Hybrid electric turbochargers how far off are they?

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
I’m posting this thread as garrret is testing in a Honda civic and an Alfa Romeo 4c their hybrid turbo m. I found it interesting that specifically choosing Honda. Does this mean a future in Hondas for electric hybrid turbos.
For those who don’t know the hybrid electric turbo is a turbo with an electric motor between the the exhaust housing and the compressor housing assisting in just about instant boost at any rpm and after achieving full boost actually becomes a generator producing electricity to control the boost by both charging load and a very different wastegate. Here’s a link
https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/video-center/video/the-electric-compressor/
I’d love to hear if any knows about testing in other cars as well. Opinions as well.
Yes we all know it’s too expensive right now but it won’t be in a few years.
But what if we could do it now?
Could you imagine much larger compressor housing generating way less heat making more power with less boost and almost zero lag?
Sponsored

theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
The new Jeep Wrangler uses an interesting concept too. The 2.0 takes a bit to spool so they use a small hybrid motor to assist until the turbo kicks in. It works really well. This is an interesting topic as well.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I've heard of these systems too. Don't they use something similar in some race cars? I'm surprised they haven't already become mainstream.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
In order to Mass Produce a design like that, the cost bites into the profit. So, the MSRP would be higher - and that may not be competitive.
Honda (like numerous other manufacturers) are engineering more efficient engines - but they will also keep with roughly the lowest/reliable cost.

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Some race cars have them--I haven't looked into it, but I've been told some German cars have them already now.
Sponsored