how to make the horn loud?

VicPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018
Country flag
Hi,

I used to have a Chev Cruze that when I press the "lock" on the key fob it horns quite loud, i used this to locate my car in a crowded parking lot, or ensure my car is securely locked.

Now I'm running a Civic EX 2018, while that little beep is so un-noticeable...

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks
Sponsored

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Hi,

I used to have a Chev Cruze that when I press the "lock" on the key fob it horns quite loud, i used this to locate my car in a crowded parking lot, or ensure my car is securely locked.

Thanks
Not sure how "loud" it should be? Are thinking of installing a train horn or something?

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
I upgraded to a Hella Horn and it is very loud. It came with a Hi and Low but I could only fit one. I can't imagine how loud it would have been with 2.
Honda Civic 10th gen how to make the horn loud? Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 11.52.07

OceansX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
I'm running the hella horns as well, both of them mounted by the intercooler.

They're hella loud :rolleyes:

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
:thumbsup: on the Hellas, used them on both my Miatas, saved my butt several times on the highway when trucks were trying to merge on me. My dealer kindly installed a set (hi & lo) Accord horns on my Civic, vast improvement over stock. An audible set of horns on a smaller car is a definite safety upgrade, especially with all the trucks we have to share highway space with.

Oh yeah, to find your car, like the above poster indicated, just push "Panic", the horn blows, lights flash, just look for the party in the parking lot!:nixon:Don't worry, most people look away or walk away from any car alarm!

Last edited:

KYBubblehead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sports Touring
Country flag
I upgraded to a Hella Horn and it is very loud. It came with a Hi and Low but I could only fit one. I can't imagine how loud it would have been with 2.
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 11.52.07.png
I, also, added Hella horns. I fit them both in them both in the stock wimpy horns location. Now, on the rare occasion I need to use it, it actually sounds like a proper horn! The most time consuming part of the install is the removal/reinstall of the front bumper cover.
Use a relay if you're using both horns!

OP
OP

VicPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018
Country flag
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 11.52.07.png
can you let me know how much time does it take you to mount it? I'm so rookie for mechanical jobs.

Thanks

OP
OP

VicPhantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 2018
Country flag
:thumbsup: on the Hellas, used them on both my Miatas, saved my butt several times on the highway when trucks were trying to merge on me. My dealer kindly installed a set (hi & lo) Accord horns on my Civic, vast improvement over stock. An audible set of horns on a smaller car is a definite safety upgrade, especially with all the trucks we have to share highway space with.

Oh yeah, to find your car, like the above poster indicated, just push "Panic", the horn blows, lights flash, just look for the party in the parking lot!:nixon:Don't worry, most people look away or walk away from any car alarm!
how much did your dealer charge you for the installation + horns?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks
If your only goal is finding it in the parking lot, the panic-button-to-make-the-horn-sound should do the trick. Out horn is a little 'meeeeep' sounding... but if you only want to find the car via the horn vice the high pitched beep, it is fine for that purpose. If you still can't hear your horn, tinny as it may be, well... I suppose you can replace the horn.

Unlike a lot of automakers, we get a beep that isn't horn based for our lock, auto unlock, left the car with our keys tones. Changing the horn will do nothing for this unless... again... you're using your panic button to make the horn sound.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
It was under $100, the horns were about $30, bumper had to come off, there was some finagling on the driver's side and the intercooler plumbing was a concern, but my mechanic fitted it all in. No relays required, the Hellas would be an easier fit. I installed them on 2 Miatas, no extra relays, no problems. I went with the Accord horns as the Service Manager stepped up an gave me a good price to do it. I have some physical issues (can't kneel) and no place to safely remove the bumper, otherwise would have done it myself and gone with the Hellas, but I'm totally pleased with the Accord horns. (Used part #'s from an 18 Sport) There have been threads about this on this forum.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
can you let me know how much time does it take you to mount it? I'm so rookie for mechanical jobs.

Thanks
Once the bumper is off, it's pretty easy. 5-10mins max if you use the pre-made Horn Adapter from CollegeHillsHonda: https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/0S18.html

I already had the bumper off for other mods but I have seen a few that were able to just remove the small black grill part.