If your Civic SI is a lease and want good sound w/o upgrading sound system

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 535xi, 2018 Honda Civic Touring, 2019 Civic SI
Country flag
*long first post*

I want to start off by saying I absolutely love my 2019 civic si I leased back in May, it's my first manual car and I've been driving for 15 years (I learned manual 8 months ago on my friend's bmw) and its the best purchase I've ever made.

However, the one thing that had disappointed me was the sound quality I kept thinking why is it so flat in the SI? then I realized it wasn't the car, I'm just a dumbass thinking Spotify had a good EQ.

So I fixed the issue! But not by upgrading the speakers or the sub or the amp, nope, all I did was install a global EQ on my Android. One that worked with the major apps (YouTube, Spotify, Google Music) AND with Android Auto (not every global EQ app does this!) I customized the EQ and left the car's eq mostly default probably minor adjustments on the sub, and it sounds freaking amazing.

So I thought maybe other's don't know about this and are about to spend money to upgrade sound when they might not need to and can put that money towards other parts....and so I signed up to this form to share my discovery. Everyone who sits in my car is surprised and asks if I installed a custom system and I tell them no everything is stock. Keep in mind that an upgraded sound system will still be better especially with deep clean bass, but this imho does a really really great job on the stock setup and is handy for people like me who are on a lease and can't make any modifications to the car until purchased.

I'm not sure about Apple users but I imagine there's an app for you too...on Android go to the Play Store and purchase the application Eqfy it's like 2-3 bucks (I bought it using Google Survey where I make like .10 cents to .50+ cents per survey, so it was basically free for me). This will work on Bluetooth, Aux (so headphones as well), USB, and Android Auto via USB, I use a Pixel XL gen1 on Android 9. And no you do not need to ROOT your phone or your headunit!

1. Open Spotify and start playing some music (keep your volume medium-low to prevent hurting your ears from any possible clipping while testing this out)
2. Open Eqfy and it'll prompt a message "Connect to recent app: Spotify" tap connect.
3. You can try presets but I wouldn't bother, you get 6 custom profiles, so start with custom 1 and use that for spotify, custom 2 for youtube etc. Here are my settings based on my preference: (adjust as needed)

Honda Civic 10th gen If your Civic SI is a lease and want good sound w/o upgrading sound system D-1SnUIXsAA2kYg?format=jpg&name=large

4. in the above picture you'll see a blue check mark in the bottom left for Surround. Make sure that is ENABLED this is the kicker to getting great sound from Spotify (in high stream quality mode). The stock sound system can't handle Deep Bass enhancement so I don't recommend it lol

5. AND THATS IT! I absolutely freaking love driving my car. My 2018 civic was supposed to be my daily and my bmw 535 as my show up to parties car but my SI is now my daily and show up to parties car lol I don't drive my 535 much now.​

oh and to turn off global EQ because there's a good chance you won't always want/need it, simply swipe down your notification bar and expand the Eqfy message and tap "Bypass" to turn off do the same to turn back on, or "Close" to end the app. If you close the app you'll just have to open it back up after starting music again to engage your custom settings.

hope this helps! I always was using PowerAmp before making the switch to Spotify, unfortunately PowerAmp's EQ doesn't do global settings, it really is the best app if you save music locally to your phone. But Spotify just made it more convenient to find new and old music so I made the painful switch. But thanks to this, all is well.

Two songs to listen to showcase how great the sound is to my friends is "Colors of the Rainbow by Sevenn ft Kathy" (edm) and Afro Trap part 7 (La Puissance) by MHD (hip hop).
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Rooted headunit, viper4android is free.
that's definitely one way to go, but for people like me who don't want to have to root their phones (especially the headunit on a lease), or those who don't know how and its confusing for them this is a nice alternative that requires no rooting.

WhiteSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Another vote for Viper4Android. I like to play music on USB drives, which needs this option to work.
When I got the car, a crap sounding stereo was a major con, and I priced out all new speakers, sub and amp. So glad I tried V4A first! Saved over $1000! No real need to upgrade anything else.
(I do miss being able to put in a Bass knob though!)

geoldr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Golf R, 2018 Si Sedan, 91 Miata
Country flag
Another vote for Viper4Android. I like to play music on USB drives, which needs this option to work.
When I got the car, a crap sounding stereo was a major con, and I priced out all new speakers, sub and amp. So glad I tried V4A first! Saved over $1000! No real need to upgrade anything else.
(I do miss being able to put in a Bass knob though!)
Do you mind sharing which APK you used for Viper4Android and if you needed to do anything else? IE, install BusyBox, etc. Thank you!

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you mind sharing which APK you used for Viper4Android and if you needed to do anything else? IE, install BusyBox, etc. Thank you!

I second this. Also, I assume DTS is disabled when you have V4A as the default audio?

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
what does viper4android do and what settings do you do for the radio to get great results?

WhiteSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes, Google is how i found it. Autohack.org to get HondaHack. I bought the pro version. Best $25 you will ever spend!

Install in the order they recommend: SU, Busybox, Hondahack. Use your home WiFi, not your phone.
Phone will take longer than 20 minutes to download.

V4A seems to automatically defeat the lame factory DSP.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I got it installed by first installing BusyBox, and then the latest version of V4a from their official website. http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=48

Honda runs Android 4.2.2 so the latest version does work.

Now to play around with the million settings and get a good tune...
So which version of viper do you install?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, Google is how i found it. Autohack.org to get HondaHack. I bought the pro version. Best $25 you will ever spend!

Install in the order they recommend: SU, Busybox, Hondahack. Use your home WiFi, not your phone.
Phone will take longer than 20 minutes to download.

V4A seems to automatically defeat the lame factory DSP.
Viper4android is phenomenal and I loved it back when I had it on old s5, but doesn't rooting your Honda head unit affect your warranty? Or will the dealers not notice when running system checks?

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
viper does really wonders on hondas crap headunit.
such a huge difference, better bass and better clarity/treble.

geoldr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Golf R, 2018 Si Sedan, 91 Miata
Country flag
So which version of viper do you install?
If you head to the link I posted earlier, scroll down to Viper4AndroidFX and download the "Latest" version. 2.5.0.5 (Android 4.0-7.0). Since our Honda headunit runs 4.2.2, this version will work fine.

I haven't had time to play around with it yet, but there are a lot of settings.
Sponsored