How to Launch the CVT Hatch Sport the fastest?

Zerkom122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
From my understanding I have to hold the brake and gas it to let the turbo spool up and then launch. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

PandaThePeter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
It is common knowledge that the Hatchback sport is around 7.5-7.8 sec. Which is as fast as my girlfriend's 2007 elantra SE -Rust bucket addition.

Thus, there is no reason to launch it. It is truly disappointing how this car has better torque and HP.

Edit: I stand corrected - http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1307319

Still disappointed in this car though :p
Not sure why you would be disappointed. It beats the previous Si.

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6.9 sec for a civic gotta love it with "no tune"

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't properly measured exactly the times but I usually do a rolling-launch on my Touring and find that it's faster than compared to a stop launch. Again, methods matter the most here because I literally press on the throttle lightly then gradually step deeper into it; as opposed as to just flooring it because flooring with CVT doesn't actually work quite well. I wasn't going for times or anything like that, I was just finding what best works for me. If I floor it, the CVT actually stalls the RPM and you'd just get...meh. If you do gradual flooring, you should be able to skip turbo lag by the time you press deeper into the throttle.

I was using my Touring as an example because weight-wise, Touring is the heaviest out of the sedan with all that sensing crap they got on it.

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Does anyone know if the CVT has a torque converter with lock up like a normal auto tranny? Or does it have some simulated dual clutch operation via the cvt somehow ? It feels like very little to no creep in gear and no throttle at a light .

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I haven't properly measured exactly the times but I usually do a rolling-launch on my Touring and find that it's faster than compared to a stop launch. Again, methods matter the most here because I literally press on the throttle lightly then gradually step deeper into it; as opposed as to just flooring it because flooring with CVT doesn't actually work quite well. I wasn't going for times or anything like that, I was just finding what best works for me. If I floor it, the CVT actually stalls the RPM and you'd just get...meh. If you do gradual flooring, you should be able to skip turbo lag by the time you press deeper into the throttle.

I was using my Touring as an example because weight-wise, Touring is the heaviest out of the sedan with all that sensing crap they got on it.
U explained cvt lag greatly here.... And then called it turbo lag??? :what:

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if the wording was a little bit confusing but CVT does stall RPMs; which is why its great for fuel economy. Haven't you ever noticed instance(s) where you pressed on the throttle deep and it would at times keep the RPM constant but your MPH keeps going up and it creates a feeling of being stalled? That's CVT. The downside of turbocharged cars is that they have turbo lag. Turbo lag is that 2-3 seconds before the turbo kicking in. So for example, if you were to start from stop and press deep into the throttle, the car would probably go to about 2500-3000RPM before turbo actually kicks in which then would raise the RPM a bit before the CVT kicks in again and stalls it.

And then I explained how if you did a rolling start launch on this car, like how I described it, it would negate the turbo lag because a few seconds has gone by and the gradual pushing of the throttle allows the RPM to constantly climb while the turbo kicks in so CVT lag only occurs when the peak torque of the car has been reached.

Make sense now? I'd have to do a video of it but this is one of the problems of a CVT with a turbo. One is designed to stall RPMs to maintain a good fuel economy while the other is designed to boost RPMs to get maximum torque.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Edit. Triple post

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Edit. Double post
Sponsored