1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

If you had 60k to spend on a different car..

Discussion in 'Civic Type R Forum (FK8 - 10th Gen)' started by midlifejohnny, Nov 6, 2018.

1. midlifejohnny New Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    Caddillac Escalade, Volks GTI
    I'm considering the Type R. I have had many sports cars of the years. Several Corvettes, Porsches AMG Mercedes. Sold my 2014 C4S in 2016 and for some reason this little Hot hatch has my attention big time. My question to all of you, and I understand Im on a Honda forum, is if you were currently back in the market for a car and had a budget of 60k what would you be considering? Im sure many of you are like me and after 6 months of ownership you have "other car envy'.. Is it crazy to think that some of you love this car so much that you would, if given the option, choose the TypeR over an Audi RS3, slightly used Camaro ZL1 or Corvette Grandsport, Mustang GT PP2. Before responding, there are lots of things to consider. I may occasionally track this car. I have three teenage kids and do I really want them asking for the keys to 650Hp? Will they be embarrassed that dad is driving a car with a wing. lol
    I still own a 2010 GTI that my 17 year old drives. Miss the zippin around town feel of a hot hatch. I like the idea of 22+ miles per gallon. Escalade bothers me at 14mpg so I think the cars I listed above will just add to that. Anyway, sorry for the long winded "first post" on the forum but I'm seriously considering this car. Want to have something again in the garage that makes me just want to go for a Sunday drive and at 3117 lbs and 306bhp seems plenty for street legal driving. Lastly, three teenagers translates to 3 kids in college very soon so spending 35k vs 60k would be a good thing Thanks in advance

UFO CTR thanked this.
  2. Zooropa82

Zooropa82 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    2016 Civic EX-T(Sold) 2017 CRV EX - 2018 Impreza Sport w/Eyesight
    S5 Sportback

d1zguy thanked this.
  3. racer

racer Senior Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si sedan
    I love many of the cars you mention, but at some level, the performance of those cars is "video game" ish.. just spectacular and give the modern driver aids, entirely accessible. But I am old and grumpy.. I prefer cars with noise and that require skill. The newest I'd go is 996GT3 or C6 Z06/Grand Sport.

I've never had powerful street cars, but as you mention about the GTI, something about my "merely" Si is that it is youthful, fun, zippy and its performance is entirely accessible without fear of actually doing something stupid.

My kids want either a Tesla or Truck, so I know my sportscar fetish is safe from them wanting to explore ;)

4. boosted180sx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2019 370Z Nismo, '16 ILX
    if i had a 60k budget to spend on a new car, I'd buy a M2.

5. BIGBLUESI

BIGBLUESI Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic SI Coupe
    Corvette Grandsport :thumbsup:

6. Night Fury

Night Fury Senior Member

Car(s):
    Black Type R
    You will love the Type R _ try to test drive one. It is visceral as much as any other sport car & confortable for daily as no one can imagine.
    Versus a more expensive car, for example the M2 ( decent option too), The CTR Still it's a car you don't have to invest that much to have fun on the track. It's manual, yes, you might have to live with the wing, but after you feel it on the highway how planted it is, the wing won't bother you at all.

Things to keep in mind:
    -It's light and you can make it lighter.
    -Aftermarket for this car is very good and growing.
    -Cult car, future classic. Unicorn status.
    -You need to upgrade cooling, if you'll track the car.
    -Good resale value, in case you want to trade it later.

With 60K, you buy one used, make it sleeper & it will be money left for your kids tuition.

P.S: I like the RS3, but annoys me the price vs. a cheaper golf R Mk7 with an upgraded turbo, it can be as fast as the more expensive Audi sibling.

WhatThePuck and midlifejohnny thanked this.
  7. pikwit Member

First Name:
    Cal
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Hatch Sport 2001 BMW M3
    Garage Profiles:
    I think I'd get a brand new BMW M2 in Long Beach Blue. That would look nice next to my LSB E46 M3 in the garage.

FK8 4 Di and boosted180sx thanked this.
  8. Lukifer

Lukifer Member

First Name:
    Luke
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Si
    Corvette Grand Sport
    718 Cayman
    RS3
    CTS V-sport
    M2
    Camaro ZL1

9. VinRRR Member

First Name:
    Vincent
    Car(s):
    BMW X3, Type R
    M2 for me too!

10. Zooropa82

Zooropa82 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    2016 Civic EX-T(Sold) 2017 CRV EX - 2018 Impreza Sport w/Eyesight
    RS3 mops M2

11. rnh204

rnh204 Senior Member

First Name:
    Roger
    Car(s):
    2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
    Garage Profiles:
    I just sold my Porsche too, picked up an e46 M3 and am in the process of turning that into a full out track car. The Type R is my commuter and it is also a good occasional track day car. But if you're somewhat fast, the car might heat soak in the summer time. Otherwise the car is fun to drive and a group of my friends rented the autocross/skid pad at lime rock a few weeks ago. Everyone came away surprised at how well the CTR handled. This is from M3, s2k and Porsche drivers.

My kids are younger than yours, I looked at an M2 CS because it looks awesome and its a good alternative, but i need the 4 doors and i found the M2 a bit too small for me.

midlifejohnny thanked this.
  12. ctrmofo

ctrmofo Senior Member

private equity
    Car(s):
    '13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
    Garage Profiles:
    Audi RS5 and do APR stage 2. I have Audi S3 also and is on APR stage 2. Rock solid fun.

13. ep3_lol

ep3_lol Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Car(s):
    2008 Lincoln Navigator L, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
    A GT350 or an Elise/Exige. I was actually looking for Elises as well as Type Rs and decided a month ago to either buy an Elise I felt comfortable with or an Aegean Blue CTR that a dealer would let go of at a reasonable price, whichever came first. But with a $60k budget, I'd probably just pick up a GT350

14. Pielo7

Pielo7 Senior Member

11B
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Car(s):
    Civic Si
    Lexus rc F hands down

15. Zooropa82

Zooropa82 Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):