Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This hopefully will be helpful to those of you considering a tune but worried about a tune hurting your drivetrain's longevity. I have a base 1.5T w/CVT but this applies in many ways to the other models too. For the most part, people talking tunes tend to talk about high boost and 1/4 mile times and so on. How far they can push things. But there's another aspect to tuning and one that might surprise you. It's about how a tune can improve day to day driveability without increasing stock boost numbers all that much.

I run three tunes on the fly. My daily driver tune, my fun tune and my aggressive tune. And believe it or not, I spend the most time on the lowest psi tune (16-17 psi depending on the setup). Not only is it much more responsive than stock, it offers more than enough power for almost any situation. Yet, 16 or 17 psi doesn't sound like much more than Honda's boost claims for the base 1.5 turbo. The difference is in power delivery.

The quick enables and adjustments of KTuner is where the driveability magic happens. The throttle responds faster, the turbo spools quicker and power ramps to the boost target much quicker than stock. Instead of that wait for it, laggy acceleration, you get nearly instant power.

Here's a real world example of what I'm talking about. I usually do most of my commute on the highway but I had to go through all city stop and go traffic today for 8 miles. Untuned, it would be a chore. Stopping and starting and then finally seeing a gap in traffic. But untuned, the lag had me hesitating (sorry for the pun) to make my move in tight quarters. Tuned, I see a gap. I make my move. It's such a confidence inspiring thing to know power will be there the instant you want it. It's fantastic.

And that's with my lowest power and least aggressive quick adjustments. When I toggle some CC buttons and get to my 21.5 psi aggressive tune, it's even better. But I save that for "special occasions". ;)

I feel confident that using the lower power tune quite often means I'm stressing components less. And even in this morning's stop and go traffic I got 33+ mpg. It's a win win.

If you have one performance mod to do, get a KTuner. Your car will stay reliable as long as you show some restraint and don't abuse it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

lieche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Would you mind sharing your on the fly set up? Been tinkering around with mine, would love to see where you've landed on yours.

I also haven't touched bbg, do you find it very necessary?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Early Spool: on; using 93 octane...

Honda Civic 10th gen "I want to tune but I'm afraid it will kill my reliability" newesttunesettings

Note: I recently changed my Tune 3 boost target ramp rate back to Aggressive I.

As far as BBG, since my car is my DD and I don't launch it, I just don't have a huge need to use it.

Last edited:

lieche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag

newesttunesettings.png

As far as BBG, since my car is my DD and I don't launch it, I just don't have a huge need to use it.
Thanks for sharing, why the down tune to aggressive 1? Is it a very noticeable difference?

My setup is similar but I'm trying a bbg with 1st gear to 17 psi and the rest left alone With vsa disable is seems pretty good, but I've only got 1 drive in on this set up

I haven't noticed too much dif between having vsa enabled / disabled.. Any input on that?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With Aggressive II on the boost ramp it feels like power fizzles out quicker on the top end. It's really just perception, I'm sure the actual difference is small. I'm really looking forward the the TSP tune because that should offer a much improved top end.

Like I said in reference to your question about boost by gear, for the way I drive, I'm OK with VSA being enabled. And I can defeat it somewhat with a quick press of the button.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i will second the reliability thing with ktuner.
i have a si with 65k or so on it. 50k with ktuner. tsp1.
i track day it and drive it hard but not abuse it. i launch but not smokem.
the only reliability thing i have had to do is a clutch as stock clutch does not hold for long with map 2 which i usually run at about 22psi.

tough cars. local honda dealer says they would honour warranty claims as long as they cannot prove the tune caused the issue.

max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex 1.5t cvt
Country flag
i will second the reliability thing with ktuner.
i have a si with 65k or so on it. 50k with ktuner. tsp1.
i track day it and drive it hard but not abuse it. i launch but not smokem.
the only reliability thing i have had to do is a clutch as stock clutch does not hold for long with map 2 which i usually run at about 22psi.

tough cars. local honda dealer says they would honour warranty claims as long as they cannot prove the tune caused the issue.
lets not forget our civics may now have a 6yr unlimited miles warranty:)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
He's talking about the US oil dilution TSB and the engine warranty extension.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Done deal as far as I've read.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

newesttunesettings.png

The 'Custom Boost' deal gets me because I don' t know what the custom boost actually is. Guess you'd just have to know by reading about it if it was part of a paid for tune (Ex: TSP).

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
You should become a KTuner spokesperson lol. But you're right, a lot of people are wary about tuning but the KTuner tunes are really solid, nothing to worry about reliability wise. Best mod you can do to your car.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 'Custom Boost' deal gets me because I don' t know what the custom boost actually is. Guess you'd just have to know by reading about it if it was part of a paid for tune (Ex: TSP).
The custom boost level is this...

On an individual tune chose a boost target from the pulldown. For example 18 psi. Then go into the actual boost table. Adjust it to your liking. When finished chose custom boost level from the dropdown. It really just serves as a reminder that you manually adjusted some boost targets differently than Ktuner's original setup.

I like to bump up boost a touch from 4000 rpm to 5500 rpm. I like the extra bit of power at the top.
Sponsored