors appropriately adjusted and use them regularly.
You can activate lane watch manually by pushing the button at the end of the blinker post.

bmartinson13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '97 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have noticed this as well and also find it annoying. However, I think this is more of an issue that would fall with iOS. I think the comparable phone action here would be if you hit home while in the middle of talking to Siri, she cancels out. So although I've been annoyed by it, I think it's just a bad UX than bug.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I have noticed this as well and also find it annoying. However, I think this is more of an issue that would fall with iOS. I think the comparable phone action here would be if you hit home while in the middle of talking to Siri, she cancels out. So although I've been annoyed by it, I think it's just a bad UX than bug.
It's intentional and it's not the phone.
Same thing happens using the in car voice command and both for the back up and lane watch cameras.
The voice command button also can't be initiated while using either camera.

They don't want you distracted while looking at cameras but that also means you can't make right turns and use it.

Lane watch is just useless at night anyway so in winter it's not much use.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
It's intentional and it's not the phone.
Same thing happens using the in car voice command and both for the back up and lane watch cameras.
The voice command button also can't be initiated while using either camera.

They don't want you distracted while looking at cameras but that also means you can't make right turns and use it.

Lane watch is just useless at night anyway so in winter it's not much use.
In the 2013 Accord coupe, I could use voice commands with Lanewatch on. I remember it specifically because if I issued a command that required me to choose a screen option, I would have to click the camera off to see my choices.

I am betting any Honda with the newer touchscreens that are even in the 2015 Civic and 2015 Accord do not allow this to happen, and that might be due to safety or possibly a difference in how the units were programmed.

kiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civc Touring
I have noticed this as well. At first I was annoyed but then I realized as the lane watch and other camera actions are "safety" features that are seen as priority. The fact that CarPlay doesn't restart the message afterwards is what I have a problem with. I'm not sure Carplay/android auto is as fully integrated as it needs to be for it to as useful as they would like it to be. Seems like they had the infotainment ecosystem built already and just threw in Carplay and AA as an after thought.

ai4px

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Fit, 2016 Civic
My 2015 Fit interrups Siri when I turn on the blinker and activate the right side camera. I assume it'll be the same in the civic once we get that car.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I have noticed this as well. At first I was annoyed but then I realized as the lane watch and other camera actions are "safety" features that are seen as priority. The fact that CarPlay doesn't restart the message afterwards is what I have a problem with. I'm not sure Carplay/android auto is as fully integrated as it needs to be for it to as useful as they would like it to be. Seems like they had the infotainment ecosystem built already and just threw in Carplay and AA as an after thought.
Integration isn't really how CarPlay and AA work.
The infotainment system basically just has an app that does nothing but make space for those apps to display on the cars screen rather than on your phone.

Whatever else the infotainment system is doing is completely separate.

Trying integrate directly with whatever random set up each car manufacturer has come up with would be a nightmare logistically.
Sponsored