I think Im finally tired of the type R... at least its drive train.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I love my 09 Rav4! It has the V6 and is quite spunky for a smaller SUV. It takes me anywhere in the winter if I keep good tires on it. Been pretty cheap transportation since new. Also good grandkid hauler. Although doesn't get used much in good weather.
Sponsored

Melvinspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2015 Ford Flex
Country flag
I concur that its no fun to commute in the Type R with traffic. It does the job, but it's not satisfying at all. I don't mind the shifting, but there's just no opportunity to let it run.
Of course, no car really satisfies in rush-hour commute; which is why I don't drive my CTR to work.

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Stop and go traffic generally sucks with a MT, but I would say the CTR is better in a few ways than other MT vehicles. The clutch is 'softer' than some, the shifter is smooth as silk, the range of RPM that you can use is wide (to avoid shifting from 2nd to 3rd and back a lot), and the automatic brake hold system IS GREAT when you really have to STOP in the stop and go. Auto-Brake-Hold is BETTER than an automatic because you don't have to keep your foot on the brake. The auto brake hold is one of the excellent items I got with my CTR that I didn't even know I wanted.

Kai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner, CBR 600RR
Country flag
If my everyday commute was through heavy traffic, I'd buy a Tesla. The auto-pilot feature is great in those situations.. just sit back and relax!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love my 09 Rav4! It has the V6 and is quite spunky for a smaller SUV. It takes me anywhere in the winter if I keep good tires on it. Been pretty cheap transportation since new. Also good grandkid hauler. Although doesn't get used much in good weather.
Haha yeah the RAV4 gets the job done but mine is a measly 4 cylinder - wish it was a V6 but minus the LETHARGIC 4 speed it does pretty good. It’s comfortable and very easy to drive and see out of.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I concur that its no fun to commute in the Type R with traffic. It does the job, but it's not satisfying at all. I don't mind the shifting, but there's just no opportunity to let it run.
Of course, no car really satisfies in rush-hour commute; which is why I don't drive my CTR to work.
My wife and I have had three Nissan Muranos from '16-'18 and they are amazing cars for crap traffic, if there ever was such a thing.

They are super-smooth from the drivetrain, take bumps great for a car suspension, very quiet inside, have a great auto A/C, good sound systems, etc. I have no complaints at all about them, other than they aren't exactly exciting. So smooth though and so easy to drive in terrible conditions. The 360 camera is amazing and makes city driving a breeze. Same with the laser cruise.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's why i have the ILX as a DD lol. The R is comfortable and even has a really light clutch but it's just not fun to drive in traffic.

Traffic down here in LA is brutal.
yeah, wish I still have my beater/dd SUV, but my wife took it and sold our other SUV...daily the CTR in traffic can get tiring

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Was this not considered prior to getting the car? Or did you recently move to where you live now?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the worst thing is being stuck behind a truck or whatever, not being able to go around them, and having to constantly shuffle gears. It gets old real fast. Stop and go is another pain point. The clutch may be light but it still strains you after doing it for 10+ min straight.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the worst thing is being stuck behind a truck or whatever, not being able to go around them, and having to constantly shuffle gears. It gets old real fast. Stop and go is another pain point. The clutch may be light but it still strains you after doing it for 10+ min straight.
It’s usually 1-2 hrs straight around here + 18-wheelers often merge into the wrong lane right in front of ya. The adaptive cruise control in Honda Sensing (auto transmission) looks rather tempting right about now.

jinderC

Dont get me wrong I still love the car. But I am about over manual transmissions. and even then i still love manual transmissions, been driving them over 30 years now, it is just where I live.

I live in a metro area with 450k people, the problem is that the area is all mountains and there are only two main roads going through like 5 counties. The two main highway make a big cross and are only 2 lanes wide and are the only way in and out of the entire area from south carolina all the way to tennessee. there are locally only 3 main side roads which are also only 2 lane and everything else is back roads that are small and twist and turn and are very slow.

So every day for years now the main highways are backed up every day ...every freakin day all day for miles and miles. week ends are horrible. so everyone gets off and onto the secondary roads which there are only 3 of and you got it they are blocked up for miles and miles and hours and hours. you can go anywhere in this area period with out sitting in traffic.

I put a new tune on the other day and wanted to go test it out. I drove around the entire county 2 hours and could never get above 35. Mind you its a trip that should take 20 mins tops.

Right now it is to the point driving a manual around here is so aggravating that the R just sits and I end up taking the automatic ford. Mind you my ford is a beater car that I throw lawn mowers in.

I love the R and I love manuals but where I live... makes me not want to drive it. My buddies that all had Rs got rid of theirs and I just realized they all have automatics now...hummmm. Never thought of it wonder if that was a reason for them as well. Even the local cars meets most have automatics....I need to ask I think its the area makes owning a manual a pain in the behind.
Automatic?

weak...

I been driving Manual cars once 1991....in all conditions. Can’t imagine not having one. Especially one as basic to drive as a Civic R.
maybe you should sell... get a Lincoln town car lol

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
The only real solution is to keep the CTR and also have a really cheap automatic car as a side DD. One for fun, one for work.
Sponsored

Last edited: