I drove my CTR 700 miles home

foxxdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#0817 CTR
The following wall of text will be an average guy with average knowledge telling you what he thinks of the new CTR.

I'll preface all of this by saying that I am by no means a professional, just another guy that really wanted a CTR. I've also never really owned a "nice" car before this (coming from a VW rabbit, yes a rabbit. It's basically a crappy golf), so I'll probably be somewhat clueless as what to expect, and probably bias. Also I'm not trying to post any "new" information, just my own 2 cents. I drove my #0817 CTR 700 miles home through basically everything it'll go through except a track and snow. I drove back roads, highways, stop-and-go traffic, cities, construction, flat ground, mountains, slight rain, torrential downpour, day, and night. I haven't bee able to tinker with everything just yet, but this is what I think of the car so far.

Body:
  • My CTR is Black, and without really looking at the other civics as an example, I was expecting just a normal gloss black. Instead I was surprised to see that it had some metallic in the paint that made it sparkle brilliantly. Definitely looks super sharp. Yes, it picks up a lot of dust. No, I don't worry about it
  • The rear end is pretty large I feel like, and pushing at the side of the panels the vents are attached to they seem to move quite easily. I'm not really concerned.
  • The spoiler does a wobble dance every time you close the trunk.
  • These tires want to pick up everything. I could probably eat food off of the road after these tires have driven over it. I was not planning on paint protection for the whole car, but getting something for the areas around the wheels seems pretty necessary now .
  • The spoiler actually doesn't obstruct any view out of the rear mirror. but holy moly does the housing for the wiper take up a lot of space. I got used to it, but that definitely blocks a good chunk of visibility.
Driving:
  • It handled incredibly well on basically everything except the heavy rain, which I didn't expect it to be fantastic anyway. It was completely straight on the highways, and felt awesome to drive around the back roads
  • Between the driving modes, the default sport mode is definitely the right default. A weird quirk I found was that if you are in cruising speed in sport, and change into comfort, you will actually slow down. Likewise if you're cruising in comfort, and switch to sport, you will begin to accelerate without any change.
  • If you're in very slow traffic, I had pretty bad interior vibration (passenger side I think) in first gear right around 1500 rpm. again, crawling speed that I'll probably never have to deal with again. There was also some vibration at highway speed, but it wasn't as noticeable.
  • Hello gas stations. I was not buying this car to get great mileage and I was tinkering with driving styles, gears, and RPMs the whole way back, but gas mileage seemed a little low compared to the estimated average. I'm sure once I make good use of comfort / cruise control it'll be around where it should be.
  • Maybe I just didn't know what to expect, but the suspension actually felt really good. I was ready for a bumpy "stiff" ride home, but unless you hit a pretty big bump the whole ride home felt really smooth.
  • Electronic parking break. Why is this a thing?
Interior:
  • I am so glad I did not buy a FoRS. This interior feels fantastic. The seats are actually super comfortable, the sound system sounds great.
  • For everyone complaining that the volume was on the touch screen and not a knob, I think I used it once to try it. The rest of the trip I used the volume controls on the wheel. problem solved.
  • The USB port in the center console seems to be pretty low power. I was trying to charge my phone through it and it was going pretty slow.
Overall:
I love this car. Yes there are probably some issues with it, yes some other cars probably do certain things better, yes there are probably some aspects to improve on, but this is a seriously fun car and I am so happy that I was fortunate enough to get one. I can try to answer any specific questions you might have, if I missed anything you're interested in hearing about. To all of you waiting to pick up your CTR, the wait will be completely worth it. To all of you still looking for one, I wish you the best of luck. If anyone finds themselves in the Charlotte NC area, let's meet up. See you all on the road!
Sponsored

Rouleau15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic si
Congrats. Still waiting on mine to show up to the dealership where I work. We are getting a black one also. Enjoy it.

SalemTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own: ‘17 PMM CTR, 2013 White Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Can you describe specifically which part of the body around the wheels you would recommend getting covered with PPF. I plan to have my car done before I drive it 150 miles home. Thx.

OP
OP

foxxdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#0817 CTR
Can you describe specifically which part of the body around the wheels you would recommend getting covered with PPF. I plan to have my car done before I drive it 150 miles home. Thx.
I'm not entirely sure what the options are for applicable areas, but I saw the most dirt from the rear wheel well to the back bumper. I'm probably looking at at least the wheel well areas, and maybe a partial front bumper for highway debris.

Judd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Coupe, Type R
You picked it up in Buffalo yesterday right? Was great meeting you, the black looked beautiful. Enjoy the car!

OP
OP

foxxdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#0817 CTR
You picked it up in Buffalo yesterday right? Was great meeting you, the black looked beautiful. Enjoy the car!
That's me! The drive was great, you're going to love this car when yours gets in. Hoping for your PMM!

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
Driving
  • Between the driving modes, the default sport mode is definitely the right default. A weird quirk I found was that if you are in cruising speed in sport, and change into comfort, you will actually slow down. Likewise if you're cruising in comfort, and switch to sport, you will begin to accelerate without any change.
I'm guessing because comfort and sport have different throttle mappings, so when you go to comfort from sport, your throttle actually close a bit.

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
The following wall of text will be an average guy with average knowledge telling you what he thinks of the new CTR.

I'll preface all of this by saying that I am by no means a professional, just another guy that really wanted a CTR. I've also never really owned a "nice" car before this (coming from a VW rabbit, yes a rabbit. It's basically a crappy golf), so I'll probably be somewhat clueless as what to expect, and probably bias. Also I'm not trying to post any "new" information, just my own 2 cents. I drove my #0817 CTR 700 miles home through basically everything it'll go through except a track and snow. I drove back roads, highways, stop-and-go traffic, cities, construction, flat ground, mountains, slight rain, torrential downpour, day, and night. I haven't bee able to tinker with everything just yet, but this is what I think of the car so far.

Body:
  • My CTR is Black, and without really looking at the other civics as an example, I was expecting just a normal gloss black. Instead I was surprised to see that it had some metallic in the paint that made it sparkle brilliantly. Definitely looks super sharp. Yes, it picks up a lot of dust. No, I don't worry about it
  • The rear end is pretty large I feel like, and pushing at the side of the panels the vents are attached to they seem to move quite easily. I'm not really concerned.
  • The spoiler does a wobble dance every time you close the trunk.
  • These tires want to pick up everything. I could probably eat food off of the road after these tires have driven over it. I was not planning on paint protection for the whole car, but getting something for the areas around the wheels seems pretty necessary now .
  • The spoiler actually doesn't obstruct any view out of the rear mirror. but holy moly does the housing for the wiper take up a lot of space. I got used to it, but that definitely blocks a good chunk of visibility.
Driving:
  • It handled incredibly well on basically everything except the heavy rain, which I didn't expect it to be fantastic anyway. It was completely straight on the highways, and felt awesome to drive around the back roads
  • If you're in very slow traffic, I had pretty bad interior vibration (passenger side I think) in first gear right around 1500 rpm. again, crawling speed that I'll probably never have to deal with again. There was also some vibration at highway speed, but it wasn't as noticeable.
  • Hello gas stations. I was not buying this car to get great mileage and I was tinkering with driving styles, gears, and RPMs the whole way back, but gas mileage seemed a little low compared to the estimated average. I'm sure once I make good use of comfort / cruise control it'll be around where it should be.
  • Maybe I just didn't know what to expect, but the suspension actually felt really good. I was ready for a bumpy "stiff" ride home, but unless you hit a pretty big bump the whole ride home felt really smooth.
  • Electronic parking break. Why is this a thing?
Interior:
  • I am so glad I did not buy a FoRS. This interior feels fantastic. The seats are actually super comfortable, the sound system sounds great.
  • For everyone complaining that the volume was on the touch screen and not a knob, I think I used it once to try it. The rest of the trip I used the volume controls on the wheel. problem solved.
  • The USB port in the center console seems to be pretty low power. I was trying to charge my phone through it and it was going pretty slow.
Overall:
I love this car. Yes there are probably some issues with it, yes some other cars probably do certain things better, yes there are probably some aspects to improve on, but this is a seriously fun car and I am so happy that I was fortunate enough to get one. I can try to answer any specific questions you might have, if I missed anything you're interested in hearing about. To all of you waiting to pick up your CTR, the wait will be completely worth it. To all of you still looking for one, I wish you the best of luck. If anyone finds themselves in the Charlotte NC area, let's meet up. See you all on the road!
Cool and excellent review! Re: charging ports. My 2014 Si had a USB & HDMI port. Does your Type R come with both as well?

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
Thanks for the review. I must say, not having the volume knob on the radio sucks! I hate that touchscreens are the "in" thing. Turning vol up and down in an instance is always needed. But small quirk to deal with.
I think you'll see mpg improve a bit after about 1000-2000 miles (assuming normal everyday driving style, not 7000 rpm shifts lol). Let the engine break in and it should improve a tad.

OP
OP

foxxdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#0817 CTR
Cool and excellent review! Re: charging ports. My 2014 Si had a USB & HDMI port. Does your Type R come with both as well?
TBH, I'm not exactly sure about elsewhere on the car, but the center console only had one USB port, which is the one I used and no HDMI.
Sponsored