I messed up guys :( ... Shifted from Neutral to 3rd gear at Red Light and pressed gas :(

goldKing

First Name
Kash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018
Country flag
So basically I was in Neutral at a red light..when it turned green I shifted to 3rd thinking it was 1st and gave gas and as you can imagine it started like jolting front and back several times and it didnt sound good. Then After i noticied i shifted to 1st but it stalled. Then I turned back on and shifted correctly and continued home...

Did I do alot of dmg to my beautiful Type R? :(
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So basically I was in Neutral at a red light..when it turned green I shifted to 3rd thinking it was 1st and gave gas and as you can imagine it started like jolting front and back several times and it didnt sound good. Then After i noticied i shifted to 1st but it stalled. Then I turned back on and shifted correctly and continued home...

No, HIGHLY UNLIKELY -- just to your Ego :drive:

Anyone who has not done that a few time when driving a stick for a few years, does not drive very much.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

When I went to test drive a Focus RS, the salesman asked to drive it as well since he hadn't driven one before (outside of pulling one up for a test drive) and was just learning stick (I was as well). He wasn't flat out launching it, but was going pretty high in the rev range. I remember him going into gear which looked like 3rd, but wasn't sure. Then it started lugging (which confirmed 3rd more or less for me). He turned to me and asked "it's in 1st gear right?". I just looked at him and replied, "I'm pretty sure you're in 3rd...".

I ended up not liking the RS mainly for it's interior setup, seating position, and it felt really cluster phobic and dark inside. Rear seat space was also lacking. When I sat in the Type R, all of that basically changed, the interior let in more outside light, the seating position was much better, and the interior seemed much more to my liking. I feel bad for whoever did get that RS. He revved it out pretty high and did a few pulls. Not sure how that will affect break in... At best nothing negative, at worst, fucked an engine in a way that wouldn't be seen until later.

Edit: to answer your question OP, I doubt you did any damage to the car.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
None, no worries.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Full disclosure...when I picked mine up this week it was stored inside because of crap weather. They opened the door to let me out and as I drove it out it felt a little draggy. Turns out I had put in third gear! It didn't die, didn't lurch or buck, but you could tell it wasn't first gear. I've driven stick shift cars since 1966! I still have three manual transmission cars counting the Type R. My problem was the Type R has a shorter throw shift lever than even my 911 and I thought it was in first...Nope. That will not happen again. I swear I read somewhere that these cars have some sort of anti-stall system for rookie shifters. Am I nutz?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I had manual cars for over 25 years and did the same thing a few times. Sure it bucked like a bronco but your car and transmission will be just fine. No harm. Just try not to do that too often.:)

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
...and another thing from above: Is there a break-in procedure for these cars? Didn't see anything in the Op. Manual, but maybe I missed it.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry...one more thing...pretty sure there is an indication of what gear you're in on the drivers information part of dash. Course I didn't know that first time I drove it!:rolleyes:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
...and another thing from above: Is there a break-in procedure for these cars? Didn't see anything in the Op. Manual, but maybe I missed it.
It’s in there.

In addition:
  • During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as to not damage the engine or powertrain.
  • Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
There's definitely a lot of controversy over that one. Honda's general recommendation is to take it easy for the first 600 miles on any of their cars. Not sure whether that really applies to the Type R or not. Dealership said they were told it didn't need it. I figured it couldn't hurt and stayed below 4k rpm for the first 600 miles. You're probably fine either way.

Sorry...one more thing...pretty sure there is an indication of what gear you're in on the drivers information part of dash. Course I didn't know that first time I drove it!:rolleyes:
The gear indicator only shows the gear when the car is moving. Kind of weird. I guess there must not be a sensor for it and it's just based on speed/rpm.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
There's definitely a lot of controversy over that one. Honda's general recommendation is to take it easy for the first 600 miles on any of their cars. Not sure whether that really applies to the Type R or not. Dealership said they were told it didn't need it. I figured it couldn't hurt and stayed below 4k rpm for the first 600 miles. You're probably fine either way.

The gear indicator only shows the gear when the car is moving. Kind of weird. I guess there must not be a sensor for it and it's just based on speed/rpm.
Dealers can say a lot of things. Personally I’d trust the manual more than the dealer. That’s me though.

As for the gear sensor, mine only appears after I get the car into gear. There is a sensor in it otherwise rev match wouldn’t work.rev match also only engages after you’ve selected a gear.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Dealers can say a lot of things. Personally I’d trust the manual more than the dealer. That’s me though.

As for the gear sensor, mine only appears after I get the car into gear. There is a sensor in it otherwise rev match wouldn’t work.rev match also only engages after you’ve selected a gear.
I agree.

Hadn't thought of the need for a sensor for rev match. There goes that theory. Mine really doesn't show gear when the car is at a stop though. Is that not normal?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I agree.

Hadn't thought of the need for a sensor for rev match. There goes that theory. Mine really doesn't show gear when the car is at a stop though. Is that not normal?
The best "sensor" as to what gear you are in, or what gear you should be in, is YOU and your Ears and other feedback to your body.

Rather than trying to drive the car, with the Instruments, learn to become "ONE WITH THE CAR", and make it an extension of you (yes, sounds corny, but it';s true)

While the "Instruments" may help you, as a new Manual Gearbox driver, to figure out what you should be doing, after a time, it becomes 2nd nature, and muscle memory takes over.
Soon you will not consciously be thinking about what gear you should be in, you will just do it automatically, based on your senses of your surrounds, and what the car is telling you.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The best "sensor" as to what gear you are in, or what gear you should be in, is YOU and your Ears and other feedback to your body.

Rather than trying to drive the car, with the Instruments, learn to become "ONE WITH THE CAR", and make it an extension of you (yes, sounds corny, but it';s true)

While the "Instruments" may help you, as a new Manual Gearbox driver, to figure out what you should be doing, after a time, it becomes 2nd nature, and muscle memory takes over.
Soon you will not consciously be thinking about what gear you should be in, you will just do it automatically, based on your senses of your surrounds, and what the car is telling you.
^^^This
Sponsored