I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised....

Bulldog Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ridgeline RTL-E, 2017 MX-5 GT, 2016 Civic LX, 2007 Element SC
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised.... ima
I currently have a '17 MX-5 GT and absolutely love it. I previously owned 4 different S2000s over a 13 year period and can honestly say the ND brings me more joy as its great fun at any speed. With the hp bump in the '19s I've been thinking of trading up. My wife says we should get something more practical, like an SI or a Sport Touring....hmmm...we have an '18 Ridgeline RTL-E and an '07 Element SC. Can't get more practical than those 2 amazing vehicles. I told her that if we are going to take that step then the CTR needs to be on that list. Has anyone gone from an ND Miata to a CTR and regretted it?
Sponsored

baillieul

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
image.jpeg
I currently have a '17 MX-5 GT and absolutely love it. I previously owned 4 different S2000s over a 13 year period and can honestly say the ND brings me more joy as its great fun at any speed. With the hp bump in the '19s I've been thinking of trading up. My wife says we should get something more practical, like an SI or a Sport Touring....hmmm...we have an '18 Ridgeline RTL-E and an '07 Element SC. Can't get more practical than those 2 amazing vehicles. I told her that if we are going to take that step then the CTR needs to be on that list. Has anyone gone from an ND Miata to a CTR and regretted it?
Your Miata looks amazing. I am sure it handles like its on rails. Beautiful color. I would be hard pressed to trade that for a CTR.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I had a '17 Si and almost bought a '20 Si off the truck last week then I remembered how much I enjoy driving Miatas and decided to buy one. I passed on the opportunity to buy a new white Type R at MSRP this week as well - I respect the Type R, but I've never been all that interested in owning one. There were only 29 Miatas nationwide configured how I wanted. I lost four of them within a reasonable driving distance of me by hours while haggling over the last several hundred dollars. I had given up when a Miata forum member noticed the exact configuration I'd been searching for was delivered from Hiroshima just days ago and was not yet showing up in listings. I managed to get a hold of someone at the dealer on a Sunday and we agreed on a price, but he wouldn't hold the car for more than a day. He said someone was coming Wednesday to make a trade and it was first come, first served. I scrambled to find a 3-hour ride to the dealer and plan to leave work at noon to go get it. I think Mazda's four-layer, extra-cost Soul Red Crystal Metallic paint is beautiful.

image.jpeg
I also own a '19 Ridgeline RTL-E. I assume you're BulldogDan at the Ridgeline Owners Club? :)

Honda Civic 10th gen I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised.... upload_2019-10-21_9-22-56
Honda Civic 10th gen I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised.... upload_2019-10-21_9-23-57

Honda Civic 10th gen I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised.... upload_2019-10-21_9-23-31

Bulldog Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ridgeline RTL-E, 2017 MX-5 GT, 2016 Civic LX, 2007 Element SC
Country flag
I had a '17 Si and almost bought a '20 Si off the truck last week then I remembered how much I enjoy driving Miatas and decided to buy one. I passed on the opportunity to buy a new white Type R at MSRP this week as well - I respect the Type R, but I've never been all that interested in owning one. There were only 29 Miatas nationwide configured how I wanted. I lost four of them within a reasonable driving distance of me by hours while haggling over the last several hundred dollars. I had given up when a Miata forum member noticed the exact configuration I'd been searching for was delivered from Hiroshima just days ago and was not yet showing up in listings. I managed to get a hold of someone at the dealer on a Sunday and we agreed on a price, but he wouldn't hold the car for more than a day. He said someone was coming Wednesday to make a trade and it was first come, first served. I scrambled to find a 3-hour ride to the dealer and plan to leave work at noon to go get it. I think Mazda's four-layer, extra-cost Soul Red Crystal Metallic paint is beautiful.

I also own a '19 Ridgeline RTL-E. I assume you're BulldogDan at the Ridgeline Owners Club? :)

upload_2019-10-21_9-22-56.png
upload_2019-10-21_9-23-57.png

upload_2019-10-21_9-23-31.png
Yep, I'm Bulldog Dan at the R.O.C....but I no longer have the Ridgeline. We bought a larger camper so I now own a pristine 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior to tow it. I also sold the '17 MX-5 and bought an '18 MX-5 GT in snowflake Pearl with the cranberry soft top. Bought the slightly used '18 for $1,100 more than I sold the '17 for. Very happy with moving up a year. I'm finding white vehicles are pretty easy to keep looking nice.

Honda Civic 10th gen I test drove a 2018 Mazda Miata (155hp), and was surprised.... ima

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

upload_2019-10-21_9-22-56.png
upload_2019-10-21_9-23-57.png

upload_2019-10-21_9-23-31.png
Congrats! Beautiful color. Is that a GT or GT-S (with LSD)? The ND2 with the power bump to 181 hp is the perfect Miata. You'll have a lot of fun. Consider flashing the ECU with the OpenFlash Tablet (OFT) if you want to bump the car up to 200 hp. Cheers!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I also sold the '17 MX-5 and bought an '18 MX-5 GT in snowflake Pearl with the cranberry soft top. Bought the slightly used '18 for $1,100 more than I sold the '17 for. Very happy with moving up a year. I'm finding white vehicles are pretty easy to keep looking nice.
My default color has become white as well. I wasn't opposed to a white MX-5, but I was drawn to the SRCM after seeing it on other Mazdas and I needed a little contrast in my garage.

Congrats! Beautiful color. Is that a GT or GT-S (with LSD)? The ND2 with the power bump to 181 hp is the perfect Miata. You'll have a lot of fun.
It's a GT-S.

Although I've driven and tracked Miatas before, I've never taken one on the highway or on a road trip. The three-hour, mostly-highway trip back home was tolerable. I was able to keep the top down until it got below 60ºF with the heat and heated seats on. There was much less wind buffeting than I expected with the top down. There were copious amounts of wind, road, and engine noise with the top up, but it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting.

I bought it right off the truck with the plastic still in place, so I've got to wash, clay, and wax it. It got pretty dirty on the drive home.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
33E042D3-D567-4FCE-9FEB-6CAB03180B77.jpeg
I have a 2017 Miata club with bbs/Brembo pack

Love it :)
If you're still on here, I'm considering trading my 2019 Type R in for this very same setup. I moved to So Cal and have no room to really stretch the Type R's legs, and am eager to get into something without a roof. That said, I've heard that the bolsters on the Recaros can be a bit uncomfortable. How did you find the seats compared to our Type R seats?