I'm in the market...Civic Si Oil dilution affected?

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm finally in the market to buy a new car. After driving my 2012 Civic Coupe Ex-L for 7 years, I had enough. the slow 1.8L engine and automatic transmission is boring as hell.

Right now I've set my eyes on Civic Coupe and I'm deciding whether to get the Si or the Sport.

Is the Civic Si affected by the oil dilution the 1.5L turbo's is having? All the complaints I've read so far are coming from the CR-Vs and Civics which are a bunch of EX/EX-T/Touring. I've not yet read any complaints on the Si about oil dilution.

The oil dilution issue is holding me back in getting the Si that's why the Sport is in my selection because it uses the good old port injection, NA, K20 series engine which doesn't suffer under oil dilution and its manual at least so I will have the freedom what RPM I'll use.

Oh, and is having the Si's LSD really makes a difference? I'm thinking about some occasional track for my new car (but I'm really not going to race, just to have a good space to drive fast and really rev the car).
Sponsored

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Just don't idle it to warm it up and make sure to drive it on longer drives occasionally and you'll be fine.

I only idle long enough for the revs to drop to 1200-1300 (30-45 seconds) and I make sure to go on longer drives every weekend. I check my oil every fuel up. I have a bit of fuel smell when I check my oil level (normal for DI) but no signs of real issue and my oil level has not gone up.

1500 miles so far.

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just don't idle it to warm it up and make sure to drive it on longer drives occasionally and you'll be fine.

I only idle long enough for the revs to drop to 1200-1300 (30-45 seconds) and I make sure to go on longer drives every weekend. I check my oil every fuel up. I have a bit of fuel smell when I check my oil level (normal for DI) but no signs of real issue and my oil level has not gone up.

1500 miles so far.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any feedback how good the LSD of the Si?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Even the Sis have the oil dilution problem. On the other hand, I've got a 26 mile commute to work each day. Mostly on an interstate. So I haven't had any type of problem. But if your trips are less than two miles, or sit in bumper to bumper traffic a lot, then Honda's direct injection is not for you.

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Even the Sis have the oil dilution problem. On the other hand, I've got a 26 mile commute to work each day. Mostly on an interstate. So I haven't had any type of problem. But if your trips are less than two miles, or sit in bumper to bumper traffic a lot, then Honda's direct injection is not for you.
Thanks for the reply. Even though my job right now involves heavy driving right now, it doesn't mean that this is going to be my job forever and my next job could be a sit in office type of job and I'm planning to keep the new car for a long time like more than 300K miles.

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any feedback how good the LSD of the Si?
It's my first car with an LSD, but I've driven a few with and without. I think it does a fine job, I've scooted around some corners locally with ease, and the telltale rapid tire chirp is an easy indicator of success.

I know there is a thread about a track day where it was indicated the LSD was "overwhelmed" on some corners, but keep in mind he was tracking with the terrible factory all season tires, as well, so the LSD would have to work extra hard to make up for it under track conditions. Better tires should result in better LSD action since it will have less work to do.

On normal roads, with as spirited as I care to get it's been working excellently, even with the bad tires.

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
As a follow up, the understeering configuration stock also puts work on the LSD. Upsizing the rear sway bar slightly as others have done with the Type R rear sway bar or the Progress 20.6mm would reduce understeer and help out a little, IMO.

I have not yet done this, so this is my personal speculation. The Progress 20.6mm is on my wishlist, though.

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
As a follow up, the understeering configuration stock also puts work on the LSD. Upsizing the rear sway bar slightly as others have done with the Type R rear sway bar or the Progress 20.6mm would reduce understeer and help out a little, IMO.

I have not yet done this, so this is my personal speculation. The Progress 20.6mm is on my wishlist, though.
If I get the Sport, obviously its got the 2.0 and it looks like there are so limited power upgrade available for that engine. If I do some track on the 2.0 engine and if I also stick in some Pilot Sport 4s, you think an LSD is really going to matter?

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
If I get the Sport, obviously its got the 2.0 and it looks like there are so limited power upgrade available for that engine. If I do some track on the 2.0 engine and if I also stick in some Pilot Sport 4s, you think an LSD is really going to matter?
LSD is essential for cornering under power, period.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
every time i change the oil in this car it reeks like gas more than any car ive owned over 20 years of driving different vehicles.

so i change the oil every 3000 - 3500 miles to be safe.

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
every time i change the oil in this car it reeks like gas more than any car ive owned over 20 years of driving different vehicles.

so i change the oil every 3000 - 3500 miles to be safe.
It's expected for DI engines - have you owned a DI car before?

Deleted member

If your goal is to have a car that is fun to drive getting a GenX Civic with the 2.0 naturally aspirated engine is a big mistake.

Don't let the term "sport" make you think the 2019 coupe or sedan sports are anything but slow as heck- it's the slowest version of the current Civic. There is absolutely nothing sporty about either of them. The 1.5T is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Si will give you more power obviously, and is much more tuneable no doubt about it. But as a person with a tuned 2.0 and who also owns and drives a 500+WHP car, I can say the 2.0 (especislly with the manual and a tune) is still an upgrade over your 1.8L civic anyday and is still fun to drive. It just depends on what your goal is for the car, if you plan on modding it for power than do not get the 2.0, but if you just want a car thats decent to drive and dont really care too much about a lot of power then you wont be disappointed with the 2.0. It has more than enough power for daily driving and with the tune it manages to put a smile on my face when I ride it out to VTEC.

Its just that the Si has an LSD and different handling characteristics that obviously make it a better car for tracking and stuff and is overall a better performance car plain and simple (thats why its the Si). But if you're looking to keep a car for 300K miles, the 2.0L motor is defenitely the better bet from a longeivity perspective because its a tried and tested engine thats simpler with good old port injection.

OP
OP

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Si will give you more power obviously, and is much more tuneable no doubt about it. But as a person with a tuned 2.0 and who also owns and drives a 500+WHP car, I can say the 2.0 (especislly with the manual and a tune) is still an upgrade over your 1.8L civic anyday and is still fun to drive. It just depends on what your goal is for the car, if you plan on modding it for power than do not get the 2.0, but if you just want a car thats decent to drive and dont really care too much about a lot of power then you wont be disappointed with the 2.0. It has more than enough power for daily driving and with the tune it manages to put a smile on my face when I ride it out to VTEC.

Its just that the Si has an LSD and different handling characteristics that obviously make it a better car for tracking and stuff and is overall a better performance car plain and simple (thats why its the Si). But if you're looking to keep a car for 300K miles, the 2.0L motor is defenitely the better bet from a longeivity perspective because its a tried and tested engine thats simpler with good old port injection.
Thank you for the reply. That's my point, a car that's fun to drive and not really all about power and has the 300k reliability which is the Sport. BUT, having the Si looks like will really give me WAY MORE fun especially if I put in on the track because also of its LSD. Unforetunately between the two, I pick the Sport, I get fun + reliability...but if I pick the Si, I'll get WAY MORE fun at the track but I won't have the 300k reliability.

And yes at least I'll be able to get the manual on the Sport so at least I'll get the fun on controlling which RPM I'll be using compared to the 1.8L + Auto that I have.

How much power does your tuned 2.0L has if I may ask?
Sponsored

Last edited: