How to Protect Your Car From Rodents (from Consumer Reports)

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thought I would share this. I left my 2016 Touring out of the garage for a couple of weeks only to find a trove of nuts stored in the hood. Luckily not wires eaten through, this time.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/how-to-protect-your-car-from-rodents/

What You Can Do
We found a clever solution in a TSB from Honda: rodent-deterrent tape, essentially an electrical tape treated with super-spicy capsaicin, which Honda describes as “the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chili.” The tape (part number 4019-2317) is available through dealers for about $36 for a 20-meter roll, about 22 yards. You'll also find it online.

Honda Civic 10th gen How to Protect Your Car From Rodents (from Consumer Reports) CR-Cars-Inline-How-to-protect-your-car-from-rodents-07-17-v3
Sponsored

FC215T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC2 1.5T
I've heard mixed reviews regarding this tape. A preventative measure I've found that works is mixing a solution of vinegar and peppermint oil and giving the engine bay a light spritz.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dad used to keep these sonic noise maker things that were supposed to keep the squirrels and rats out of his work shed. I've seen engine bay version but they may be a gimmick. He would just chase them out and use a shotgun on them. That was around the time I got a pellet gun as a Christmas present and was encouraged to go after them.

I still remember him plugging that thing in... shaking it... holding it up to his ear and shrugging that the squirrels must have been able to hear it. I don't know that it ever worked... but there did seem to be way less squirrels around then. Whether it was from a seemingly silent box or because their friends occasionally were getting chased out and blasted off a limb with birdshot and the others took notice... I couldn't tell you...

Here a link to one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Loraffe-Ul...e&qid=1552708021&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Many post on rodents on the forum

Ultrasonic unit ; Gimmick ? I don't know. I read few study ont that sonic and nothing usefull.
I put few units in my home attic since 3 years. No more mouses.
I do some other work around house, I never see something wrong like a hole or ....? So I don't know for sure if sonic unit are good.
Anyway I leave it working.
Sponsored