I am sure it has been asked before but... potential buyer questions, again!

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I always overlook an Si for a normal Civic, do not get me wrong - the subtle things are the reason I would love an Si and am still considering!
Well, I may be the only one, but I’ll admit I chose the Si coupe over the Type R solely based off cosmetics (also our Cdn Sis come with full LED headlights). I prefer the 2 doors and it’s sleeker lower look. Really don’t need or want the Rs seductive performance bump living in congested Toronto. There really are few places, aside from highways to open it up, and the same with my Si, very hard to find its limits living here. Too many stop lights with grid-like roads and generally junk for cruising. But if the R came in coupe form, then it would be in my garage right now instead of the Si. I’m a sucker for coupes.
Also, I think it looks anything but a normal civic. I’ve been stopped many times by acquaintances and complete strangers while behind the wheel (ha many times at McDonald’s lots) Some admirers even had to ask what car it was. They were totally oblivious it was a “civic”. I’d say I get almost the same public reactions to my Si as do Type R owners, based on the comments R owners have made in these forums. Both the R and Si sorta have that exotic look
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I may be the only one, but I’ll admit I chose the Si coupe over the Type R solely based off cosmetics
What’s funny is that before I drove a CTR, i said the same thing. I did not like the look of the CTR. I’d only seen it in white in person. Not knocking white...just somehow looked more “rice boy” to me. Then I had a salesman at Carmax convince me to drive one. Told me “You won’t care what it looks like once you drive it.” He wasn’t wrong. Once I saw it PMM, I knew I had to have it. Looks and fun! Somehow the dark gray looks more subdued.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
What’s funny is that before I drove a CTR, i said the same thing. I did not like the look of the CTR. I’d only seen it in white in person. Not knocking white...just somehow looked more “rice boy” to me. Then I had a salesman at Carmax convince me to drive one. Told me “You won’t care what it looks like once you drive it.” He wasn’t wrong. Once I saw it PMM, I knew I had to have it. Looks and fun! Somehow the dark gray looks more subdued.
I LOVE the boy racer, over the top, exciting styling of your guys Type R. The more the better in my eyes. That wing is the cherry on top...totally appropriate styling for this cars capabilities. I can not understand why so many negative and polarizing reactions to it. I think many people who knock it for its ricer look are actually pretty envious of the car, or have no idea or appreciation of what performance entails and requires.
But then, it is a Japanese styled car. The reserved Germans I don’t think would have gone to such lengths

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Maintenance and reliability nightmare. I disagree that it's a better choice. Also is same money or more isn't it?
It is about the same money in Canada, give or take a few thousands. I just meant for a daily commuter, DSG and a lot more of a sleeper (a total sleeper, actually). As many have alluded to, you would barely take a second look if you saw a Golf R on the roads as it looks just like a normal Golf.

Well, I may be the only one, but I’ll admit I chose the Si coupe over the Type R solely based off cosmetics (also our Cdn Sis come with full LED headlights). I prefer the 2 doors and it’s sleeker lower look. Really don’t need or want the Rs seductive performance bump living in congested Toronto. There really are few places, aside from highways to open it up, and the same with my Si, very hard to find its limits living here. Too many stop lights with grid-like roads and generally junk for cruising. But if the R came in coupe form, then it would be in my garage right now instead of the Si. I’m a sucker for coupes.
Also, I think it looks anything but a normal civic. I’ve been stopped many times by acquaintances and complete strangers while behind the wheel (ha many times at McDonald’s lots) Some admirers even had to ask what car it was. They were totally oblivious it was a “civic”. I’d say I get almost the same public reactions to my Si as do Type R owners, based on the comments R owners have made in these forums. Both the R and Si sorta have that exotic look
Yeah, even for day to day I know I cannot unlock the true potential of the Type R but being in the GTA, there are plenty of times I could appreciate the pull when needing to overtake or just let loose a bit for the 5% of time I am driving it and that might be good enough for me. After driving a lot of cars (with turbo engines and exceeding the 250HP+), I just know there are a few times when the additional 100HP will be useful but whether or not it is justified to pay the premium is TBD. :)

I love the Coupe look too although the rear tail lights take a bit to get used to... Unfortunately rear space could be important and so having a Coupe may rule out that...

I LOVE the boy racer, over the top, exciting styling of your guys Type R. The more the better in my eyes. That wing is the cherry on top...totally appropriate styling for this cars capabilities. I can not understand why so many negative and polarizing reactions to it. I think many people who knock it for its ricer look are actually pretty envious of the car, or have no idea or appreciation of what performance entails and requires.
But then, it is a Japanese styled car. The reserved Germans I don’t think would have gone to such lengths
It might be over styled a tad bit but I do also appreciate some change in the auto industry. I always loved Lexus for the same reason although they simply do not drive as well.

It seems like a lot of people online have no opinions and just generally follow what others say. Imagine if all the car review sites mentioned how nice the car looks or did not mention the looks at all, how much of the online community would actually comment on a car they likely have not yet seen in person! Now all that said, I can also appreciate the folks who have seen the car in person and find it distasteful but saying it looks like a car someone who is 40+ could not drive as I have seen before is simply ridiculous!

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Easy decision: Since your winters are rough, a High HP FWD vehicle is not for you. If you are truly into a new car, make the sensible choice for the one that can operate all year around in your weather conditions.
There's plenty of people on this forum that live in places with harsh winters that are driving their CTR year round. As long as you replace the stock tires and don't drive like an idiot, its no different than any other car. You are on a civic Type R forum, nobody here is interested in sensible choices. Otherwise we would all be driving used toyota camrys from the 90s.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
There's plenty of people on this forum that live in places with harsh winters that are driving their CTR year round. As long as you replace the stock tires and don't drive like an idiot, its no different than any other car. You are on a civic Type R forum, nobody here is interested in sensible choices. Otherwise we would all be driving used toyota camrys from the 90s.
Thanks for the reply. My recommendation to the OP still stands, since you already have the vehicle in question.

Tone Loc

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #18323
Country flag
1) Yes, brake squeal can and will happen in the cold especially under DD or commute duty. Inevitable and not a big deal. Once the brakes are warmed up after a few "spirited" stops, the issue goes away.

2) It’s nothing that regular washing won't fix.

3) On the roads of the GTA, if you are planning to run the stock wheel/tire combo I would suggest getting Honda’s tire/rim protection insurance. The potholes on some of the highways here are terrible, and I've had my fair share of butt-puckering moments. I run 18s with a 45 sidewall for winter duty, and the car feels less direct in turns. For the winter, I’d rather have peace of mind than track-level performance especially for daily driving so I don’t mind. If I were to stay in the GTA I would definitely spend money on 18s with taller sidewalls for summer duty, but I am moving back to BC soon where the roads are much better so I will keep the stock setup for now.

4) I can't speak to other people's experiences it but hasn't happened to me. R-18323 with a July 2018 build date.

5) The car isn't that low. Due to the smoothness of the aero panels underneath there is actually similar ground clearance to my previous car, a 2011 Acura TSX. I don't miss the heated seats, since the Type R seats are cloth they don't get cold much, if it all. Trust me, if a pampered Vancouver boy like me can make it through a Toronto winter without missing heated seats, you won’t either. That being said, I've never been big on "creature comforts" as the cars I had before my TSX were very spartan; a 1996 Integra GSR and before that, a 1986 Corolla GTS. As long as I can listen to my own music via USB/Bluetooth/Carplay (the R has all of these), that’s enough for amenities as far as I’m concerned.

6) Purchased my R from Number 7 Honda in Vaughan for MSRP. No extras, no add-ons. I don't believe that they will be selling for less than that. They were able to give me a good deal on my trade in, however. The only scenario where I think you might pay less than MSRP is if there happens to be both 2019s and 2018s on the lot....

FYI I daily my R and had the opportunity to drive her in the snow, freezing rain, slush etc. Yes it is "high powered" but FWD + LSD makes it very tame on the roads as long as you have proper winter tires. Just leave the traction control on and drive sensibly. I have had her rust proofed and wash her regularly to minimize the risk of corrosion, however. To be honest my big worry when dailying my R are the quality (or lack thereof) of the drivers here in the GTA. This is my first brand new car and I get anxious sometimes. But then I remind myself that I purchased full replacement coverage for a reason lol.

My opinion: buy it and drive it! Life’s too short to drive boring cars. At the end of the day it is a Civic hatchback and is completely dailyable….

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
1) Yes, brake squeal can and will happen in the cold especially under DD or commute duty. Inevitable and not a big deal. Once the brakes are warmed up after a few "spirited" stops, the issue goes away.

2) It’s nothing that regular washing won't fix.

3) On the roads of the GTA, if you are planning to run the stock wheel/tire combo I would suggest getting Honda’s tire/rim protection insurance. The potholes on some of the highways here are terrible, and I've had my fair share of butt-puckering moments. I run 18s with a 45 sidewall for winter duty, and the car feels less direct in turns. For the winter, I’d rather have peace of mind than track-level performance especially for daily driving so I don’t mind. If I were to stay in the GTA I would definitely spend money on 18s with taller sidewalls for summer duty, but I am moving back to BC soon where the roads are much better so I will keep the stock setup for now.

4) I can't speak to other people's experiences it but hasn't happened to me. R-18323 with a July 2018 build date.

5) The car isn't that low. Due to the smoothness of the aero panels underneath there is actually similar ground clearance to my previous car, a 2011 Acura TSX. I don't miss the heated seats, since the Type R seats are cloth they don't get cold much, if it all. Trust me, if a pampered Vancouver boy like me can make it through a Toronto winter without missing heated seats, you won’t either. That being said, I've never been big on "creature comforts" as the cars I had before my TSX were very spartan; a 1996 Integra GSR and before that, a 1986 Corolla GTS. As long as I can listen to my own music via USB/Bluetooth/Carplay (the R has all of these), that’s enough for amenities as far as I’m concerned.

6) Purchased my R from Number 7 Honda in Vaughan for MSRP. No extras, no add-ons. I don't believe that they will be selling for less than that. They were able to give me a good deal on my trade in, however. The only scenario where I think you might pay less than MSRP is if there happens to be both 2019s and 2018s on the lot....

FYI I daily my R and had the opportunity to drive her in the snow, freezing rain, slush etc. Yes it is "high powered" but FWD + LSD makes it very tame on the roads as long as you have proper winter tires. Just leave the traction control on and drive sensibly. I have had her rust proofed and wash her regularly to minimize the risk of corrosion, however. To be honest my big worry when dailying my R are the quality (or lack thereof) of the drivers here in the GTA. This is my first brand new car and I get anxious sometimes. But then I remind myself that I purchased full replacement coverage for a reason lol.

My opinion: buy it and drive it! Life’s too short to drive boring cars. At the end of the day it is a Civic hatchback and is completely dailyable….
Thanks for your response, fellow GTA'er! Some thoughts reading your reply... How is the road noise in the car? Can you hear yourself talk when driving?

I cannot speak to other driver's ability or lack of but that would not concern me on the road, what does are parking lots and leaving my car unattended and left to defend itself against people with no care of other people's property (e.g. door dings, etc.)!

How bad do the potholes have to be to cause concern? It sounds like this car cannot take any bumps to the tires at all without taking damage!

Tone Loc

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #18323
Country flag
Thanks for your response, fellow GTA'er! Some thoughts reading your reply... How is the road noise in the car? Can you hear yourself talk when driving?

I cannot speak to other driver's ability or lack of but that would not concern me on the road, what does are parking lots and leaving my car unattended and left to defend itself against people with no care of other people's property (e.g. door dings, etc.)!

How bad do the potholes have to be to cause concern? It sounds like this car cannot take any bumps to the tires at all without taking damage!
Road noise isn't all that bad. Even cruising at 125-130 which is above 3k RPM, it is easy to have a conversation with a passenger. It is obviously significantly louder than a normal Civic, however. It is not as quiet as a Golf R, Audi S3 etc. but those cars are far more refined than the Type R.

I've never bent a wheel myself, but just looking at how short the sidewall is makes me worry. There's plenty of posts on this forum regarding members who damaged wheels going over decently sized potholes or road imperfections. I would imagine that hitting one of the larger holes on the 401 at highway speeds may be enough to cause damage. Then again, maybe I am just paranoid. Grew up in BC all my life and never saw roads of this quality before. Likely due to the harsh winters and repeated freeze/thaw cycles out here.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh heck yeah!, nowhere near that bad. Normal speaking voices even at interstate speeds. Conversation is easy.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
And how about maintaining those red seats??? Seems like a potential for stain galore!

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I've never bent a wheel myself, but just looking at how short the sidewall is makes me worry. There's plenty of posts on this forum regarding members who damaged wheels going over decently sized potholes or road imperfections. I would imagine that hitting one of the larger holes on the 401 at highway speeds may be enough to cause damage. Then again, maybe I am just paranoid. Grew up in BC all my life and never saw roads of this quality before. Likely due to the harsh winters and repeated freeze/thaw cycles out here.
My biggest worry are definitely the potholes as well. I find 404/401 to be pretty good with lack of (huge) potholes, but locally + DVP is a whole different story.

Good to know 18s with 45 sidewalls work for you, it's the same setup I plan on going with as well.

Curious: what brand are your winters? Where did you get them, and for how much (before tax)?

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Frankly, I do not see myself tracking this car so much and it would literally be treated like any other car (albeit with more care/concerns due to its appearance).
You will be missing out. This car only shines on the track, it’s mind blowing insane. From your description, where you’ll be treating it like any other car, it feels to me like you’re not the audience this car was intended for. There are great cars out there that are more apt for dailying, the 2.0T MT Accors Sport for example and even the Acura RDX A-Spec. I wouldn’t want to drive a car that does so much like the Type R, and I would just be burning it’s life in bumper to bumper traffic. That chassis is made for so much more than that.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
You will be missing out. This car only shines on the track, it’s mind blowing insane. From your description, where you’ll be treating it like any other car, it feels to me like you’re not the audience this car was intended for. There are great cars out there that are more apt for dailying, the 2.0T MT Accors Sport for example and even the Acura RDX A-Spec. I wouldn’t want to drive a car that does so much like the Type R, and I would just be burning it’s life in bumper to bumper traffic. That chassis is made for so much more than that.
Yeah and that is why I am considering a trim below, the Si or even the HB Sports Touring may suffice for my daily uses.
Sponsored