How Tuning Affects your Warranty?

Prior to tuning, what was your take on how tuning affects your warranty?

• They won’t know it was tuned if I reflash back to stock and therefore will not affect my warranty.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Tuning will only affect my warranty if it is the cause of the defect in question.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Reflashing is useless. Dealers can see it was tuned &will use it to deny nearly any claim they want.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I don't really care to know how tuning affects my warranty and am willing to accept its risks.

Votes: 22 24.7%

• Total voters

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm looking into getting a Ktuner for my 2020 si in the future, but am fearful of how it will affect my warranty. Since the ECU controls just about everything in the car, my biggest concern is if the dealer can tell it was tuned in any way, they would then be able to use that as leverage to deny any warranty claims they so choose regardless if the tune was actually at fault. I get that they need to prove an aftermarket component was at fault, but to what extents do they actually have to go to prove it?

I did some research and sifted through some helpful forums only to find vastly differing opinions about the subject along with misleading information. That got me to wonder what people's understanding were regarding the affects it has on warranty when they purchased the device/software to tune it. As a data guy, I was compelled to see how the numbers played out and what risks people are willing to take.

Feel free to post any concrete or anecdotal evidence you believe supports your opinion!
Sponsored

DLEGAIR

First Name
Dexter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Most reputable dealers can see how many times your ECU has been flashed just for your information. It's a risk to be honest if your car has some type of issue that would normally be covered under a factory warranty and they can prove to an extent that your modifications were the reasoning behind it, for the most part, you SOL. It all depends are what brand you're dealing with. Some car manufacturers don't play while others can be more lenient. Hope this helps.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Anything power train related (engine, transmission) could be denied. Unrelated items would still be covered.

Will it be denied? That depends on what broke and who needs to look into it. Injector failure? Might slide with a reflash to stock. Motor failure? This is going above the dealership level. Best of luck.

(*A large gray area exists here due to different wants from different groups. Techs want to get paid and are willing to overlook things if it puts money in their pockets. The dealership doesn't care unless Honda decides not to reimburse them for the repair, etc.)

The burden Proof required by Honda to deny your warranty coverage? It requires one of Honda's engineers testifying that " in my expert option, the tune caused the failure".

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Even if the dealership can or cant see, if your engine blows, they are gonna send the ecu to honda for investigation before they warranty anything.

When it will count, they will know.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the bottom line. It won't affect your bumper to bumper warranty. Things other than the powertrain in other words. I mean, a tune doesn't affect your power windows not functioning, for example. But, blow the engine or destroy your transmission/clutch or other powertrain issues and you're screwed unless you get lucky.

There is risk in tuning. It's a question of whether the risk is worth the reward. And that's your call.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Would Installing aftermarket Parts such a PRL intercooler or Cobra CAI would affect powertrain warranty? With No tune done to the CEU

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Would Installing aftermarket Parts such a PRL intercooler or Cobra CAI would affect powertrain warranty? With No tune done to the CEU
If the dealer or honda motor co thinks those mods caused whatever failure may happen then yes. It's really up to honda if they wanna be dicks

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Look at my mod list.

My head gasket failed, removed the tune and ethanol kit. Took it to honda, and theyre replacing it under warranty. Should be done this week.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Here's the bottom line. It won't affect your bumper to bumper warranty. Things other than the powertrain in other words. I mean, a tune doesn't affect your power windows not functioning, for example. But, blow the engine or destroy your transmission/clutch or other powertrain issues and you're screwed unless you get lucky.

There is risk in tuning. It's a question of whether the risk is worth the reward. And that's your call.
Tunning? Like tunning your ECU?
You think a PRL intercooler and Cobra CAI can blow your engine wothout tunning?

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I work at a Honda dealer and we’ve done a lot of warranty engine stuff. Ive only seen them get denied if it was, lets say you changed your own oil and you didn’t take the plastic all the way off the oil filter and it goes in the oil passage ways and clogs the oil feed to the intake cam and then you ruin the bearings and end up snapping a camshaft (this actually happened to a customer on an 18 crv) then they will not cover it because it wasn’t a manufacturer defect.

In other words, if they can’t prove it wasn’t a manufacturer defect, then you’re fine.

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
even if your car is in for a simple oil change, the first thing they do is hook it up to the computer,

if your tuning......they know you have done it, they know you are doing it, don't kid yourself

they won't tell you they know about it, unless there is a reason to do so,

they will note it in your file, and they will use that info in the future to deny warranty claims, if you have any

just because they didn't say anything to you, that doesn't mean they don't know about it
My dealer does not plug in anything into the cars if they're going in for an oil change.
All of the certified techs there are personal friends of mine. This is not a common practice.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My dealer does not plug in anything into the cars if they're going in for an oil change.
All of the certified techs there are personal friends of mine. This is not a common practice.
This has been my experience as well. Any OBDII diagnosis, or any firmware update, is both documented and communicated to the customer prior to doing.

To the OP... dealers us HDS proprietary firmware under certain conditions to troubleshoot or look up vehicle history. Certain conditions, such as an overrev or critical hardware failure, can trigger data to be stored or "burned in" to the ECU. Some will trigger a DTC on the dash, others will not.

Outside of the above conditions, it's largely unknown as to what parameters would trigger event data to be recorded (and where). We have thousands of users happily running base maps for tens of thousands of miles, with 0 issues. But if something were to fail, and it was determined that the motor was operating outside factory parameters, the owner could "conceivably" be held liable for the repair bill.

Honda Civic 10th gen How Tuning Affects your Warranty? upload_2019-12-3_9-22-52

Honda Civic 10th gen How Tuning Affects your Warranty? upload_2019-12-3_9-23-53

Honda Civic 10th gen How Tuning Affects your Warranty? upload_2019-12-3_9-22-10

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This has been my experience as well. Any OBDII diagnosis, or any firmware update, is both documented and communicated to the customer prior to doing.

To the OP... dealers us HDS proprietary firmware under certain conditions to troubleshoot or look up vehicle history. Certain conditions, such as an overrev or critical hardware failure, can trigger data to be stored or "burned in" to the ECU. Some will trigger a DTC on the dash, others will not.

Outside of the above conditions, it's largely unknown as to what parameters would trigger event data to be recorded (and where). We have thousands of users happily running base maps for tens of thousands of miles, with 0 issues. But if something were to fail, and it was determined that the motor was operating outside factory parameters, the owner could "conceivably" be held liable for the repair bill.

upload_2019-12-3_9-22-52.png

upload_2019-12-3_9-23-53.png

upload_2019-12-3_9-22-10.png
Thank you for this post. Very informative.
Sponsored