I'm worried about my rims getting stolen

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
With how much technology comes with the Civic nowadays or heck even the Accord I'm surprised that Honda didn't think about adding some type of security alarm sensor on those wheels. Come on Honda that would definitely help with so many owners and their insurances!
Between the rotation of the hub/wheel and the heat during braking, this would be very difficult if not impossible to implement.
Sponsored

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wheel locks might slow them down but will not stop it.
Hell I was at harbour freight the other day and you can buy a master set of key locks for locking lug nuts

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
I ordered 8x Gorilla X2 Spinning wheel locks. 2x for each wheel. I also got a set of Gorilla Tuner wheel locks. 20x wheel locks total. I also added a Compustar alarm system with Shock and Tilt Sensors. If they lift the car or bang on the wheels, I am going to receive an alert on my phone and the siren is pretty loud. Hopefully they think twice or at least slow them down.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Do people say if a security camera somewhere helps?
Or would that get stolen also.
Is thief insurance available or are the premiums costly.
I’d be worried also.
A home security camera would get recorded to your computer, if you choose the right camera/software. The thief would need to break into your house to steal the computer. Trouble is it may not get a good image of their face or car they drive.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
May I know why that is? Is it because the larger wheels are just more appealing? I'm still paranoid about it so I'm going to invest on securing them. Also, I do plan to get an Accord Hybrid Touring soon although it only has a 17" wheels compared to it's 2.0T variant with the 19".
The 18" and 19" wheels are what they want. In general 17" inch wheels aren't used on performance cars, which the thieves are probably catering to.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Not much you can really do. You can place glue some dye packs to the wheels (though it'll make them harder to balance) with the radio controller in the car but hardwired to the battery. If a thief goes too far with the wheel and communication with the radio stops, die pack explodes. Though now you have some wheels that need refinishing :p

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does gorilla make the x2 locks for our wheels now? I could be wrong, but when I was looking at them, seems my wheels needed a ball seat and gorilla only had one of their models available with that at the time.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag

Apparently, thieves can steal your rims even with Honda's wheel lock which people say is crap. What other ways can I do to prevent my precious wheels from being stolen? I don't have a garage so my car is always parked either in the driveway or side street.
Just move to another country. I'm certainly not worried about my wheels getting stolen haha.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Just move to another country. I'm certainly not worried about my wheels getting stolen haha.
Which country?

Are you saying they don't steal wheels where you live? :hmm: Maybe they don't know how or just prefer to steal whole cars.

Any statistics on car theft in the world show similar numbers per capita for US and Australia, with Australia usually ahead (more theft) :thumbsup:.

Interestingly, New Zealand seems to be over many years one of the very top leading countries in the world in car theft per capita. I wonder what is the reason. :dunno:

(Wikipedia)
Honda Civic 10th gen I'm worried about my rims getting stolen 7Y937kiazpBJCrNGkO0iVhkE2FXvlc90iBjz71cTVj-vIq3ytQrRJ6QwjM6LQ?width=939&height=635&cropmode=none

Last edited:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Not sure what you can to protect your wheels. The wheel lock is just a deterrence. I once saw a YouTube video that the thief used a smaller size socket and hummered it into the existing wheel lock. The wheel lock could then be removed.

In my opinion, there is a market for OE wheels. I hit the curb one time and was looking around for one OE wheel but with no success.

OP
OP

WCELingad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Crystal Black Pearl
Country flag
Between the rotation of the hub/wheel and the heat during braking, this would be very difficult if not impossible to implement.
As mentioned by midnightcivic, the alarm tilt sensor with pager is exactly what I'm trying to describe and it does exist but not factory stock by Honda.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which country?

Are you saying they don't steal wheels where you live? :hmm: Maybe they don't know how or just prefer to steal whole cars.

Any statistics on car theft in the world show similar numbers per capita for US and Australia, with Australia usually ahead (more theft) :thumbsup:.

Interestingly, New Zealand seems to be over many years one of the very top leading countries in the world in car theft per capita. I wonder what is the reason. :dunno:

(Wikipedia)
7Y937kiazpBJCrNGkO0iVhkE2FXvlc90iBjz71cTVj-vIq3ytQrRJ6QwjM6LQ?width=939&height=635&cropmode=none.jpg
Yeah but just the wheels alone... I'm not worried about that. Besides insurance would cover the wheels anyway.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the '16 Touring 17 inch wheels that comes with factory wheel locks. The thing is thieves are able to steal your wheels regardless it seems and it worries me a lot now.
This seems like the case of the lady who had OCD, and couldn't leave the house because she kept worrying that her iron was left on every time she left the house. Until one day someone suggested she just take the iron with her to work... Problem solved.

If your this worried, just remove the wheels your self every time you park it. :rofl:

Problem solved.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
How about 4 of these?
https://universalboot.com/product/ultimate-parking-enforcement-wheel-boot/

lolz. sorry you are worried about your wheels getting stolen. Guess that's the price you pay when you want nice things.. that someone else will come along and take them.

My dad learned long ago, parking at Newark Airport, that if a thief wants something, they will get it. He had several stereos stolen over the years. It got so bad, he stopped locking his car, just to avoid coming back to broken windows or broken door locks. That said, it was also a company car, so he didn't have out of pocket expense to repair/replace.

Torino_85

Hector & Christine
First Name
Christine&Hec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not all too relevant to the subject, just wanted some opinions on wheels I’m close to getting.
They are the avid1 av32 style black.
I’m set on those for my LX.
I want to know if the flat black is the best color in your opinion.
Let me know what color you think is better.
Car color is MSM (Modern steel metallic)

Honda Civic 10th gen I'm worried about my rims getting stolen 77EED1D6-71D8-45DE-BBE4-62F2E12C608F
Sponsored