I reached 10,000 Kilometers! Here are my thoughts on my car.

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Lx"FK7" (Canadian spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, I'm just making this thread to share my experience with my 2018 Honda Civic hatchback lx (Canadian spec). I got the car last September as my first car, and it was the best purchase to date! At first I loved everything about it except that it has a CVT tranny.

At first I had my thoughts of trading in the car but many of you guys said no to getting a sport manual and said that dealerships love idiots such as myself atm. When the car was driven around the winter time it did have the "oil dilution" everyone was so scared of, mine had it especially bad. There was a quarter of a liter of gas mixed with the oil.

The oil dilution problem was fixed when I stopped by the dealer for the oil change notice. They fixed the oil dilution free of charge, thanks Kitchener Honda! Shortly after that I treated my car to a set if new wheels. Keeping the same OEM size of tire but going with a 16"×8.5" +20 offset for a more aggressive poke stance. I sold the factory Hankook Optimos tires and got michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ sized at 215/55/R16 93V on my new MST time attack rims sized at 16"×8,5" +20 offset. I still had the OEM rims with Michelin X-Ice on them as my winter set of wheels.

The total cost of new summer wheels where $3180 CAD. $900 bucks for the tires and $2280 for the rims. It was wheel worth it since the car can actually handle like a speed train on rails. I've won my fair share of races against cars that I thought would beat me but somehow I pulled out a win, but that's a topic for a different thread.

I'm saving and planning on doing a Intake, Exhaust and a possible BOV, followed by a tune or a flash tune from ktuner.

I've posted pics below, leave suggestions on what I should do next!

Tnx for being a great community!

Honda Civic 10th gen I reached 10,000 Kilometers! Here are my thoughts on my car. 20190614_201404

Honda Civic 10th gen I reached 10,000 Kilometers! Here are my thoughts on my car. IMG_20190616_214413_070

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Hello, I'm just making this thread to share my experience with my 2018 Honda Civic hatchback lx (Canadian spec). I got the car last September as my first car, and it was the best purchase to date! At first I loved everything about it except that it has a CVT tranny.

At first I had my thoughts of trading in the car but many of you guys said no to getting a sport manual and said that dealerships love idiots such as myself atm. When the car was driven around the winter time it did have the "oil dilution" everyone was so scared of, mine had it especially bad. There was a quarter of a liter of gas mixed with the oil.

The oil dilution problem was fixed when I stopped by the dealer for the oil change notice. They fixed the oil dilution free of charge, thanks Kitchener Honda! Shortly after that I treated my car to a set if new wheels. Keeping the same OEM size of tire but going with a 16"×8.5" +20 offset for a more aggressive poke stance. I sold the factory Hankook Optimos tires and got michelin pilot sport A/S 3+ sized at 215/55/R16 93V on my new MST time attack rims sized at 16"×8,5" +20 offset. I still had the OEM rims with Michelin X-Ice on them as my winter set of wheels.

The total cost of new summer wheels where $3180 CAD. $900 bucks for the tires and $2280 for the rims. It was wheel worth it since the car can actually handle like a speed train on rails. I've won my fair share of races against cars that I thought would beat me but somehow I pulled out a win, but that's a topic for a different thread.

I'm saving and planning on doing a Intake, Exhaust and a possible BOV, followed by a tune or a flash tune from ktuner.

I've posted pics below, leave suggestions on what I should do next!

Tnx for being a great community!

20190614_201404.jpg

IMG_20190616_214413_070.jpg
Glad to hear you love your car, your wheel setup is bad ass! :thumbsup:

Valkyria90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Sedan 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Congrats bro!
I just reached 10.000KM myself last friday. I also drive with a CVT tranny, and I am also in the think tank about changing it for a manual.
This weekend I installed an oil catch can, front sway bar, PRL Short ram intake and got it tuned with Ktuner. People are really not overselling how much of a difference a tune can do for your car, even if you have a CVT.
My only concern is obviously longevity of the CVT with the tune (or stock for that matter). I am not beating much on my car, but a tune will put an extra strain on the powertrain no matter how nice you drive.

I decided eventually that it was worth the risk of a tune and I don't regret it. Ktuner has pushed the CVT test car pretty hard and it was still working fine 2 years later when they sold it for an Si.
Though my car has some oil dillution, I don't worry about the effect of it since I change my oil twice a year (every ~7000KM) myself anyway.

I would sugegst buying a Ktuner (or Hondata) loooong before concidering exhaust upgrades. It's way cheaper, way quicker/easier and way more effective than any other mod you can do to your car.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Absolutely do a tuner first, either Hondata or KTuner. It's the single most effective performance modification you can do to your car.

And please don't get a BOV. They don't play nice with MAF cars like ours.

Also, I feel like CVTs are way under appreciated. The only real drawback is that too much torque will kill them, but so long as you stay within safe ranges they're plenty powerful if you're not competitively racing it. And even still, check out @Myx's 1/4 mile numbers on his.

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love the wheel stance! Interested in your races that you won (Saving for another thread though). Just curious as to what gear did you race it in? D, S or L? Looking forward to seeing how your future mods work out for you, if you don't end up trading it in. ;)

Last edited:

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats bro!
I just reached 10.000KM myself last friday. I also drive with a CVT tranny, and I am also in the think tank about changing it for a manual.
This weekend I installed an oil catch can, front sway bar, PRL Short ram intake and got it tuned with Ktuner. People are really not overselling how much of a difference a tune can do for your car, even if you have a CVT.
My only concern is obviously longevity of the CVT with the tune (or stock for that matter). I am not beating much on my car, but a tune will put an extra strain on the powertrain no matter how nice you drive.

I decided eventually that it was worth the risk of a tune and I don't regret it. Ktuner has pushed the CVT test car pretty hard and it was still working fine 2 years later when they sold it for an Si.
Though my car has some oil dillution, I don't worry about the effect of it since I change my oil twice a year (every ~7000KM) myself anyway.

I would sugegst buying a Ktuner (or Hondata) loooong before concidering exhaust upgrades. It's way cheaper, way quicker/easier and way more effective than any other mod you can do to your car.
I know that k-tuner is the best bang for the buck mod, I cant decide between the 27won CAI or a Mishimoto SRI.

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely do a tuner first, either Hondata or KTuner. It's the single most effective performance modification you can do to your car.

And please don't get a BOV. They don't play nice with MAF cars like ours.

Also, I feel like CVTs are way under appreciated. The only real drawback is that too much torque will kill them, but so long as you stay within safe ranges they're plenty powerful if you're not competitively racing it. And even still, check out @Myx's 1/4 mile numbers on his.
What did you think is a good intake besides the cobra CAI, I heard that 27WON has awesome stuff for the civic, and Mishimoto has there open box SRI that makes the turbo run better at high rpms and you can hear the turbo more, Is that true??

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What did you think is a good intake besides the cobra CAI, I heard that 27WON has awesome stuff for the civic, and Mishimoto has there open box SRI that makes the turbo run better at high rpms and you can hear the turbo more, Is that true??
I have the Mishi. It's true you get a lot more turbo sound out of it. It heat soaks pretty badly at a dead stop in traffic but once you're moving it's as good or better than the stock airbox in terms of IATs. I wish I got the 27WON CAI, but it was a lot more $$$ at the end of the day. Plus the filter is even more enclosed than the Mishi so it's possibly even quieter.

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love the wheel stance! Interested in your races that you won (Saving for another thread though). Just curious as to what gear did you race it in? D, S or L? Looking forward to seeing how your future mods work out for you, if you don't end up trading it in. ;)
I can share the story's, I'm red light/drag races I shift to L-> brake boost->shift to S->between 80-95kms-> shift to drive at 130+ so far because of that technique, I've bet a 2014 Jetta 1.8T 6Spd, 2013 Jetta 2.5 DCT, 2016 Ford festia ST(by 1/4 car length ), 99 Dakota 5.9 R/T 2013-2014 Merc CLA 250 (long story), Chevy pursuit pushing 205WHP 6Spd, and a 2009 stock civic SI, along with a few more cars I cant remember right now. Funny part is there reactions where all similar, like "no way that's a stock civic" or "how much power u pushing" or even "what engine is that in ur civic?!" Makes me laugh when I see there face after saying its say stock and factory engine under the hood.

Reactions: Myx

OP
OP
RIC3HUNT3R

RIC3HUNT3R

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the Mishi. It's true you get a lot more turbo sound out of it. It heat soaks pretty badly at a dead stop in traffic but once you're moving it's as good or better than the stock airbox in terms of IATs. I wish I got the 27WON CAI, but it was a lot more $$$ at the end of the day. Plus the filter is even more enclosed than the Mishi so it's possibly even quieter.
I love how simple the mishinoto is to install, but the 27WON has better performance improvements in irl then the mishi, hence the increased price between the 2. I have yet to decided or even be able to afford both or any one of them atm, so we will see later this summer.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I can share the story's, I'm red light/drag races I shift to L-> brake boost->shift to S->between 80-95kms-> shift to drive at 130+ so far because of that technique, I've bet a 2014 Jetta 1.8T 6Spd, 2013 Jetta 2.5 DCT, 2016 Ford festia ST(by 1/4 car length ), 99 Dakota 5.9 R/T 2013-2014 Merc CLA 250 (long story), Chevy pursuit pushing 205WHP 6Spd, and a 2009 stock civic SI, along with a few more cars I cant remember right now. Funny part is there reactions where all similar, like "no way that's a stock civic" or "how much power u pushing" or even "what engine is that in ur civic?!" Makes me laugh when I see there face after saying its say stock and factory engine under the hood.
Be careful brake boosting. That's what will REALLY kill your CVT.

For intakes, I love my PRL Cobra. It sounds amazing, and is really the only one with any proven performance benefit.
Sponsored