I bought new tires, still not balanced after 2 attempts.

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Polished Metal
Country flag
I got the new Goodyear Eagle Exilerate tires for my 2017 Civic hatchback sport touring. I got the tires mounted and balanced at a Mr. tire which got good reviews. I am new to the Delaware area so idk what shops are legit and which ones are not. So I get the tires mounted and balanced. I leave and right when I hit 47 whomp whomp whomp whomp whomp. The faster I went the worse it got. But I had plans that afternoon so I couldn't go back. I went back today to the same place and I different tech figured out the front two were out of balance. It's mostly cabin vibration in getting which I thought would mean the back tires were out of balance. So I left and started driving. It definitely felt better. However once I got to a smooth road, while it wasn't as bad whomp whomp whomp whomp whomp whomp. I just went out at midnight to really test it and it's quite obvious they are not balanced perfectly. They are close but close is only good enough in horshoes and hand granades. I do not want these tires I spend almost $700 on ware uneavenly.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Do I go back a third time to the same place or find a better place? But then I'd get charged. Or do I just take it to Honda?
Sponsored

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
Their wheel balancer must have a digital readout that indicates if the wheel still requires additional weights. I don't see how any tech would remove the wheel from the balancer without it reading "0". If they didn't re-check the rear, have them do that. Maybe go on a road test with one of their techs.

Are you using the stock wheels? If no, did your aftermarket wheels require hubcentric spacers that they didn't put back on?
When was the last time you had the suspension inspected?

OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Their wheel balancer must have a digital readout that indicates if the wheel still requires additional weights. I don't see how any tech would remove the wheel from the balancer without it reading "0". If they didn't re-check the rear, have them do that. Maybe go on a road test with one of their techs.

Are you using the stock wheels? If no, did your aftermarket wheels require hubcentric spacers that they didn't put back on?
When was the last time you had the suspension inspected?
I'm using the stock wheels. Suspension should be fine. It's the weridest thing.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'm running into a similar issue. I got Enkei from TireRack and they mounted and balanced. All was good until this weekend when one of the weights fell of. Took it in yesterday morning to a local tire shop and they said it was done super odd by TR so they fixed it, went on the highway all seemed relatively good. Get on the highway today and nope, better than it was but still off. I'm also not familiar with a lot of shops in my area so i'm too struggling with where to take it next.

OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I took my car to Dunrite tire II today. I explained to them where I had the tires mounted and balanced at and the fact that they were not balanced property the first time so I had them rebalance them again this time a different tech. Still not balanced. I went to Dunrite tire II this morning and the guy came out and I explained what happened. He took one look at the wheel and was like you can't center balance these like this. They should know better then that. So he took the car back rebalanced all of them. The front right was off by 1.7 ounces.

How Mr tire after balancing them twice still had them off tht much is beyond me.

Anyway I got in the car started driving and the got to highway speeds. Butter smooth. Perfect balance.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I just took my car out for another test. This time late at night so no one's on the roads. If I'm just driving normally they are fine. Smooth as butter. Even driving bat a constant 90 mph the car feels balanced.

My new issue is however under heavy acceleration starting past 68 mph the whole car shutters. Once off the gas the shuttering stops. It's not severe shutter but enough to notice it. I don't know what else it could be. I usually feel comfortable accelerating well past 100 but now it get hairy past 90 mph. Stearing gets really floaty when the shutter starts. Not a comforting feeling.
Sponsored