I am sure it has been asked before but... potential buyer questions, again!

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
As a test drive in the GTA is likely out of the equation (not that I would know how to test drive it as I lack a manual car to learn at the moment anyway), what is the ride quality of the 20 wheels? I hope the Type R is a comfortable daily driver and not just a car made for consistently smooth surfaces!
But really what’s to test drive? There is NOTHING else in these price ranges that comes close to these cars. Testing these cars will only confirm what you already know about them...they’re awesome cars!
I couldn’t drive a MT either before I bought mine. The salesman drove me (feeling like a sissy btw) in a demo, and 20 min later I bought the car, 1 hour off the truck new. After I bought the car, the salesman taught me how to drive a MT on the same demo mule, and a week later I was proficient enough to drive it to work and show it off. LOL
Others can speak better of this, but I’m pretty sure the Type R in normal comfort setting makes the car very smooth and plyable over rougher roads, especially our shit Toronto ones
Sponsored

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Lol no it’s not. Lol I looked up all the new cars between 30 and 40k and I found a ton of cars that have both luxury and performance above a type r. So no not really.
.....soooo....with a few thousand dollars of mods, the Si can beat Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos, etc around the Nurburgring (like the Type R).....wow....impressive...

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
1) brake squeal - I'm at 11k on my Type-R and have zero brake squeal

2) brake dust - rinses off during washing but yes, they are dusty

3) low-profile tires - I've drilled some potholes that I was absolutely sure wrecked the wheels and/or tires but miraculously they survived. There is always a risk for damage with these though...it is definitely a stress point when driving

4) the gear grinding - mine doesn't have any grinding

5) daily driving the car - I can live without the moonroof, but one missing feature I believe Canada has that the US doesn't is heated mirrors and that seems like a no-brainer to have on a car at this price. Other than that, it is comfortable and a blast to drive on my commute

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
5) daily driving the car - I can live without the moonroof, but one missing feature I believe Canada has that the US doesn't is heated mirrors and that seems like a no-brainer to have on a car at this price. Other than that, it is comfortable and a blast to drive on my commute
Heated mirrors, blind spot camera are the two major things that come to mind. However, Canada does not get anything resembling TPMS.

No heated mirrors here would be brutal with the amount of snow and ice that comes down in the winter.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Heated mirrors, blind spot camera are the two major things that come to mind. However, Canada does not get anything resembling TPMS.

No heated mirrors here would be brutal with the amount of snow and ice that comes down in the winter.
The heated mirrors was the first thing I noticed as snow started falling. I need to remember to clear off my mirrors before I go out. But the only time the mirrors get crap on them is when it snows, which means I have to clear off my car anyways.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
Fortunately the Canadian cars are equipped with heated mirrors! But no heated seats.

I just woke up and realized that if I proceeded with the Type R that it would spend the majority of its day out in the commuter lot as I take public transit to work. Oh boy, the thoughts of countless people in a rush chasing their tails to work and my car being there suddenly turned me off greatly...

One more thing to worry about aside from all the attention the car would get (the bad attention), I don’t see much about it but there have been stories about cars having their rims stolen, etc. And obviously wheel locks won’t suffice if the theives actually wanted my rims.

I know it is no supercar but it’s appearance definitely gives it a lot of attention, whether I want it or not.

Fun... more things to weigh when deciding on the car. Paying that much more for restless days... :’(

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fortunately the Canadian cars are equipped with heated mirrors! But no heated seats.

I just woke up and realized that if I proceeded with the Type R that it would spend the majority of its day out in the commuter lot as I take public transit to work. Oh boy, the thoughts of countless people in a rush chasing their tails to work and my car being there suddenly turned me off greatly...

One more thing to worry about aside from all the attention the car would get (the bad attention), I don’t see much about it but there have been stories about cars having their rims stolen, etc. And obviously wheel locks won’t suffice if the theives actually wanted my rims.

I know it is no supercar but it’s appearance definitely gives it a lot of attention, whether I want it or not.

Fun... more things to weigh when deciding on the car. Paying that much more for restless days... :’(
First world problems. Or you could take along a car cover to the commuter lot...lol. That would be an issue, and one that would discourage my getting either the R or Si.
If you were to get the Type R though, and put on different smaller rims, that may prevent theft. Stolen Honda airbags are also in demand apparently

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
First world problems. Or you could take along a car cover to the commuter lot...lol. That would be an issue, and one that would discourage my getting either the R or Si.
If you were to get the Type R though, and put on different smaller rims, that may prevent theft. Stolen Honda airbags are also in demand apparently
Not that too concern about the theft although the idea could be entertained the odd few days every year.

Even with the Si I should be comfortable leaving it in the lot despite the fact the chances of it getting dinged will be equally the same, it draws less attention overall.... for very obvious reasons.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it's no R, but I would not leave my si in the lot either. It's also a big attention grabber, i've seen too many people poking around it and even children hanging off the wing. But that's what I wanted in a car. But a Type R will undoubtedly get more of it

oriali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag

Locks have always just been deterrents since the beginning of time, not a means to an end.

The Si/Type R are going to give you a lot more attention than an average looking Civic Hatch obviously (one more than the other). But then again, you knew that if you were going to get either of these cars.

Leaving it in a commuter lot is something to think about, but it shouldn't be the primary reason why you shouldn't get the Type R. Many people DD the Focus ST/RS, GTI/Golf R, STI, and even pricier cars - think anything from BMW, Porsche, Benz, Audi, etc. It's a risk but it's not like the Type R is the most expensive car on the lot most of the time...

(Petty) theft in general within the GTA has been up in recent years, but not to a point where I consider it worrying.

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
Having never driven with low-profile tires before, I wonder if the car can handle 'day-to-day' bumps and minor potholes? Of course it would be best to avoid them at speed but sometimes it is just unavoidable and my absolute biggest concern as it would be the biggest ongoing expense (or an expense I never had to think about aside from replacing the tires). That said, from late-October to late-March I would likely be using my winter set up anyway which would definitely be at most 18" (can I even get basic steel rims at this size??? Hah!).

---

As a test drive in the GTA is likely out of the equation (not that I would know how to test drive it as I lack a manual car to learn at the moment anyway), what is the ride quality of the 20 wheels? I hope the Type R is a comfortable daily driver and not just a car made for consistently smooth surfaces!
Read through this thread, get a test drive in an Si, then decide if you will be happy enough with how fast/slow and soft it is:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/type-r-vs-si.31518/
That is, without spending money to upgrade it. If you are going to spend $5000+ in mods you may as well get the R. The R is 3x more capable than the Si. The R in Comfort mode, the ride will be as smooth and comfy than the Si if not more, but bent rims are still very likely. Get 19" for the summer (more and cheaper tire options than 20") and 18" for winter. Plenty of cheap rims under $200/each available in each size and sell the stock wheels for $1400 (going rates 1200-1600).

If parking outdoor all day I would lean toward a cheaper car like the Si to take the abuse on the paint from sun and likelihood of scrapes.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Hi all, first post on the forums and hopefully future owner to participate in this sub-forum!

I am interested in making a deposit for a 2019 Type R, likely in CW or CBP.

Trying to see as much review videos as I can and reading a lot of online reviews as well as browsing this forum, I have come to the general consensus about issues that may bother me and give me buyer's remorse (some mechanical in the car, some due to the weather/road conditions)...

1) brake squeal -- I am aware this is due to the high performance brake pads and could be a simple fix by changing to a different compound brake pad but rather than just swap out brand new brakes... I would like to use them until they require changing, given the climate in Toronto (4 seasons a year), do they more or less squeal every time I approach a stop slowly?Videos show this is not just a minor squeal but a very loud, high-pitched squeal that the general vicinity around the car would be able to hear as well!

2) brake dust - is it that bad on the stock pads? Nothing a rinse cannot take care? :(

3) low-profile tires - similarly, I know this can be replaced (the rims to fit bigger rubbers) but I wonder how fragile they actually are for day to day use, given how careful I would try to be (keeping an eye out for potholes)? Do they basically get damaged going through even the hand-sized pot holes at a decent speed?

4) the gear grinding - now I have never driven a manual vehicle before this purchase and will be learning after I receive the vehicle so I may not even know what I am looking for but given the vehicle may have this problem - is it a long term durability issue? Fatal for the transmission?

5) daily driving the car - I have only glanced at the Type R here and there due to the limited availability but the car isn't so low that I would need to be extra careful with the vehicle, correct? Creature comforts like heated seats and a sunroof which I have had since my first car seems to be a lot to give up, despite how fun the Type R appears to be, anyone miss these features they previously had???

6) Last question if you made it this far... Is this car only going for MSRP in the GTA (Toronto) area or is the price negotiable per your experience?

Thanks so much for your responses and I do apologize if they have been answered before, it just seems my questions were spread across and across various types of climates, only a handful of areas experiencing things such as snow or folks daily driving their Type R in snow.
Squeal is normal. If you can’t accept it the car is not for you.

Brake dust. Shit man, who cares? They’re gonna get dirty one way or another.

Gear grinding. Bad drivers, period. I have over 600,000 miles of MT driving experience. 15,000 miles on my CTR. It’s bad drivers.

Low profile tires. Everyone hates that. Not a problem for racing. An issue for daily.

Daily driving the car. Eh, it’s a civic either way. That comfort mode is great. Low profile tires suck. I would avoid dailying it though, it’s such a good race car that I want it to last. Daily puts it out there in the real world and it will get beat up like a daily.

OP
OP

CTRx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic
Country flag
But really what’s to test drive? There is NOTHING else in these price ranges that comes close to these cars. Testing these cars will only confirm what you already know about them...they’re awesome cars!
I couldn’t drive a MT either before I bought mine. The salesman drove me (feeling like a sissy btw) in a demo, and 20 min later I bought the car, 1 hour off the truck new. After I bought the car, the salesman taught me how to drive a MT on the same demo mule, and a week later I was proficient enough to drive it to work and show it off. LOL
Others can speak better of this, but I’m pretty sure the Type R in normal comfort setting makes the car very smooth and plyable over rougher roads, especially our shit Toronto ones
What about the Golf R! Obviously it does not drive like the Type R but from a daily commuting perspective, it may provide an overall better choice especially if not tracking the car.

it's no R, but I would not leave my si in the lot either. It's also a big attention grabber, i've seen too many people poking around it and even children hanging off the wing. But that's what I wanted in a car. But a Type R will undoubtedly get more of it
I always overlook an Si for a normal Civic, do not get me wrong - the subtle things are the reason I would love an Si and am still considering!

Leaving it in a commuter lot is something to think about, but it shouldn't be the primary reason why you shouldn't get the Type R. Many people DD the Focus ST/RS, GTI/Golf R, STI, and even pricier cars - think anything from BMW, Porsche, Benz, Audi, etc. It's a risk but it's not like the Type R is the most expensive car on the lot most of the time...

(Petty) theft in general within the GTA has been up in recent years, but not to a point where I consider it worrying.
Only difference between the cars you mentioned and even the Germans is that they do not stand out (especially as much as the Type R), not even an M4, AMG or S level cars from the Germans!!! The Type R most definitely takes aesthetics to another level.

Low profile tires. Everyone hates that. Not a problem for racing. An issue for daily.

Daily driving the car. Eh, it’s a civic either way. That comfort mode is great. Low profile tires suck. I would avoid dailying it though, it’s such a good race car that I want it to last. Daily puts it out there in the real world and it will get beat up like a daily.
Frankly, I do not see myself tracking this car so much and it would literally be treated like any other car (albeit with more care/concerns due to its appearance).

----

Seems the general consensus is nobody actually keeps the OEM wheels on the car for too long after owning it... :(

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What about the Golf R! Obviously it does not drive like the Type R but from a daily commuting perspective, it may provide an overall better choice especially if not tracking the car.
Maintenance and reliability nightmare. I disagree that it's a better choice. Also is same money or more isn't it?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Easy decision: Since your winters are rough, a High HP FWD vehicle is not for you. If you are truly into a new car, make the sensible choice for the one that can operate all year around in your weather conditions.
Sponsored