If only Honda CVT had a Launch Gear Like Toyota

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And get rid of the stupid fake gear shifting but I can live with that for now.

Perhaps we would upgrade to a stronger gear, like an upgraded clutch, for harder launches, since it wouldn't rely on the CVT belt. :beer::)

Sponsored

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CVT 2.0 essentially. It will be interesting to see if Honda will take note and engineer a “better” version in later generations of vehicles.

Klap1986

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I heard the newer honda's have them but i think it's just a rumor ,if it's not then what honda cvt have a launch gear?

Reactions: Myx

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd like TCU modes to have the CVT sit on the power curve either for max power or max efficiency. Or targeting torque beyond what S or L do for better acceleration from a stop in snow... For that snowfall or two in PA. Lol

I'm guessing a power bump in non-MT Civics down the line is more likely to be paired with a DCT than a beefier CVT.

I'd be great to have a hard gear for reverse and 1st... Making 3pt turns with the CVT is tedious. Not as dangerous as a stock 1.5L CVT leaping and lurching in traffic that keeps stopping or slowing abruptly. Well, the slow RND transitions can feel dangerous if you try and can't cut a u-turn from the turn lane at a big intersection.

I'd rather an LSD, or ability to get the AWD drivetrain of the CRV, before getting purer IVT or a launch gear.
I'd keep my cvt coupe much longer than I've planned if I had the handling that'd come with.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
I noticed LL-cvt has the lowest ratio at 2.645 compared to MT's 1st gear at 3.64. Even with a shorter final drive on cvt, difference in gearing is huge. Reverse drive ratio on cvt is also quite tall, so everything will feel slower and less responsive when you're parking or doing k turns. It's a civic; it's an economy car. It's what it is. I adjusted my driving style and timing in city traffic, and I really don't even get bothered by the cvt anymore. Lastly, I think lsd is overrated.

Reactions: Myx

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed LL-cvt has the lowest ratio at 2.645 compared to MT's 1st gear at 3.64. Even with a shorter final drive on cvt, difference in gearing is huge. Reverse drive ratio on cvt is also quite tall, so everything will feel slower and less responsive when you're parking or doing k turns. It's a civic; it's an economy car. It's what it is. I adjusted my driving style and timing in city traffic, and I really don't even get bothered by the cvt anymore. Lastly, I think lsd is overrated.
This is one of the reasons I made a thread on possibly changing the final drive gear ratio of the CVT.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm talking about the delay to engage when shifting from N to D.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
My biggest problem with CVT's is the belt feels like a wear item, but it's not necessarily a service item, so eventually it feels like you're driving a time bomb. This launch gear should hopefully increase the longevity of the belt.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
I know, the delay is to save the transmission, as people like to slap it into drive while still creeping reverse. I see my coworkers doing this all the time. Tall gearing just adds to to the delay. Short gearing is more responsive.
I'm talking about the delay to engage when shifting from N to D.
Sponsored