I'm 46 Years Old and Cheap: Konig Oversteers?

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I need some sage advice on wheels for my 2018 MSM Civic Si Sedan. I've gone back and forth over this for over a year. I've never purchased aftermarket wheels. A few things to consider:
  • I know they're outdated for the younger crowd, but I love the look of black wheels. I'll leave the bronze, white, and red wheels for you whippersnappers.
  • I like the design of the OEM wheels, but the cheapest quote I've received for powder coating with tire removal and rebalancing is $600+tax. :confused1:
  • While cheaper, I'm not convinced painting or vinyl wrap will hold up for the long term.
  • At that price point, I may be better off purchasing new wheels. Yes, I've read the threads about cheap wheels, spending no less than $1000 for a decent set, yada, yada, yada. However, I personally cannot see spending over $800.
  • From my research, Konig seems to offer the best balance between quality and affordability.
  • I like the conservative styling of the Konig Oversteer. A set at Discount Tire will cost $754 + tax.
  • If you were in my shoes, would you powder coat the OEM wheels for $600+tax or purchase the Oversteers for $754+tax? Powder coating will also entail being without my car for 4 days, so I'll have to figure out alternate means of transportation.
@gtman Here's looking at you, oh Wise One.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I need some sage advice on wheels for my 2018 MSM Civic Si Sedan. I've gone back and forth over this for over a year. I've never purchased aftermarket wheels. A few things to consider:
  • I know they're outdated for the younger crowd, but I love the look of black wheels. I'll leave the bronze, white, and red wheels for you whippersnappers.
  • I like the design of the OEM wheels, but the cheapest quote I've received for powder coating with tire removal and rebalancing is $600+tax. :confused1:
  • While cheaper, I'm not convinced painting or vinyl wrap will hold up for the long term.
  • At that price point, I may be better off purchasing new wheels. Yes, I've read the threads about cheap wheels, spending no less than $1000 for a decent set, yada, yada, yada. However, I personally cannot see spending over $800.
  • From my research, Konig seems to offer the best balance between quality and affordability.
  • I like the conservative styling of the Konig Oversteer. A set at Discount Tire will cost $754 + tax.
  • If you were in my shoes, would you powder coat the OEM wheels for $600+tax or purchase the Oversteers for $754+tax? Powder coating will also entail being without my car for 4 days, so I'll have to figure out alternate means of transportation.
Buy the wheels, sell your oem wheels to offset some of the cost. Be happy, no down time.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those wheels look dope. No shame wearing them on the Si. Save some unsprung weight too.

Si2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I was in the same predicament. But I liked the look of my 2020 Si wheels. I wanted better tires. I ended up getting the Presidents’ Day deal for wheel tire combo with the Konig Dekagrams and Michelin ps4s. I saved 8 lbs a corner. Have room for a big brake kit and moved up to an 8.5 inch wheel with 245/40/18. Huge upgrade and think I have sold my old tires and wheels. Just hit 40 last year. Wheels look great.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're not "cheap" for exploring your options.
What you like, is what you like ... get the wheels for YOU ... not what others think is cool.
(that said, I have asked the forum for wheel color opinions on my MSM Si Coupe o_O)

So, since your are soliciting opinions ... I'd go with the Konig Oversteer wheels ... the price difference is negligible (about 20%) and you don't have to arrange for alternate transportation for 4 (or so) days.

OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You're not "cheap" for exploring your options.
What you like, is what you like ... get the wheels for YOU ... not what others think is cool.
(that said, I have asked the forum for wheel color opinions on my MSM Si Coupe o_O)

So, since your are soliciting opinions ... I'd go with the Konig Oversteer wheels ... the price difference is negligible (about 20%) and you don't have to arrange for alternate transportation for 4 (or so) days.
Thanks for the feedback. Since starting this thread, the Konig Myth has also caught my eye. https://konigwheels.com/wheels/main-line-wheels/myth/

OP
OP
Vegas Viking

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was in the same predicament. But I liked the look of my 2020 Si wheels. I wanted better tires. I ended up getting the Presidents’ Day deal for wheel tire combo with the Konig Dekagrams and Michelin ps4s. I saved 8 lbs a corner. Have room for a big brake kit and moved up to an 8.5 inch wheel with 245/40/18. Huge upgrade and think I have sold my old tires and wheels. Just hit 40 last year. Wheels look great.
I would actually be content with the 2020's wheels. They're nice.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the factory wheels as well (both on my '19, and the new '20's) ...
But, by going after market, you can drop between 8 & 10 pounds per wheel.

Miro

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si, 2016 Pilot (wife's)
Country flag
I'm in the same boat, man. I want to shed some of that weight from the factory wheels and wrap them with some decent tires without killing my wallet. I appreciate you bringing the topic up.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would get konig dekagram or rennform, or motegi traklite and save weight

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would get konig dekagram or rennform, or motegi traklite and save weight
I love the Dekagrams ... but they're not available in silver ... which is the color I want.
(but they ARE available in bronze ... which is my second color choice)

Shonuff

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan/2019 CR-V/2012 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag

I too am in that 40 plus (barely) category and don't want to break the bank for something nice. I wasn't considering Konig but now after taking a look at their options I have reconsidered. I'm also browsing the local used wheels section for something different, that might be an option as well.
Sponsored