How worried should I be about oil dilution on new Civics?

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I was looking to purchase a new 2019 Civic Hatchback EX. Should I not buy it due to the oil dilution problem some people were having?
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
If you are generally worried, then no. However, there are literally hundreds of thousands of these cars (and engines) on the road. I am not worried about it. Had mine for over a year and 25K miles and no issues. If you read enough threads about any brand - then all cars you want to buy should be avoided ;)

Also note that Honda did /is covering affected vehicles with a computer update that all new cars now come with, so instances of dilution will be minimized.

Last edited:

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Worried? Well you just have to plan your trip accordingly as Honda recommends not to drive short distances.

Unless you don't mind going with a sedan which offers a 2.0 engine.

Last edited:

retuks

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback 6sp. 93 Supra Turbo 6sp. Getrag 6766 turbo E85 / 750whp. 97 240sx 5sp.
Country flag
I was looking to purchase a new 2019 Civic Hatchback EX. Should I not buy it due to the oil dilution problem some people were having?
read my recent post if you feel it will be detrimental to longevity.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you are generally worried, then no. However, there are literally hundreds of thousands of these cars (and engines) on the road. I am not worried about it. Had mine for over a year and 25K miles and no issues. If you read enough threads about any brand - then all cars you want to buy should be avoided ;)

Also note that Honda did /is covering affected vehicles with a computer update that all new cars now come with, so instances of dilution will be minimized.
From what I've read, I heard the fix was only for certain states?
I guess you are right, no car is perfect haha

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Worried? Well you just have to plan your trip accordingly as Honda recommends not to drive short distances.

Unless you don't mind going with a sedan which offers a 2.0 engine.
I wouldn't mind the 2.0 engine, but I want an EX trim so if I get one I'm stuck with the turbo haha.
I wonder what distance would be too short? It takes me about 20 minutes to get to work, some highway driving involved. Do you think that will be fine?

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
read my recent post if you feel it will be detrimental to longevity.
Interesting post haha.
Knowing my clumsy self I'll definitely forget to put everything back into place before I drive lol

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
I wouldn't mind the 2.0 engine, but I want an EX trim so if I get one I'm stuck with the turbo haha.
I wonder what distance would be too short? It takes me about 20 minutes to get to work, some highway driving involved. Do you think that will be fine?
20 minute drive should be long enough but don't take my word on it. I know your limited to your choice since you want an EX model but make sure to always test drive to see if you like how the 1.5t feels vs the 2.0.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I agree you need to test drive both engines. I myself love my 2.0 sound and feel. My girlfriends has the 1.5t. She also loves hers. They both got good power and I’m sure they both will last a long time. But I’ve always wanted a 2.0 I-vtec motor. They have been proven over time to take a beating. I drive a lot harder than my girlfriend so the 2.0 was a better fit for me. And also mine is a 6 speed manual while hers is a CVT which makes a difference to. You need to try them all to see what fits you better.

retuks

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback 6sp. 93 Supra Turbo 6sp. Getrag 6766 turbo E85 / 750whp. 97 240sx 5sp.
Country flag
I agree you need to test drive both engines. I myself love my 2.0 sound and feel. My girlfriends has the 1.5t. She also loves hers. They both got good power and I’m sure they both will last a long time. But I’ve always wanted a 2.0 I-vtec motor. They have been proven over time to take a beating. I drive a lot harder than my girlfriend so the 2.0 was a better fit for me. And also mine is a 6 speed manual while hers is a CVT which makes a difference to. You need to try them all to see what fits you better.
I can vouch for this statement. The flywheel on an extremely tiny engine like the 1.5 is so heavy to compensate for the small rotating assembly (for good gas mileage etc) that the 6 speed manual and it's ratios just feel rather clumsy. You have rev hang, a restrictively short 1st gear and it's Grand Canyon sized leap to 2nd which doesn't seem healthy for it whether you drive it correctly or not, boost lag (a catch 22 with the supposed "peak boost" since you have to keep revs away from that lower range to avoid low speed pre ignition), and a lower redline all in one package. I remember my 07 Si and my 04 vvt miata. those gear ratios were very useable and it pulled hard and willingly at nearly any tach position. I really believe they should have at least had a 1.8 turbo in these new civics. nothing's convincing me they couldn't have achieved 40mpg with that and we wouldn't be stressing such a small engine in and out of boost.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I can vouch for this statement. The flywheel on an extremely tiny engine like the 1.5 is so heavy to compensate for the small rotating assembly (for good gas mileage etc) that the 6 speed manual and it's ratios just feel rather clumsy. You have rev hang, a restrictively short 1st gear and it's Grand Canyon sized leap to 2nd which doesn't seem healthy for it whether you drive it correctly or not, boost lag (a catch 22 with the supposed "peak boost" since you have to keep revs away from that lower range to avoid low speed pre ignition), and a lower redline all in one package. I remember my 07 Si and my 04 vvt miata. those gear ratios were very useable and it pulled hard and willingly at nearly any tach position. I really believe they should have at least had a 1.8 turbo in these new civics. nothing's convincing me they couldn't have achieved 40mpg with that and we wouldn't be stressing such a small engine in and out of boost.
Honda is one of the best, if not the best engine manufacturers in the world. Not everybody will agree with their decision on the engine size choice but man its hard to argue it wasnt a successful one. Almost 4 years since its debut, it is still one of the most fuel efficient, and quickest mainstream engine in it's class. And btw, as far as the oil dilution concern, there are many people already who are in the 100,000 plus mileage with absolutely no issues. Take care of your car, and it will take care of you.

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch *Sold*
Country flag
Why be worried? Do regular maintenance and inspections. After 100k or 150k miles start doing compression tests with your oil changes if you're concerned.

Hellcat68

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
Be very worried....my 2019 Civic Touring had 12% fuel in oil at 4300km and 50% oil life remaining. The viscosity was at the danger level. I traded my 2016 Civic Turbo hoping the problem had been solved. I live in the warmest region of Canada - hardly ever below freezing in winter (think Seattle) and the average km/day usage is about 40. So Honda has not fixed these engines. There is a letter posted in the Globe and Mail in the auto section from a 2018 CRV owner who had the software update...did not solve the problem - the oil level rises but a bit more slowly. In my case the oil level did not change but the fuel replaced the oil. And since when did Honda think a consumer had to drive further at higher speed to make its' engines perform better. Honda are you suggesting unnecessary use of our planet resources to make these engines perform? I wonder what Soichiro Honda would have thought about such a suggestion? Further - the oil sample was taken by the dealer tech and analysed by Wear Check, one of the largest lubrication services companies that operates worldwide.

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Be very worried....my 2019 Civic Touring had 12% fuel in oil at 4300km and 50% oil life remaining. The viscosity was at the danger level.
And the 2019 models are supposed to be fixed.... Could this show that they are not?

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Be very worried....my 2019 Civic Touring had 12% fuel in oil at 4300km and 50% oil life remaining. The viscosity was at the danger level. I traded my 2016 Civic Turbo hoping the problem had been solved. I live in the warmest region of Canada - hardly ever below freezing in winter (think Seattle) and the average km/day usage is about 40. So Honda has not fixed these engines. There is a letter posted in the Globe and Mail in the auto section from a 2018 CRV owner who had the software update...did not solve the problem - the oil level rises but a bit more slowly. In my case the oil level did not change but the fuel replaced the oil. And since when did Honda think a consumer had to drive further at higher speed to make its' engines perform better. Honda are you suggesting unnecessary use of our planet resources to make these engines perform? I wonder what Soichiro Honda would have thought about such a suggestion? Further - the oil sample was taken by the dealer tech and analysed by Wear Check, one of the largest lubrication services companies that operates worldwide.
Well if it really is a temperature issue, then hopefully I'll be fine, since I live in Georgia haha. I've read that maybe using a thicker oil can help prevent the issues?
Sponsored