How to Quickly Mute the Stereo with Steering Wheel Slider - 2016 Honda Civic

NewHondaDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
One of the more annoying things about the 2016 Civic is the lack of a physical volume knob on the center console. I know that at times I need to quickly mute the radio and it gets annoying to have to use multiple clicks or swipe gestures to mute the sound.

I noticed some posts spread across this forum on this issue and some pointed out a swipe gesture on the slider to quickly mute the sound. I gave it a try and it works great.

Here is a video explaining how that works. Enjoy.

Sponsored

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
Genuine question... what is the advantage of muting the audio vs turning off the audio? There's that audio power button at the upper left corner of the display audio screen, which quickly turns the audio off independent from the rest of the system, and back on again. If listening to mp3 music, doing it this way essentially pauses the song and it picks up where it left off when you turn audio back on. Muting the audio on the other hand lets the song continue to play silently.

OP
OP
NewHondaDude

NewHondaDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Genuine question... what is the advantage of muting the audio vs turning off the audio? There's that audio power button at the upper left corner of the display audio screen, which quickly turns the audio off independent from the rest of the system, and back on again. If listening to mp3 music, doing it this way essentially pauses the song and it picks up where it left off when you turn audio back on. Muting the audio on the other hand lets the song continue to play silently.
Fair question and I totally agree that turning off the audio by using the screen display is just as effective. This was just more of a "How To" guide for those that didn't know this tip. I just learned it today and wanted to share with others.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
Fair question and I totally agree that turning off the audio by using the screen display is just as effective. This was just more of a "How To" guide for those that didn't know this tip. I just learned it today and wanted to share with others.

I've been having trouble getting the swipe to mute to work consistently, actually. Does it work for you all the time? Most of the time? Any tips or guesses what I might be getting wrong with it?

OP
OP
NewHondaDude

NewHondaDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've been having trouble getting the swipe to mute to work consistently, actually. Does it work for you all the time? Most of the time? Any tips or guesses what I might be getting wrong with it?
I agree its a bit finicky and doesn't always respond to me either. I am successful 80% of the time getting it the first try, but not always.

bander68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Rallye Red
Thanks for the tip. It seems to take some practice.

anckentucky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I sat in the car for the first time yesterday at a dealership and was able to mute it on the first go.

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
Yay I was able to do it!! Out of curiosity i did it the opposite way to see if it would make the volume max out but didn't work

Last edited:

brbeaird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Is there any way to unmute it so that it resumes the previous volume setting?

epmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I can think of a reason. If you're playing XM Radio, the system buffers music. It's pretty cool; if I take a call, the music pauses while I'm on the call and resumes when I hang up. The display shows (on the right side) "-3.52" or however long I was on the phone. It seems to buffer the entire time the car is on. Buffer enough, and you can skip songs (forward or backwards) on that or other channels.

If I mute, it keeps buffering. If I shut down, all is lost--I think. [Update: According to Mocha90210, I was wrong! Sorry for the misinformation.]

I like this aspect of the system. I can usually switch channels and buffer enough to listen to XM Radio while I park my car in a parking garage--which takes about ten minutes underground.

Last edited:

froyskie

Touring85
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
One of the more annoying things about the 2016 Civic is the lack of a physical volume knob on the center console. I know that at times I need to quickly mute the radio and it gets annoying to have to use multiple clicks or swipe gestures to mute the sound.

I noticed some posts spread across this forum on this issue and some pointed out a swipe gesture on the slider to quickly mute the sound. I gave it a try and it works great.

Here is a video explaining how that works. Enjoy.

Thank you for the Tip...
Sponsored