I think Im finally tired of the type R... at least its drive train.

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
Dont get me wrong I still love the car. But I am about over manual transmissions. and even then i still love manual transmissions, been driving them over 30 years now, it is just where I live.

I live in a metro area with 450k people, the problem is that the area is all mountains and there are only two main roads going through like 5 counties. The two main highway make a big cross and are only 2 lanes wide and are the only way in and out of the entire area from south carolina all the way to tennessee. there are locally only 3 main side roads which are also only 2 lane and everything else is back roads that are small and twist and turn and are very slow.

So every day for years now the main highways are backed up every day ...every freakin day all day for miles and miles. week ends are horrible. so everyone gets off and onto the secondary roads which there are only 3 of and you got it they are blocked up for miles and miles and hours and hours. you can go anywhere in this area period with out sitting in traffic.

I put a new tune on the other day and wanted to go test it out. I drove around the entire county 2 hours and could never get above 35. Mind you its a trip that should take 20 mins tops.

Right now it is to the point driving a manual around here is so aggravating that the R just sits and I end up taking the automatic ford. Mind you my ford is a beater car that I throw lawn mowers in.

I love the R and I love manuals but where I live... makes me not want to drive it. My buddies that all had Rs got rid of theirs and I just realized they all have automatics now...hummmm. Never thought of it wonder if that was a reason for them as well. Even the local cars meets most have automatics....I need to ask I think its the area makes owning a manual a pain in the behind.
Although I don't have an R, I was somewhat in the same boat. In regards to driving a performance vehicle as a daily. I recently sold my 2011 WRX tastefully modded and tuned after a month or so of ownership. Because driving manual in my daily driving conditions got old and annoying real fast. Now I'm in a super comfy automatic, I certainly know how you feel.

Mind you I only have one vehicle, if I had 2 cars. I could of kept it, but I wanted to downsize to 1 vehicle. Personally for me, having a performance/etc. car just sitting around and only driven 1x a week or less. Isn't justifiable for me to keep, especially if making monthly payments and insurance on it.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
If traffic was so bad around me that it made me consider selling my car... I might just move instead. lol
I'm SERIOUSLY considering moving, or at least taking a temporary assignment, to the UK. The roads there are so fun! YEs gas is expensive, but...literally every road is a continuous passing zone. Love it!

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Dont get me wrong I still love the car. But I am about over manual transmissions. and even then i still love manual transmissions, been driving them over 30 years now, it is just where I live.

I live in a metro area with 450k people, the problem is that the area is all mountains and there are only two main roads going through like 5 counties. The two main highway make a big cross and are only 2 lanes wide and are the only way in and out of the entire area from south carolina all the way to tennessee. there are locally only 3 main side roads which are also only 2 lane and everything else is back roads that are small and twist and turn and are very slow.

So every day for years now the main highways are backed up every day ...every freakin day all day for miles and miles. week ends are horrible. so everyone gets off and onto the secondary roads which there are only 3 of and you got it they are blocked up for miles and miles and hours and hours. you can go anywhere in this area period with out sitting in traffic.

I put a new tune on the other day and wanted to go test it out. I drove around the entire county 2 hours and could never get above 35. Mind you its a trip that should take 20 mins tops.

Right now it is to the point driving a manual around here is so aggravating that the R just sits and I end up taking the automatic ford. Mind you my ford is a beater car that I throw lawn mowers in.

I love the R and I love manuals but where I live... makes me not want to drive it. My buddies that all had Rs got rid of theirs and I just realized they all have automatics now...hummmm. Never thought of it wonder if that was a reason for them as well. Even the local cars meets most have automatics....I need to ask I think its the area makes owning a manual a pain in the behind.
The Type R wasn’t designed to be driven in a metro area with 450,000 people nor was your tune designed to go get groceries. This is a track car, and it winding up sitting not getting driven makes perfect sense. I fail to see the issue?

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
The only thing i can add due to my limited knowledge is that I got really frustrated when I was just West of Ashville North Carolina in the winding mountain highway headed from Nashville to Greensboro because the cars drive too slowly there. And compared to my Hatchback Sport the type R I drove has a better top end but a little softer from 2-4k RPM. Still I love the type R and if I could afford it I would be in that daily!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Would NOT be a problem here in Maryland, Everyone drives above the speed limit (and mostly can as everyone else is !!)
I would suggest it may be time to move -- but then maybe not -- If everyone moved here, we would have the same traffic issues as LA !!
Sponsored