It is an answer when we lack an argument
Sponsored

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
This is a relatively simple equation, complicated by, what I think is a pretty stupid dipstick design.
First, make sure the car is level! Best time to get an accurate read is before a cold start after ALL the oil Has returned to the crankcase, checking after 10-15 minutes will give you virtually the same reading. With Honda's dipstick design, checking clean oil is difficult, you almost have to wipe the plastic indicator with a solvent to remove the oil completely, shiny indicator, shiny oil, hard to read, if the plastic indicator doesn't catch the light just right, it's difficult to see the level, especially if the oil level is just below the upper mark indentation. Once the oil has acquired a little color, its easier. With 0W-20 oil, you can wait 10-15 min and be confident of an accurate read. With only 3.7 quarts, you really can't afford to let it get significantly low. In my 2016 EX-L, never used a drop between 5k changes, my new Touring has only 300 or so miles, so it's very difficult to read the stick, added a few ounces to get the level just to the upper indicator to make it more visible. Used Honda Full-Synthetic 0W-20 for that 2-3 oz top-off. I'll change to my usual Mobil 1 0W-20 EFM at 5k.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks, super appreciated. I took it to Honda and they showed me how to read it, because I agree that I can't read it for shit. They also drained enough so that it's to the top.

Every single mechanic I spoke to in bringing up the fact that the factory oil is "darker, meant to stay in the car until the first oil change to work with internal components" had them respond by saying that it's all full synthetic Honda oil, so I at least just hope that there is enough of the original oil in there that all will be good.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Reading cold is easier because after a longer time there is almost no oil in the dipstick tube. Cold is how I read most of the time. Still, reading on hot engine 10 minutes after turning off gives practically the same result.
If it wasn't the same, the 5-10 min reading would be the true "correct" reading, because that's how Honda calibrated the markings on the dipstick (for hot reading, when some small amount of oil still didn't return).

I never count on the color of dirty oil. I only look for the wet-dry contrast. I could with no problem check the level of clear water with this dipstick.

The biggest fault of the civic's plastic dipstick is the boat shape intended to hold some oil in a misguided attempt to facilitate reading. What it does is cause quite quick creeping and spreading of the captured oil beyond the original wet-dry boundary. This is particularly annoying when the level is almost to the top of the plastic.

So I'm going to shave off the rim of the plastic to make it flat and hold less oil.

Another trick to make rading easier would be to coat the plastic with some matte paint that would show better the dry-wet contrast.

Last edited:

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Going to try a different approach on this. Planning to rub the shiny plastic with Scotch Brite, hopefully dulling the shine. This should give better contrast and make reading easier. Other than the fact that this is, at best, a problem that could be easily corrected by Honda with a better design, this dulling of a shiny surface used to read a shiny substance, might help. Will do this over the weekend and report results.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Going to try a different approach on this. Planning to rub the shiny plastic with Scotch Brite, hopefully dulling the shine. This should give better contrast and make reading easier. Other than the fact that this is, at best, a problem that could be easily corrected by Honda with a better design, this dulling of a shiny surface used to read a shiny substance, might help. Will do this over the weekend and report results.
Worked well for me :)

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Worked well for me :)[/QUOTE

Well, used some grey ScotchBrite on the plastic end, did take some of the gloss off. Checked oil this morning (cold) was able to get a good read, but would really like the plastic tip to have some "texture" for better contrast and easier reading. I'll live with it, now at 600 miles, oil has a bit of color. I have a friend with a glass-beading cabinet, may try that at some time. Heck, my 66 Corvair had a dipstick that was better than this!!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I've got a spare one on order, to play with.
I plan to remove the Orange Plastic end, and maybe replace it with a white, textured, high density plastic end, with a slightly different design to the original.
Or maybe just leave the end Textured Metal.

A new plastic end might be the Ideal job for a 3D Printer -- if I had one. Since I don't, I'll cut one out of a block and drill and epoxy it on.

I do not intend to keep this modified one in the engine, but rather have it in the garage, so I can get a better oil level check, especially when the oil is new.

It's got to be a better mousetrap !!

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Man, the stock dipstick is hard to read with brand new oil.

I have this adjustable dipstick that I bought for my german car, which doesn't have a dipstick. It works really well. It has an adjustable knurled knob that you loosen/tighten and slide to the correct length.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to read dipstick IMG_20190415_200547

Honda Civic 10th gen How to read dipstick IMG_20190415_200607

Honda Civic 10th gen How to read dipstick IMG_20190415_200644

Honda Civic 10th gen How to read dipstick IMG_20190415_200805

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Man, the stock dipstick is hard to read with brand new oil.

I have this adjustable dipstick that I bought for my german car, which doesn't have a dipstick. It works really well. It has an adjustable knurled knob that you loosen/tighten and slide to the correct length.

IMG_20190415_200547.jpg

IMG_20190415_200607.jpg

IMG_20190415_200644.jpg

IMG_20190415_200805.jpg
do you know what it's called? The stock dipstick is awful. I thought I was going nuts trying to read it. Passed it off to my relative who used to be a mechanic and he just shrugged and said he couldn't tell either. There was definitely oil on the stick but it was impossible to tell where it began and where it ended.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
do you know what it's called? The stock dipstick is awful. I thought I was going nuts trying to read it. Passed it off to my relative who used to be a mechanic and he just shrugged and said he couldn't tell either. There was definitely oil on the stick but it was impossible to tell where it began and where it ended.
Search for AU40178 on Amazon or similar.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
For those that have difficulty reading the stick, check your oil with the engine cold. It makes it a hell of alot easier when the oil is not all throughout the dipstick tube. Only difference is that it may read a mm or two higher when cold.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
you will get an inaccurate reading checking oil cold,

oil should always be checked with your engine at full operating temperature, about 3-4 mins after you shut the engine off

read your owners manual page 529

We recommend that you check the engine oil level every time you refuel.
Park the vehicle on level ground.
Wait approximately three minutes after turning the engine off before you check the
oil.

1. Remove the dipstick (orange).
2. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth or
paper towel.
3. Insert the dipstick back all the way into its
hole.
How inaccurate will the reading be? Would it be closer to 2mm or 2 inches.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have always checked oil when the engine is cold... and the oil has had time to run back into the crankcase.
Also, when it is cold, it sticks better to the dipstick !!

One tip I will pass on, especially to help with reading the dipstick with new (Clear) oil.

Rough up the shiny orange plastic but with some course sand paper, so that it is not shiny anymore, and is scratched up. Makes seeing where oil is on the orange part a lot easier.

My old level has remained just up to touching the max mark, consistently for the past 8 months.
The only changes over that time, is that it has got darker, every time I check it ...Much easier to read now.
Yes, the oil on the dipstick has a slight smell of gas, but it is consistent, and not that bad.
NO SMELL of gas in the car, or under the hood, when the dipstick is in place.

My 32 year old Maxima with is not DI, has no smell of gas on the dipstick oil. :thumbsup:

I'm happy :)
Sponsored