Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
If you lurk around subie and Evo forums, you'll find quite a few accounts of blown engines due to methanol/flex fuel kits. Many of them occuring during regular driving and especially when not diluting. I don't think flex fuel issues are strictly on this platform.
Sponsored

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
Why does anyone think a Honda Civic is a performance car? There's where the problem starts. If you have the need for speed, save some cash and get a real go-fast ride.
Exactly....

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
If you lurk around subie and Evo forums, you'll find quite a few accounts of blown engines due to methanol/flex fuel kits. Many of them occuring during regular driving and especially when not diluting. I don't think flex fuel issues are strictly on this platform.

"Micah" on clubwrx and evoxforums

Owned one of each. Never been a fan of meth injection systems.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Hopefully we will get the exact failure and cause shortly from the OP, but he has been very open and honest about what mods he's done, runs and races etc. From his past posts and history we can pretty much conclude what went wrong. He shared a video with me the other day where he didn't beat, but humiliated a very new looking WRX. It wasn't even close. He left the dude so far behind that when the race was over the guy had a holy shit what just happened look. Putting that much power and torque on the stock internals is just not natural and this was bound to happen sooner than later

Last edited:

CGMIXN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC SI
Country flag
How did Maperformance do it cuz I believe the YouTube video said that they only have a bigger turbo and all the extra parts for the fuel rail I mean they're getting 500 and some horses and racing that thing down the track all the time and they ain't blowing a lot of motors only one that I know of says in the video that they have stock rods and so on

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I have almost 70,000km on my car and 60k have been tuned. I beat on my car daily. I'm just cautious of where my revs are at before going WOT and I always make sure I'm in the appropriate gear. Keep up to date with oil changes - preferably before the maintenance minder.

I know the OP was hard on his car and read that he was tuning issues for awhile. Unfortunately he learned the hard way about racing with messed up fuel trims and such. I still think it comes down to the driver and maintenance 99% of time.

Heck, I had a stage 2 Subaru STI that I had for 300,000km on the stock motor still going strong before I sold it. For anyone who knows Subaru, those EJs are ticking time bombs yet with proper maintenance and not abusing it I managed to to push it that far. I beat on it daily as well, but I'm not trying to hit full boost at low rpm in a higher gear.
I think high load in low rpms are a big problem for 10th gen Civic MTs. I try to creep into my boost instead of just hammering the throttle down like it's super charged and not turbo charged. Unless I am at least 3k rpm, I am not pushing full boost. I really think a good portion of rod failure is driver error.

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did Maperformance do it cuz I believe the YouTube video said that they only have a bigger turbo and all the extra parts for the fuel rail I mean they're getting 500 and some horses and racing that thing down the track all the time and they ain't blowing a lot of motors only one that I know of says in the video that they have stock rods and so on
I don’t think MAP drives those cars everyday as a daily vehicle.
They see a lot of abuse on the track but they have a team looking over everything. It’s a little different for the everyday car that put in mileage everyday.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Whether you drive it hard or not, these tunes will blow our engines eventually. And I highly doubt pookie abused his Si anyways.
They blame the driver to appease themselves that their tuned cars may not suffer the same faith cuz the driver is different.
FlexRex and Honda_RacerX... as you can see from the quotes below (from actual tuned Civic drivers), it's not only my point of view regarding abuse by the driver being a huge contributor to catastrophic failure, Yes, the failures have occurred on tuned cars. Yes, tunes add stress. The part you guys aren't accepting is that the mild Civic X base tunes driven in a normal everyday way, in a car that's properly maintained, are "relatively" safe. Nothing is risk-free when you are adding additional power. But implying that it's unsafe to tune, paints a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously though, you are entitled to your opinion.

most of the time it’s the driver pushing the vehicle over its limit.
The "loose nut behind the wheel" also contributes to the issue. From driver inputs to bad luck in choosing a tuner or failing to notice warning signs....
I will agree that a lot of the blown motor threads are because something was done that shouldn't be done. Bad tune, miss shift, full E85, ect
The guy in this thread had a bad tune and he raced on it for months, this specific blown engine does not make it apparent that the car can’t handle more boost. I’m only talking about this specific instance. As far as the other blown engine threads there does seem to be a lot of fishy things with them
the most logical and rational thing is to state that abusive driving + too much torque wrecks these engines.
Yes, having a tune exacerbates issues combined with aggressive or abusive driving habits. My contention is that the KTuner and Hondata maps are conservative but clearly the owner has to understand the inherent risks and has to respect the additional power.
I still think it comes down to the driver and maintenance 99% of time.
I really think a good portion of rod failure is driver error.

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
FlexRex and Honda_RacerX... as you can see from the quotes below (from actual tuned Civic drivers), it's not only my point of view regarding abuse by the driver being a huge contributor to catastrophic failure, Yes, the failures have occurred on tuned cars. Yes, tunes add stress. The part you guys aren't accepting is that the mild Civic X base tunes driven in a normal everyday way, in a car that's properly maintained, are "relatively" safe. Nothing is risk-free when you are adding additional power. But implying that it's unsafe to tune, paints a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously though, you are entitled to your opinion.
You forget me.....

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
I dont race/abuse my car daily. But i do hit max boost daily. Who here hits max boost daily raise your right hand

Question. Who tunes a car to drive it more conservatively than they did on the oem tune or because oem tune was fast enough? Not one person. Everyone who tunes for the extra power feels/uses it.

Now add the extra power and the driver (more aggressive driving style) mod and you got a recipe for this.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
I blame the injen intake

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
FlexRex...

You're misunderstanding my definition of "conservatively" in this context. WOT pulls and passing maneuvers and driving aggressively doesn't equate to abuse. Conservative to me means basically keeping your same driving style as before you were tuned; just having more fun doing it.

This as opposed to abuse. Which includes things like constant launching, racing, anti-lag overuse, missed shifts, poor quality intakes, not monitoring fuel trims and other parameters, poor maintenance, using improper fuel etc...

For the record, I honestly don't drive more aggressively than before. I pick and choose my moments of fun (just like before the tune) but now I have more confidence in my car's performance.

Keep in mind, I drive a base 1.5 turbo, not an Si. So maybe I'm less inclined to go as overboard as some of the Si guys? Plus my tune has substantially less hp and tq.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I blame the injen intake
Injen =
Honda Civic 10th gen I think I snapped a rod... tenor
on this forum and on another car forum that I frequent. Not from first-hand experience but from many user comments across different forums.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
FlexRex...

You're misunderstanding my definition of "conservatively" in this context. WOT pulls and passing maneuvers and driving aggressively doesn't equate to abuse. Conservative to me means basically keeping your same driving style as before you were tuned; just having more fun doing it.

This as opposed to abuse. Which includes things like constant launching, racing, anti-lag overuse, missed shifts, poor quality intakes, not monitoring fuel trims and other parameters, poor maintenance, using improper fuel etc...

For the record, I honestly don't drive more aggressively than before. I pick and choose my moments of fun (just like before the tune) but now I have more confidence in my car's performance.

Keep in mind, I drive a base 1.5 turbo, not an Si. So maybe I'm less inclined to go as overboard as some of the Si guys? Plus my tune has substantially less hp and tq.

I have an Si. I have a past of driving very aggressively. I have hit two deer, gotten married, become a stepfather to one great kid, and fathered two more. I drive the girls to daycare every morning during the week. Once I drop them off, I have fun as traffic allows. I quickly hop on the parkway and drive to work. This is where I get great mpg. Then after work I drive home, great mpg on the parkway, and a little fun on local roads towards home.

Long before I became the quasi responsible adult, I was interested in the balance between horsepower and fuel economy. Learned a few things the hard way. Eventually I learned to listen to common wisdom of mechanic and performance shop owning friends. Blown 2 engines and 1 trans. I loved my 2002 Z06 and WRX for being able to balance the two. I hated my 2011 EvoX and 2012 and 2013 N18 based Minis because they had no balance.

The Si was a car my friends owned in previous generations. Vtec always struck me as a lousy one trick pony. Power sky high in the revs, making noise and getting cops attention. The 10th gen fixes that in my eyes. Do not think I would hate having vtec with a turbo. I can live in the low rpms plenty for fuel economy and enjoy the extra kick up high. Anyway, thats more or less my background and thoughts. I follow the OCI and normal maintenance. I do not abuse my car and I rarely exceed the speed limit for long. I don't think I am alone here. I suspect @Design and @Myx also drive tame most of the time and keep up on maintenance, then have random fun as each drive permits.

Tldr, I get good mpg and hit 25/26 # pretty much daily. Thus far the car is good.

Flexrex stating nobody tunes their car to drive it easy most of the time.... Seems short sighted or maybe I am not understanding what was posted

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Enough speculation here. Lots of good information, lots of junk as well.

I think the OP's post history says enough about what led to this engine failure. OP is welcome to create a new follow up post when new information is available, if desired.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.