I just signed a new lease on a new Civic hatchback Sport Touring.

Honda90210

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
I recently signed a new lease on a 2020 Civic hatchback Sport Touring. I've posted in other forums and usually get trolled by other car buffs, especially BMW snobs who like to brag about how they got into a more expensive car for a lesser rate when in reality their leasing or financing a loaner or older model.
I feel like I got a fair deal in my region to lease a new car.
Included is oil & tire, anti theft.

2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Hatchback Auto
MSRP: $29780
Monthly Payment: $405
Drive-Off Amount: $405
0 Down
Months:36
Annual Mileage:12,500

Is this a decent deal?

Honda Civic 10th gen I just signed a new lease on a new Civic hatchback Sport Touring. nked82616224_10157068448496925_1966964415907495936_n_li_68677a1d1c013abf0021bfea1837f6ba305af586
Sponsored

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With zero down, that sounds pretty fair. Enjoy your new ride!

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I can't personally own a red car but yours looks really nice in the pictures! What mpg are you getting and do you run regular or premium grade gas?
....Also, does your car have a temporary spare tire?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I can't personally own a red car but yours looks really nice in the pictures! What mpg are you getting and do you run regular or premium grade gas?
....Also, does your car have a temporary spare tire?
These cars were engineered to run on 87 octane anything other than that your pretty much wasting your money for an extra 1-3 mpg more (potentially not always guaranteed), in my opinion. The only cars that are designed for premium fuel is the Si and Type R, or any of them that are tuned. Straight out the dealer they have 87 octane in them

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
These cars were engineered to run on 87 octane anything other than that your pretty much wasting your money for an extra 1-3 mpg more (potentially not always guaranteed), in my opinion. The only cars that are designed for premium fuel is the Si and Type R, or any of them that are tuned. Straight out the dealer they have 87 octane in them
... I want a car that can run on regular but I find it somewhat strange that Honda website states that Regular Unleaded is the "required" fuel but (Premium Recommended)

https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hatchback/specs-features-trim-comparison

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
... I want a car that can run on regular but I find it somewhat strange that Honda website states that Regular Unleaded is the "required" fuel but (Premium Recommended)

https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hatchback/specs-features-trim-comparison
They’ve been recommending premium fuel for the longest. I feel like all car manufacturers say premium fuel recommended now a days. These cars can run premium, but why put premium in a car that recommends and not requires it (but then again it’s your car so personal choice is up to the owner). Your car won’t fully optimize premium unless it’s a Si, Type R, or tuned. Other than that premium in a “regular required” car you’ll only see a small marginal benefit. The reason the Si requires premium is because it’s tuned slightly more aggressively than the other civic models from the factory so because of that premium is required to avoid pre-ignition and knock in the cylinder. When someone buys an Si you know your paying for performance so premium fuel is the obvious decision, where as the other civic models are designed more for the average car consumer and to keep the cost of ownership down they require regular fuel

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
<> jayy_swish <> I totally agree with what you said and appreciate your input. I had read somewhere that premium gas may come to an end in our near future. True or not, I don't know. Even though running premium in a Civic may not actually costs a lot more per fill up or 12k miles yearly, I still like just paying for regular grade much better. In my area regular is around $2.00/gal vs premium @ $2.50/gal

@32 mpg/384 miles x 12 gal/$2.00 = $24.00
(or @37 mpg/444 miles) vs premium at $2.50/gal = $30.00
so approx. $6.00 more per tank based on 12 gal fill up
or approx. $187.50 more per year @ 32 mpg based on 12k miles / 375 gals
<> and $162.00 more per year @ 37 mpg based on 12k miles / 324 gals

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
<> jayy_swish <> I totally agree with what you said and appreciate your input. I had read somewhere that premium gas may come to an end in our near future. True or not, I don't know. Even though running premium in a Civic may not actually costs a lot more per fill up or 12k miles yearly, I still like just paying for regular grade much better. In my area regular is around $2.00/gal vs premium @ $2.50/gal

Sadly I wish gas prices were that low in CA. In Los Angeles County the gas prices on avg. right now are...
Regular: $3.15-3.20
Premium: $3.49-3.69
E85: $2.59-2.89

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I'll spend the money to put higher quality fuel into my car and clog up my engine with less crap. In the long term it makes a difference in terms of the gunk that accumulates because there are more impurities in a lower grade. I bought this car brand new and plan to put in the highest grade indefinitely.

But it's everyone's choice! To some this down-the-road maintenance may be worth saving the $160ish a year. Given my 20k miles in 6 months, I will spend about $500 more in premium fuel over the whole year. I still think it's worth it.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll spend the money to put higher quality fuel into my car and clog up my engine with less crap. In the long term it makes a difference in terms of the gunk that accumulates because there are more impurities in a lower grade. I bought this car brand new and plan to put in the highest grade indefinitely.

But it's everyone's choice! To some this down-the-road maintenance may be worth saving the $160ish a year. Given my 20k miles in 6 months, I will spend about $500 more in premium fuel over the whole year. I still think it's worth it.
A good majority of people that buy civics don’t know much about cars they buy it for the Honda reliability and what not. Of course I agree with you only buy fuel from reputable gas stations 1,000%. But if your at a good gas station the gas quality and additives remains the same minus the octane rating. These cars are GDI meaning they dump fuel directly into the cylinder for combustion so you will not get much carbon build up on valves which leaves to sticky valves and problems. The gunk will still get to the valves though through your PCV system. Which if any of you don’t know, sometimes unburnt gas and oil slip (known as blow by) through the piston rings and are in the crankcase creating a pressure where there shouldn’t be. A car has a PCV system to route that back into the intake to re-burned the blow by in the next combustion cycle of the engine (for emission purposes). The problem with that? That’s the stuff gunking up your engine. So I recommend an oil catch can to filter out that gunk and to keep your valves clean. The reason Honda doesn’t include oil catch cans? Because after 1,000miles or so you have to check the catch can and drain it so it doesn’t overflow and YES you will see oil in it (if you take a sniff you will smell a nasty gas and oil mixture)! So back to the question why Honda doesn’t include it? A few simple reasons.

1. Most people that buy cars don’t know much about cars and don’t always follow up on maintenance on their own. Adding a catch can is another maintenance added that consumers don’t really need because many of them don’t know about it
2. COST! If you look at our PCV system in these vehicles it’s literally a rubber tube. Which is what $0.50 to make? Compared to a catch can (which prices vary depending on what brand you get and the layout of the vehicle) in this case it’s about $30-150...the high end being paying more for name brand than the item itself.

This is a direct injection engine problem, not just Honda so don’t go hating Honda. These are ALL direct injection vehicles. Older vehicles were port injected meaning it squirt the gas in the intake near the valves. The valves would get doused in gas and would clean the gunk right off. Some newer cars have both a directed injection and port injection and would switch between the two to keep the valves from gunking up, but again that’s added cost and to be competitive in a automotive market you have to have a good car that’s reliable and an affordable price for the typical average consumer. Many wouldn’t buy a Civic if the price tag was $30k or $40k, hence why Honda and other manufacturers that compete with Honda near its price range does not implement these changes.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Octane has literally nothing to do with "quality". The "regular" "midgrade" "premium" is 100% marketing to get people like you buying more expensive gas that they don't need.

That being said, unlike other trims, the Sports have a fuel map that makes slightly more horsepower if it's running on 93.
Then how does it make more horsepower...

That would mean it combusts better. Which means less sh#t in my gas. Not sure where you're going with this.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like if you think it's a waste, why not let idiots like me just keep pissing the money away? It's a personal preference. Even if it truly does not do anything, this is how I feel about it and doubt I would ever put regular in a car I care about. Beater? Screw it. This car is my baby right now and I intend on spending a little more to make sure it stays nice for a long time.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Then how does it make more horsepower...

That would mean it combusts better. Which means less sh#t in my gas. Not sure where you're going with this.
Octane rating rates the fuel for how much compression it can endure before pre-ignition & knock, it does not measure impurities in the fuel itself. Premium fuel makes more horsepower because you advance the timing of the engine to combust earlier in the engine stroke resulting the piston being pushed down harder and with more force and makes more hp. So you are correct that premium fuel adds more horsepower if the vehicle even has the fuel map for it, but quality of fuel only matters if you go to a name brand gas station than a shady gas station. As long as it has “top tier” on the pump then it’s certified to meet the fuel standard. Not trying to convince you to change to lower octane or argue with you over fuel (cause as you say it doesn’t matter what I say it’s still your car and you do what you please with it), only here to educate. Here is a video from a popular automotive YouTube ChrisFix that explains it more in-depth.

Last edited:

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I went ahead and did some research once I had a minute. Sue me for not looking this up since I started driving... Just going off what everyone has told me for my entire life.

Higher octane provides more compression. More power if your engine / map can handle it. Mostly has to do with knock. Doesn't matter much day to day for our cars. However, if the manual and gas cap both recommend premium, why would you not? At that point it Honda is telling you they have designed the car to be run on 91 or better (Sport, ST, CTR). So even though I may have been off in terms of benefits, I would think we should probably use our cars how Honda designed them right?

My remaining question, though, is how does it affect the leftovers. Like the teensy tiny amounts that don't combust, and build up on your engine over time. Wouldn't this be *ever so slightly* reduced if the gas is compressing more and therefore combusting more, providing more force inside the cylinder?
Sponsored