I think Im finally tired of the type R... at least its drive train.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
I've made the mistake of selling cool cars that made OK daily drivers but still got tiring after a while (1st gen NSX comes to mind). Don't sell it. Go and buy a really boring car as your daily and keep the Type R. You will thank us later. I am so bummed I sold my cool cars now. I am not making that mistake again when I get a Type R. I already picked up a new Passport, so that I'm free to love the Type R and not have it ever get "tiring".
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Automatic?

weak...

I been driving Manual cars once 1991....in all conditions. Can’t imagine not having one. Especially one as basic to drive as a Civic R.
maybe you should sell... get a Lincoln town car lol
weak?
maybe canada isn't as bad as down here. I never been down there so i don't know how it is.

I been driving manual all my life too and i have no problem driving in traffic but what's the point of driving a CTR in my commute when the average speed is like 15 mph and i'm stuck on the road for over a hour for a 30 mile drive home. There is just no point of driving such a car during your commute here.

Traffic down here is straight out brutal.

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Automatic?

weak...

I been driving Manual cars once 1991....in all conditions. Can’t imagine not having one. Especially one as basic to drive as a Civic R.
maybe you should sell... get a Lincoln town car lol
Nah it's not weak... if I lived in L.A. and had to commute I would have to have an automatic. The traffic there is just so brutal it's almost indescribable.

A CTR is a fun car, but not when you literally having to depress the clutch, slowly let out in first gear just above idle speed, and then depress the clutch again and come to a stop 100-200 times in an evening commute. I don't care who you are, that crap gets old super fast :(

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I love having a beater. My wife and I trade off driving a Honda Acty and an HRV and the CTR remains nice and clean so it is ready to go out when I'm going somewhere fun to drive. It's nice to not be using up the CTR's expensive tires and putting so many cold starts on the engine just to drive one mile down the road to work.

I know it is not always possible for a variety of reasons, but I highly recommend moving near where you work if you can. My wife and I both have a one mile commute and we love the extra time we get to relax and have fun on weeknights. Before we were driving 1.5 hours per day and it was exhausting.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I love having a beater. My wife and I trade off driving a Honda Acty and an HRV and the CTR remains nice and clean so it is ready to go out when I'm going somewhere fun to drive. It's nice to not be using up the CTR's expensive tires and putting so many cold starts on the engine just to drive one mile down the road to work.

I know it is not always possible for a variety of reasons, but I highly recommend moving near where you work if you can. My wife and I both have a one mile commute and we love the extra time we get to relax and have fun on weeknights. Before we were driving 1.5 hours per day and it was exhausting.
my commute used to be 2 miles away and i didn't even have to take main streets ... I really miss those days compare to now with the 1hr+ and 30mile each way .... so much time wasted sitting in traffic with so many opportunities to get hit by someone cause everyone is on their phone.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Even better is not working at all! Says the guy who worked for 35 years. Retirement...trust me do it as soon as you can. I sit around the house just looking for excuses to go drive the R.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I think it comes down to more research needed when purchasing a vehicle. Did you buy it and then move there? You don't buy a manual if you know you will be sitting in that type of traffic everyday and not going outside of that box. I don't mind driving it in and around Chicago every other week but that's me. Every-day driving, I wouldn't have purchased it knowing I could only hit ~35mph at any one point. Well, maybe I would because I like manuals and the Type R has a great one. It's basically an auto minus me shifting sometimes so there's some bias there.

But again, reasearch and needs play into it before it gets to the point of stating that it sucks for your commute. Maybe it does, but why did you buy a Type R, manual, only to know you were sitting in that everyday?

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Nah it's not weak... if I lived in L.A. and had to commute I would have to have an automatic. The traffic there is just so brutal it's almost indescribable.

A CTR is a fun car, but not when you literally having to depress the clutch, slowly let out in first gear just above idle speed, and then depress the clutch again and come to a stop 100-200 times in an evening commute. I don't care who you are, that crap gets old super fast :(
This. Don't buy a Type R if you know your driving conditions or expect it. I would buy it living back in Glendale anyway but that's me. Most people scream at having to work a clutch that much.

redwing497

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda S2000, 2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I agree with the OP. So much so that I've considered selling the R, which I lusted after for 2 years before I bought it, for a Scat Pack Challenger with a widebody package and...an 8spd auto. Big, comfortable V8 GT car which would be fine in traffic.

I can get my manual fix from the S2000. I sit in quite a bit of traffic every day as well up here in North Jersey. It's a very rare occurrence when I can open it up and stretch the legs.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
I agree with the OP. So much so that I've considered selling the R, which I lusted after for 2 years before I bought it, for a Scat Pack Challenger with a widebody package and...an 8spd auto. Big, comfortable V8 GT car which would be fine in traffic.

I can get my manual fix from the S2000. I sit in quite a bit of traffic every day as well up here in North Jersey. It's a very rare occurrence when I can open it up and stretch the legs.
Traffic sucks either way

I used to daily a hellcat on my commute, that wasnt a lot of fun either getting <15mpg averaging 15mph

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Got a comfy MDX as a daily, snow, rain, traffic jam, I just sit, relax, turn on some tunes or podcasts.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I think the only thing I would possibly sell mine for is a used Lexus RCF; bit even then, no matter what, I don’t have it in me to do such a thing.

jmontygman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM FK8 #17029
Country flag
Just curious. I live in Greenville, and from your post I’m assuming you are talking about the stretch between TR and Hendersonville. Am I close?

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Just curious. I live in Greenville, and from your post I’m assuming you are talking about the stretch between TR and Hendersonville. Am I close?
TR? But yes from hendersonville to asheville up 26 to 40 to tennesee. 2 lane mountain high way that 3 states worth of traffic is trying to travel cause its the only 2 roads connecting them. The road system here is so bad that a light rain and 2 accidents will shut down 3 counties. There is even you tube videos of the problems here now I saw.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
If traffic was so bad around me that it made me consider selling my car... I might just move instead. lol
Sponsored