HU beeping constantly

bander68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Rallye Red
I don't know that this can in any way be attributed to iphones. I only use a Galaxy S5 in my car. No other phone has been paired yet. No iphone has even been in my car. And I had the issue. It has only happened one time so far, and I cleaned the (very dusty) screen the next day and it hasn't happened since then.
Sponsored

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I don't know that this can in any way be attributed to iphones. I only use a Galaxy S5 in my car. No other phone has been paired yet. No iphone has even been in my car. And I had the issue. It has only happened one time so far, and I cleaned the (very dusty) screen the next day and it hasn't happened since then.
Yeah, the issue I was talking about specific to the iPhone 5 is that with the phone locked and a few apps open, the CarPlay application is likely to not have enough memory to service requests, so CarPlay will just not work on the phone's end.

A phone, whether it's supported or not, should not cause the HU to go crazy...especially if the phone isn't even attached at the moment. I'm not saying it *couldn't*, just that it shouldn't.

OP
OP

Bearbytez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
So yesterday the car beeped really fast for about 5 seconds and then stopped. It was way more intense than anything it had done before, so I thought it may be a different thing...

But today it's back to the same old thing.

We specifically upgraded her to a listed supported phone for this specific vehicle on Honda's own website. For $650. That obviously wasn't the problem.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Sigh.
Yet another thread where people are told their phone is the problem.

Can we please pin an article that just says "it's not your phone, whatever phone you have"

Everyone's phone is fine.
Hondas infotainment software is not.

Honda needs to issue an update.

Time spent at the dealer, and expecting the dealer to actually be able to provide any kind of resolution, is a waste of time until they do.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
"it's not your phone, whatever phone you have"
IF Honda issues a number of updates, THEN there will be *some* phones that it will still not work well with, simply because there is also crap phone software out there. But we are a *LONG* way from that point.

And, while I agree 110% that dealers are completely unequipped to help solve these issues, they are, sadly, part of how owners have to pressure Honda to fix these issues. Honda has your money for the car. They aren't going to fix the infotainment bugs until they feel a lot of pain from owners and dealers.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Wondering: has anybody with the "beeping constantly" problem tried reducing the touch sensitivity in settings? (You may have already reported doing so and I forget.)

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Wondering: has anybody with the "beeping constantly" problem tried reducing the touch sensitivity in settings? (You may have already reported doing so and I forget.)
Good question. I'll try reducing the sensitivity this morning. I had put it to high, thinking that might cure the issue of having to tap the screen more than once to get it to respond. It's now had the first of Honda's software patches. Maybe worth a try.

Also, previously I had stated that the problem only occurred in my Touring when it was warmed up -- no longer the case. It started beeping immediately on the drive home yesterday while leaving work, when going slowly over speed-bumps in a parking garage. One set of beeps with the first bump, another set of beeps with the second one, a few seconds later. Could be coincidence, I suppose, as the car has been over the same speed-bumps many times without beeping in the past.

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Good question. I'll try reducing the sensitivity this morning. I had put it to high, thinking that might cure the issue of having to tap the screen more than once to get it to respond. It's now had the first of Honda's software patches. Maybe worth a try.

Also, previously I had stated that the problem only occurred in my Touring when it was warmed up -- no longer the case. It started beeping immediately on the drive home yesterday while leaving work, when going slowly over speed-bumps in a parking garage. One set of beeps with the first bump, another set of beeps with the second one, a few seconds later. Could be coincidence, I suppose, as the car has been over the same speed-bumps many times without beeping in the past.
You sure your beeping is coming from the HU and not from Honda Sensing? We had a wind"storm" here where a tree dumped all over my car. My car was beeping at me like crazy, (particularly when my car was angled at the ground at all) until I took it through a car wash. Pretty sure taking a sponge to the radar area would've worked too.

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You sure your beeping is coming from the HU and not from Honda Sensing? We had a wind"storm" here where a tree dumped all over my car. My car was beeping at me like crazy, (particularly when my car was angled at the ground at all) until I took it through a car wash. Pretty sure taking a sponge to the radar area would've worked too.
Another good question. No, I have the collision mitigation sensing turned off, after experiencing a few false beeps around just this kind of thing i.e. approaching speed bumps, traffic barriers during turns etc.

My Touring would occasionally beep when approaching speed bumps (not always). The latest beeping fit was while passing over the bumps, as if something was loose in the car and causing the malfunction of the infotainment unit when bumped.

This random ghost beeping has always been accompanied by a return to the Home screen, despite no one touching the screen. I've read here that the three-beep signal is to tell the user they are already on the home screen. If I tap the "Audio" button to go to the audio screen during one of these fits, it always returns to the Home screen by itself, shortly after, beeping away.

Oddly enough, no ghost beeps from the unit at all today, so far.

2016_EX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Seems like many are having issues with this system. Is Honda aware of all of this? Not sure the local dealer reports back to them on all issues. Just the other day the top 1/2" of my screen turned into the Lane Watch display and everything else was black. I am also have trouble performing a reboot and the Audio button is unresponsive.

OP
OP

Bearbytez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
We contacted Honda of America yesterday. They're just sending us back to the dealership for more nonsense tests.

Silverhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I've been having this issue intermittently as well. As some have suggested, turning the touch sensitivity of the screen from "high" to "low" seems to have fixed my problem. YMMV.

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I've been having this issue intermittently as well. As some have suggested, turning the touch sensitivity of the screen from "high" to "low" seems to have fixed my problem. YMMV.
I did the same last evening. Then I just turned the beep feature off (also an option), since I've found it very distracting when it kicks in.

Since it's always accompanied with a return to the home screen, I'll be able to tell when it's malfunctioning.

So far so good, but really only about 45 minutes of city driving so far.

etommytay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
My touring is just under a month old with a little over 1000 miles and just started doing this today. I turned the display sensitivity to high the day I got it. I will try turning it back down. FYI I use a HTC One with android auto.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I got an EX-L back in December and it's been doing this intermittently since too. I thought it was an issue with my phone at first but my phone recently died (no charge, even with new battery) and it's continued to happen. I noticed that it got worse when I wiped my screen with one of those microfiber cloths, it seems like it generated a lot of static so I thought maybe that could be part of the issue. Would love to know what the deal is!
Sponsored