I will never buy a HONDA again!

VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I acutally liked the radar cruise but lane keep assist was weird. What were your shifting issues?
I had to fight to get into reverse. I tried the go into first then reverse thing. synchro's wouldn't let me into gears during upshift. Started shortly after I bought it. Went to the dealer a few times about it but of course it didn't want to act up while at the dealer.
Sponsored

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
4) There was a thread recently where someone had some weird steering issues where the behavior wasn't the same when going left vs. right. I can't find it at the moment though.

7) It seems most people were getting the maintenance minder for their first oil change at around 8k miles or so (unless you do a lot of short trips which you are not doing), mine was at 8.6k. Some people say to not do the first oil change early since there are additives added for break in.

11) Seems to be a common issue with car stereo's. I use a program called DriveSort to change the sort order: https://www.techmadeplain.com/2014/how-to-sort-music-flash-drive-car-stereo/
Some motor oils will have similar properties to the original oil used by Honda. That said, assuming its really special, it is designed to keep the rings, pistons, and cylinders cool during break-in, but everyone should know the cylinders are plateau-honed and will not create as much debris or heat as older vehicles. Still though, less debris should be in the filter and finer debris in the oil within 1000 miles. I changed out my first oil at 1500 and things have worked out fine for me. Oil is oil. It is not going to make a huge difference in my opinion. But I prefer clean oil to used, dirty oil.

Last edited:

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I owned this car for 1.5 months and I got 6650 miles. This has been the worst car I have owned from the owner satisfaction point. The car is CHEAP, feels less solid than my Lancer that everyone bashed but it is quieter. Writing is not my forte so I will do a bullet list of issues that I find atrocious!

1. I have issues with the shifter not going into gears. At times have to shift to other gears to get it in.
2. Right rear door makes the noise that some reported and I am certain is the weather stripping since the body gaps are not consistent and weather strip is too thin to seal
3. Around 4k my car just died, like power loss and the whole dash went haywire but came back as I continued driving. It happened while in ACC and going from 5th to 6th by pressing the clutch.
4. Steering input is not precises as in turning left is quicker then going right, also my center is off even after a good will alignment and specs seem ok! Might be an issue with the electric power steering
5. I feel the lane keep assist is never off since it feels like it tries to engage but realizes it should be off
6. Car feels like 1 year old and less solid after just 6650 miles
7. No one can't tell me the oil change interval and points me to the dash gauge ever after I told them I reset it to default after the car died. Even Honda NA HQ is just as idiotic.
8. Why the AC has to be on all the time even if not needed be? You have to turn it off! No wonder they fail so fast!
9. Hill assist and brake hold fight each other, Parking brake used to disengage automatically when going forward, now only from reversing!
10. MPG is good at 33-34 avg for me but the ECO is useless and the dash MPG is a joke!
11. sorting of mp3s based on time/date created on the usb? What?

I wanted to like this car but between the issue I have, arrogance and idiocy from dealer I am not going to dive again into Honda family. I usually pay no mind to the kinds of Consumer Reports or Scotty Kilmer but they seem to be right, Honda is going downhill, and is sad since my moto was just amazing!

I did own 33 cars before most new and never had this issues on a brand new car!

So can anyone have an idea on the the oil change interval is? or maintenance interval? Is this below something I should follow?

What is the Honda Civic Maintenance Schedule?
The Honda maintenance schedule for the Civic is only slightly different from, say, the Accord. This schedule starts at 7,500 miles all the way up to 120,000 miles. See the services performed as well as the in-between mile markers you’ll need to bring your Civic in for.

• 7,500 – 22,500 – 37,500 – 52,500 – 67,500 – 82,500 miles – During these mileage markers, you’ll need to bring your vehicle in for the following: Oil and filter change, brake inspection, lubricate throttle linkage, check and replace fluids, inspect tires and tire pressure, and rotate tires.
  • 15,000 – 45,000 – 75,000 – 105,000 miles – Here, your vehicle will need the above services as well as the following: lubrication of chassis and hinges, replace oil drain plug, rotate and balance wheels, inspect undercarriage, inspect shocks, check and adjust clutch pedal, inspect A/C and heater operation, service transmission, check park brake, inspect lights, steering systems, fuel systems, replace spark plugs, inspect differential oil, inspect steering gear box, steering wheel, inspect brake linings, replace windshield wipers, re-torque drive shaft bolt, lubricate all hinges, replace air conditioning filter.
  • 30,000 – 60,000 – 90,000 – 120,000 miles – As all of the services and checks above will be performed again, your Civic will also need: service PCV valve, service battery and clean cables, replace differential oil, inspect fuel tank cap gasket, inspect fuel lines and connections, inspect transfer case oil, inspect air elements, check all exterior and interior lamps, lubricate propeller shaft, lubricate wheel bearings, road test and quality control, propeller shaft flex coupling inspection, and inspect battery and clean terminals.
I think you should contact HONDA directly. My thought is you might have a lemon., which should be replaced. I think it's really unfair to you since they will just try and fix it. Good Luck!

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
i have had no real problems with my 2018 coupe other than crappy waterbased paint which is the EPAs fault as the government mandated water based paint during assembly.it does seem like some of the maintenance intervals are much shorter than needed especially brake fluid flushes.my camaro is supposed to have the brake fluid flushed every 5 years.maybe this is a way to build in profit for dealers? i do get my CVT seviced at honda every 30,000 miles,cheap insurance.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got rid of my 2020 si because of paint quality, over sensitive honda sense, shifting issues and other issues I'm not remembering. I only had 9k miles when I sold it.
What did you buy? My paint that was sprayed in England is good quality. The gears need more miles to break-in and a better gear oil helps too.

World Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-T
Country flag
I bought my 2016 Civic EX-T Coupe new. Before 2016, I had owned a 1997 CR-V (bought used in 2003) and had no issues with it. The majority of my car purchases have been Toyota with no issues, although I haven't had one since 2016. I did a lot of research about the Civic and it fit my criteria for my driving purposes. The car is garaged and not exposed to the weather. I loved this car for the first couple of years. The MPG was great, it handled well, had enough power when I needed it, and was a perfect size to get into the tiny parking spaces around the city. One day when I was washing and drying the car, I leaned on the middle of the hood and it buckled inward and popped back out. That gave me pause about my safety if I was in a front-end crash. Then I noticed unusual marks in the paint, like it didn't have enough coats of paint to withstand normal, minor road debris. Last year, a taillight bulb burned out...Kind of unusual for a "young" car, I thought. The black window frames are bleaching out like it has sun damage, even though the car has always been in a garage. The so-called "carpeted" floor mats are so flattened out, it just feels like a piece of cardboard under my feet.

There was an oil dilution class action settlement last year that affected my car, but so far, it's not been a problem. In 2019, there was a software update with A/C control unit replacement. Again, no problems so far. Also in 2019, there was the A/C condenser warranty extension. I find it interesting that Honda won't pay for anything until there's a failure. They aren't proactive in resolving the known problems, so they want me to sit on a ticking time bomb.

Today, it has 18,000 miles on it and the A/C compressor has failed. The dealer tells me it's $2100 to repair. Honda has known about this issue, but there is no recall or warranty repair available. With the 3-year warranty expired, I'm screwed. In the not-so-distant future, I'm getting rid of this car and Honda has lost all my future business. I agree with a previous post that these are not econobox cars. Every new car purchase should have a high-level of structural integrity and quality. Purchasing a car is a major investment and I expect high standards for safety and reliability in every car I buy. I honestly never imagined that the A/C compressor could fail at 18K miles. This is something I would expect at 60K or 70K miles.

So, based on anyone's experience here, can you recommend a reliable car manufacturer? I'm looking to stay in a small to mid-size car/sedan or compact SUV. I've not test driven anything yet, but I was eyeing the Mazda3, Hyundai Venue, Toyota Corolla or Camry, Kia Forte. Thanks in advance for your tips.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
So, based on anyone's experience here, can you recommend a reliable car manufacturer? I'm looking to stay in a small to mid-size car/sedan or compact SUV. I've not test driven anything yet, but I was eyeing the Mazda3, Hyundai Venue, Toyota Corolla or Camry, Kia Forte. Thanks in advance for your tips.
Not sure what to actually recommend. The reality is that one off experiences that go bad are, well, crappy and no doubt leave you with a bad taste in the mouth.

Equal to that reality is the simple fact that you could get into a brand new whatever and find the exact same bad, one off situation. I have always owned Hondas and still, so far, on Honda 5 (2017 Civic EX) and 6 (2020 CRV Touring), I still have no regrets. My first Honda was an 89 Accord and I murdered that car. The current Civic has had only 56k KMs put on it and other than the AC condenser, I have no complaints on quality other than the clearly cheaper paint. Without getting lost in a story on all my cars, I have only had to use warranty for the most innocuous of things and across all my vehicles, 5 times in total. Two will be the condenser on the 17 Civic and one was for paint on the roof bars on our 2010 CRV. The other two were an instrument cluster on the 2001 Civic and a transmission mount on the 2020 CRV right at purchase basically (TSB on them for making a noise).

I watch all my friends and family with their vehicles and do keep a general record of how often they do repairs or warranty and I would stick to Mazda, Honda and Toyota, regardless of how you might feel. Hyundai is not what I remember as a teenager (Pony lol) but they are still not Japanese levels of long term quality.

Go by the numbers, not the individual experience is (Unless it is a crappy dealership, that is a show stopper of course). Also, don't mistake people's stories of liking or disliking a vehicle as a representation of the quality. I hate the approach angle of my Civic with a passion but the car itself is still a fine car in my mind. But I complain unceasingly about all the bumper scrapes and touches I have to endure with it.

Oh and as always, avoid the first year of a new/"new" model from anyone. Toyota is not immune to massive recalls either. *Cough* Corolla *Cough*

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought my 2016 Civic EX-T Coupe new. Before 2016, I had owned a 1997 CR-V (bought used in 2003) and had no issues with it. The majority of my car purchases have been Toyota with no issues, although I haven't had one since 2016. I did a lot of research about the Civic and it fit my criteria for my driving purposes. The car is garaged and not exposed to the weather. I loved this car for the first couple of years. The MPG was great, it handled well, had enough power when I needed it, and was a perfect size to get into the tiny parking spaces around the city. One day when I was washing and drying the car, I leaned on the middle of the hood and it buckled inward and popped back out. That gave me pause about my safety if I was in a front-end crash. Then I noticed unusual marks in the paint, like it didn't have enough coats of paint to withstand normal, minor road debris. Last year, a taillight bulb burned out...Kind of unusual for a "young" car, I thought. The black window frames are bleaching out like it has sun damage, even though the car has always been in a garage. The so-called "carpeted" floor mats are so flattened out, it just feels like a piece of cardboard under my feet.

There was an oil dilution class action settlement last year that affected my car, but so far, it's not been a problem. In 2019, there was a software update with A/C control unit replacement. Again, no problems so far. Also in 2019, there was the A/C condenser warranty extension. I find it interesting that Honda won't pay for anything until there's a failure. They aren't proactive in resolving the known problems, so they want me to sit on a ticking time bomb.

Today, it has 18,000 miles on it and the A/C compressor has failed. The dealer tells me it's $2100 to repair. Honda has known about this issue, but there is no recall or warranty repair available. With the 3-year warranty expired, I'm screwed. In the not-so-distant future, I'm getting rid of this car and Honda has lost all my future business. I agree with a previous post that these are not econobox cars. Every new car purchase should have a high-level of structural integrity and quality. Purchasing a car is a major investment and I expect high standards for safety and reliability in every car I buy. I honestly never imagined that the A/C compressor could fail at 18K miles. This is something I would expect at 60K or 70K miles.

So, first of all, if you are out of warranty, you can still have Honda help you with the A/C compressor repair. You have low miles and they can either pay for the whole repair or 1/2 with you. Also, you can look at an independent garage as their labor will not be rip-off level high. Some Honda dealerships charge 150 or 125/ hour. Out of curiosity, how often did you idle your engine with the A/C on? I live in the desert but still try to only run the engine with it moving forward through the air.

Regarding changing, remember that as soon as the car becomes yours, you typically lose about 4k. So changing cars is usually expensive. But, right now it is a strange moment as cars are very expensive and you could get top dollar for your low miles Civic. Even with the compressor repair that a dealer could repair for less money you could get close to 16k on trade-in. If you are talking about approach angle, I think you mean ride-height or clearance in front? The angle is fine, but the front overhang is a bit long as is the low ride height. I would recommend Toyota Corolla above everything else, but it is a little low as well. It is a solid car and Toyota guard their reputation much better than Honda typically does. Honda favors profitability. Anyways, Subaru Crosstreks are nice and have more clearance and the Toyota C-HR is a good-looking car in my eyes also with more ground-clearance. Some of the Mazda 3's are nice too and having worked for Mazda I can tell you that they do appreciate their loyal customers. Just remember that all car companies are in the business to make money so whenever they can, their standard is to fleece you in one way or another. Also, don't forget that Honda parts get 100% mark-up by dealers so you could talk to a body shop or mechanic about getting you a Honda compressor for 1/2 price. Have a good tech with refrigerant recycling hardware to capture the old refrigerant and make sure all of the O-rings are replaced during the install. ALL OF THEM! And they should be lubricated on install. They often want to replace the dryer and this costs more money but one can be had for cheaper. You should be able to reuse the condenser fine.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
If you are talking about approach angle, I think you mean ride-height or clearance in front? The angle is fine, but the front overhang is a bit long as is the low ride height.
This was from my post, not @World Traveler .

However, it is an approach angle. Yes, that term is usually reserved for off roading but when you have to worry about how slow to drive entering leaving parking lots, it is an approach angle as to the Civic, the roadway is now off roading! ;)

On the upside, the new Gen11 Civics got some ground clearance back and I hope it translates into angles and dangles for getting in and out of parking lots.
Sponsored