How to learn about cars as a casual driver? (YouTube, games, etc.)

Seriphyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2019, Honda Civic EX 2007
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I do enjoy my brand new Civic Si. I know it's 1.5L turbo, inline-4. I know engine size isn't really everything, but if I want something loud and powerful sounding, I want a V8. But talk to me about something as basic as spark plugs (well I might be exaggerating there), and you've lost me.

I am interested in a great many things. IRL I am a history teacher developing a new curriculum based around themes rather than content (i.e. how do monarchies differ across time vs who was the king of somewherestan on 2nd October 1498). I have a very broad interest but not very in-depth with any particular era or subject. So in other words, I don't have time to be a full-on petrolhead, because I'm busy doing so many things.

Despite this, I'm quite interested in knowing about cars, but again in this general sense. Not necessarily wanting to know in-depth mechanics, but being able to look at a car on my daily drive and know where it stands in the hierarchy of things. I play a bit of Forza Motorsport 7 (though it probably doesn't surprise you I use a controller) and like to watch Scotty Kilmer on YouTube from time-to-time. I know American cars are unreliable because of their focus on short-term profit vs long-term thinking in Japanese business culture.

So how can I get into cars without hanging out with any car fanatics IRL or driving a great variety of cars IRL? The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime perhaps? Particular YouTube channels? What to consider when playing FM7?

Sorry if this is really vague to ask. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I started as a kid by reading car magazines (Road and Track, Car and Driver etc). Then stumbled across Autoweek and loved their racing coverage. I imagine all of these magazines have great websites with various levels of indepth to light coverage of all things automotive.

Grand Tour / Top Gear are as much about the cars as the hosts and their subsequent comradery. You will learn things about cars.. enjoy stories and adventures, but typically not anything overly indepth.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Being a history teacher, I would say do the same thing with vehicles that you do with your curriculum. Go and find a history of the automobile and read the whole thing. Then you can read/watch the history of basically any automaker and see all the vehicles they have produced over the years. The internet is a glorious depository for all of this.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
The basic concept of an ICE (internal Combustion engine) honestly has not change for last couple decades. Read some books and do those basic maintenance yourself will teach you alot.
Sponsored