If you had 60k to spend on a different car..

midlifejohnny

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caddillac Escalade, Volks GTI
Country flag
I'm considering the Type R. I have had many sports cars of the years. Several Corvettes, Porsches AMG Mercedes. Sold my 2014 C4S in 2016 and for some reason this little Hot hatch has my attention big time. My question to all of you, and I understand Im on a Honda forum, is if you were currently back in the market for a car and had a budget of 60k what would you be considering? Im sure many of you are like me and after 6 months of ownership you have "other car envy'.. Is it crazy to think that some of you love this car so much that you would, if given the option, choose the TypeR over an Audi RS3, slightly used Camaro ZL1 or Corvette Grandsport, Mustang GT PP2. Before responding, there are lots of things to consider. I may occasionally track this car. I have three teenage kids and do I really want them asking for the keys to 650Hp? Will they be embarrassed that dad is driving a car with a wing. lol
I still own a 2010 GTI that my 17 year old drives. Miss the zippin around town feel of a hot hatch. I like the idea of 22+ miles per gallon. Escalade bothers me at 14mpg so I think the cars I listed above will just add to that. Anyway, sorry for the long winded "first post" on the forum but I'm seriously considering this car. Want to have something again in the garage that makes me just want to go for a Sunday drive and at 3117 lbs and 306bhp seems plenty for street legal driving. Lastly, three teenagers translates to 3 kids in college very soon so spending 35k vs 60k would be a good thing Thanks in advance
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I love many of the cars you mention, but at some level, the performance of those cars is "video game" ish.. just spectacular and give the modern driver aids, entirely accessible. But I am old and grumpy.. I prefer cars with noise and that require skill. The newest I'd go is 996GT3 or C6 Z06/Grand Sport.

I've never had powerful street cars, but as you mention about the GTI, something about my "merely" Si is that it is youthful, fun, zippy and its performance is entirely accessible without fear of actually doing something stupid.

My kids want either a Tesla or Truck, so I know my sportscar fetish is safe from them wanting to explore ;)

BIGBLUESI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Corvette Grandsport :thumbsup:

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
You will love the Type R _ try to test drive one. It is visceral as much as any other sport car & confortable for daily as no one can imagine.
Versus a more expensive car, for example the M2 ( decent option too), The CTR Still it's a car you don't have to invest that much to have fun on the track. It's manual, yes, you might have to live with the wing, but after you feel it on the highway how planted it is, the wing won't bother you at all.

Things to keep in mind:
-It's light and you can make it lighter.
-Aftermarket for this car is very good and growing.
-Cult car, future classic. Unicorn status.
-You need to upgrade cooling, if you'll track the car.
-Good resale value, in case you want to trade it later.

With 60K, you buy one used, make it sleeper & it will be money left for your kids tuition.

P.S: I like the RS3, but annoys me the price vs. a cheaper golf R Mk7 with an upgraded turbo, it can be as fast as the more expensive Audi sibling.

pikwit

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport 2001 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think I'd get a brand new BMW M2 in Long Beach Blue. That would look nice next to my LSB E46 M3 in the garage.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Corvette Grand Sport
718 Cayman
RS3
CTS V-sport
M2
Camaro ZL1

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just sold my Porsche too, picked up an e46 M3 and am in the process of turning that into a full out track car. The Type R is my commuter and it is also a good occasional track day car. But if you're somewhat fast, the car might heat soak in the summer time. Otherwise the car is fun to drive and a group of my friends rented the autocross/skid pad at lime rock a few weeks ago. Everyone came away surprised at how well the CTR handled. This is from M3, s2k and Porsche drivers.

My kids are younger than yours, I looked at an M2 CS because it looks awesome and its a good alternative, but i need the 4 doors and i found the M2 a bit too small for me.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Audi RS5 and do APR stage 2. I have Audi S3 also and is on APR stage 2. Rock solid fun.

ep3_lol

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Lincoln Navigator L, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
A GT350 or an Elise/Exige. I was actually looking for Elises as well as Type Rs and decided a month ago to either buy an Elise I felt comfortable with or an Aegean Blue CTR that a dealer would let go of at a reasonable price, whichever came first. But with a $60k budget, I'd probably just pick up a GT350

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@ctrmofo when is the new Lambo coming?
sometime in spring 2019. i'm also considering adding the new thermal orange pearl nsx which is absolutely gorgeous in person. honda corporate brought one last weekend at the columbus cars & coffee that graham rahal and i hosted for ctr owners.

Honda Civic 10th gen If you had 60k to spend on a different car.. IMG_4462.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen If you had 60k to spend on a different car.. IMG_4463.JPG

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is a great color for the NSX. Very unique.
yes, i normally reserve orange for mclaren or lambo both know how to do orange right. however, honda did an excellent job on this one for sure and omg!
Sponsored