If your trunk is misaligned, they may take apart the whole rear

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I brought my 2016 in 3 weeks ago for a variety of problems, one of which was that the trunk was misaligned (I could stick my fingers through the gap on the drivers side.)

The dealer fixed it. But then the trunk made a loud clicking sound every time it opened.

So I brought it back on Thursday, for a variety of problems. It's now Wednesday. It looks like I will finally get my car back tomorrow.

They won't explain what happened, but they had to replace the hinge. Of course, the hinge came unpainted. So they had to paint it. Which required taking my car to a body shop? And now they've needed two days to put everything (like the rear seat) back together? What the heck?

(Even worse, every day I need to spend about 10-30 minutes, waiting on hold, calling multiple times, to find out if I will get my car back. Absolutely terrible.)
Sponsored

David

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring (Lunar Silver)
I've got a more minor trunk alignment issue that seems somewhat common. Essentially the trunk lid seems a bit too low, moreso on the left side than the right for me. Picture doesn't show the extent well, but this at least illustrates the idea:
Honda Civic 10th gen If your trunk is misaligned, they may take apart the whole rear trunk2

When I looked around the dealership lot, I saw that most had a version of this, although some were perfect (and coupes seemed better than sedans in general). I don't think I found any that were quite as bad as what I have on my left side, though.

I'm debating how strongly to push on the dealer, especially given your story. Looking at the hinge, it seems it was attached to the trunk lid before they where painted. So shimming it up would involve breaking the paint where they meet. I suspect that's part of what happened in your case, and makes me nervous about what could go wrong there in my case too.

OP
OP

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Guess what! Today I found out they somehow broke THE OTHER HINGE too! And so now they need to order a new one, install it, disassemble my car to paint it again, reassemble it.

So glad I bought an extended warranty. :(

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I've got a more minor trunk alignment issue that seems somewhat common. Essentially the trunk lid seems a bit too low, moreso on the left side than the right for me. Picture doesn't show the extent well, but this at least illustrates the idea:
trunk2.jpg

When I looked around the dealership lot, I saw that most had a version of this, although some were perfect (and coupes seemed better than sedans in general). I don't think I found any that were quite as bad as what I have on my left side, though.

I'm debating how strongly to push on the dealer, especially given your story. Looking at the hinge, it seems it was attached to the trunk lid before they where painted. So shimming it up would involve breaking the paint where they meet. I suspect that's part of what happened in your case, and makes me nervous about what could go wrong there in my case too.
My trunk is aligned like this as well. It's about the same on both sides (a smidge too low). I think I'm just going to roll with it. It doesn't bother me much although it would be nice if it were perfect. Lots of small issues like this on this vehicle which I imagine will be ironed out for the 2017's.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
Guess what! Today I found out they somehow broke THE OTHER HINGE too! And so now they need to order a new one, install it, disassemble my car to paint it again, reassemble it.

So glad I bought an extended warranty. :(
Why? an extended warranty does not kick in until the basic warranty is over so I don't see how your purchasing an extended warranty makes a difference, further it is doubtful that an extended warranty would even cover a panel gap issue.

OP
OP

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Based on how much uninstall/reinstall they did to my car, I'm sure more problems are going to crop up in the future.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
It seems from reports that the cars with gaps are always made in Indiana, whereas the ones made in Canada lack gaps. And the coupes are only made in Canada.
Sponsored