If the Si had 230 HP, would you still have bought the R?

Si 230 HP at $25K, or still type R?

• Yes, still want the Type R. A type R is a Type R.

Votes: 210 82.7%
  • No, this Si is the exact car I have been looking for. Thanks Honda for saving me money.

Votes: 44 17.3%

• Total voters

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Thinking back at the time you bought your type R. Assuming the price of Si is the same then, i.e. around 25K, and may be 210~ish torque.
Sponsored

Architect IV

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I went from a 2017 Si with ktuner, which would have more than 230hp, to a type R. There just isn’t a comparison between the two cars. The Si was great, amazing car for value. But so is the Type R, I don’t think I’ve thought about the Si once since making the change

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Yeah, I spent my youth idolizing the Type R so unless the R got insanely expensive and the Si got a ton better there's no way I'd go for the Si over the R in my current situation.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Lol so, 25 hp is the only difference between a Type R and an Si?

“Gosh I wish this Si had 20 more hp. Because it doesn’t, I better go and spend $12,000 more on a Type R”

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I was so disappointed when I learned the new Si wouldn't have the rumored 230 hp. I had a 9th Gen Si at the time, so 230hp would have been a significant upgrade, and I probably would have gotten it.

But then CTR was announced, and haven't thought about an Si since. $10K (or more) differential is a lot of money for a car in this price range, but interestingly, never once have I had a buyer's remorse. Isn't average price of a new car in the US like $32K now?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was so disappointed when I learned the new Si wouldn't have the rumored 230 hp. I had a 9th Gen Si at the time, so 230hp would have been a significant upgrade, and I probably would have gotten it.

But then CTR was announced, and haven't thought about an Si since. $10K (or more) differential is a lot of money for a car in this price range, but interestingly, never once have I had a buyer's remorse. Isn't average price of a new car in the US like $32K now?
Pretty sure it’s closer to like $36K, with average loan terms creeping towards 84 months.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
If I was not able to afford the R and the Si was in my price range yes I would have gotten the Si. Buuuuuut that's not how the story turned out lol :D

OP
OP

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I hope Honda reads this poll and makes this next gen Si comes true, not to worry about stealing potential buyers from the Type R or incentive for Honda fans to upgrade from Si to Type R. I would make a blind guess here, for the 5 votes of "No", is the R the only car you own?

Sure the Type R is a better and unique car to most people. But I guess this dream Si is good enough for some in real. If someone gives me a Type R as a gift, I would rather ask for this Si, plus $11K cash to spend on something else.:spaz:Or just give me both cars!

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Honestly, the Type R isn't about the 306 hp, that's just a requirement for its performance envelope. The handling is the most noticeable aspect and the real reason to go with a type r.

VashR547

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
If it also came with a upgraded brakes and kept the same price (plus the 230 whp), I would have considered it a lot more.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
the diff between the si and r is more than the hp difference. it would cost you over twice as much just to add the basic pieces and it still wouldn't be close. the way I look at the difference is for the 11k in price diff the r is total bargain and the si maybe be less in cost but you are getting a better value for the dollar with the r.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you think the difference between an Si and a Type R is only horsepower, you're missing the point of the car, entirely.

I know many people don't see the value in stepping up to a CTR- but until you've driven one- and not just a quick 5 minute test drive- it opens your eyes to stuff that isn't easily compared like horsepower numbers. I don't even know how to explain it- but there's something magical when you're behind the wheel of the CTR, that the Si just can't touch.

And let's not forget about the massive brakes and revised suspension geometry that the Si can only dream of (among other things). Even going the aftermarket route, what it would take to get the Si to the point of a CTR isn't cheap. You might save a few grand, but at the end of the day, it's still an Si and won't hold it's value like its big brother will. That, and by the end of the day, the CTR still comes with a full factory warranty, that a modified Si will never have. You're not really getting very far ahead by modding an Si to CTR levels.

I agree, it's not a cheap step up. But if you can handle that price increase without breaking the bank, you likely will not regret it. And I should add- I'm not hating on the Si. I think it's a wonderful car through and through. All I'm saying is the paper stats don't say it all. And why are we comparing a modded Si to a stock CTR? A modded CTR easily brings the power levels to 375whp, or about 400hp at the crank. And those power levels are a simple $1000 tune, away.
Sponsored