First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just curious...
Why did you choose Amsoil? is it cheaper?
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious...
Why did you choose Amsoil? is it cheaper?
I personally used AMSOIL because I have a lot of faith in their products. The oil analysis reports myself and other members have done show AMSOIL makes one of the best performing oils in our 1.5T. My dad has been using AMSOIL for 300k mi on his Jeep liberty and that thing runs incredible still. I've had AMSOIL CVT in my Civic for about 5k miles now, zero issues. Didn't notice any changes in MPG or any different behavior in the transmission.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Where is a good place to get a new crush washer ? Is there a crush washer on both the fill bolt and drain bolt, or just drain bolt ?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where is a good place to get a new crush washer ? Is there a crush washer on both the fill bolt and drain bolt, or just drain bolt ?
Just the drain bolt needs one. At your local dealer or online:

Transmission Drain Plug Washer 18mm
Part # 90471-PX4-000
https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/90471-PX4-000.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PC-18MM...N-90471-PX4-000-FOR-HONDA-ACURA-/232354207927

For future reference:
Civic CVT transmission drain plug crush washer: 18mm
All Civic oil drain plug crush washer: 14mm
CTR manual transmission crush washer: 20mm

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Just the drain bolt needs one. At your local dealer or online:

Transmission Drain Plug Washer 18mm
Part # 90471-PX4-000
https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/90471-PX4-000.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PC-18MM...N-90471-PX4-000-FOR-HONDA-ACURA-/232354207927

For future reference:
Civic CVT transmission drain plug crush washer: 18mm
All Civic oil drain plug crush washer: 14mm
CTR manual transmission crush washer: 20mm
Thanks I have not changed the CVT yet and was not sure if I could use my old oil bolt ones. Good to know they are different before I did it

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ‘17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just changed my cvt transmission fluid today for the first time at 39,000. Will definitely change earlier than this time lol. Was noticing harder gear changes, and some higher RPMS when going into another gear for a few second. Had car up on ramps with the back end jacked up. Changed with Honda genuine hcf-2. Drained out about a little under ~4 quarts (manual says 3.9qts). Filled with 4 quarts, let car run in each gear about 15 seconds each, removed check bolt...small amount of fluid drained out and closed up. Took about 45 minutes taking my time and not rushing around. Test drive went well, no more weird gear changes. Thanks for all the info guys!

nyamwaikinn

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport(Sonic Gray)
Country flag
Honda CVTs are relatively trouble-free, but ONLY when you keep the oil changed. I found lots of good info scattered all over these forums, so I’m just going to compile it here.

Tools & parts:
Ramps, jack stands, floor jack, Phillips head screw driver, stubby slotted screw driver, oil pan, 3/8 male pipe plug socket, breaker bar, 12mm socket, ratchet wrench, long necked funnel, 18mm crush washer, 4qts HCF2 fluid (or better)

Procedure:
Drive car to get engine to normal operating temperature. Drive front wheels onto ramps, set parking brake, then cycle through gear positions waiting 3-5 seconds between each position change. Keep idling in park. Using floor jack on rear jack support (location depends on exhaust position), raise back of car just above point of being level. Set jackstands under rear-side jack notches and let floor jack down just enough to share support with stands. Turn off engine.

Remove under-engine cover using Phillips driver on 2 screws at front and slotted driver on 6 quarter turn fasteners.

Remove filler plug:
upload_2018-12-4_21-44-53.jpeg

Closer shot:
upload_2018-12-4_21-45-30.jpeg

Using 3/8 pipe plug socket attached to breaker bar, loosen transmission drain plug:
upload_2018-12-4_21-47-53.jpeg

With oil pan placed sufficiently far from the plug (initially oil will come out very strongly), remove bolt wearing gloves. Oil will be hot!

If you removed the fill plug, emptying of about 4qts will take just 3-5 minutes at most. If not, it will take significantly longer.

Once oil stops coming out, replace crush washer and install bolt & washer. Using long-neck funnel, refill with all 4qts of CVT oil. Replace fill plug.

Carefully get into car and start. With foot on brake, shift through gear positions waiting 3-5 seconds per position: PRNDSLSDNRP. Allow to idle 3-5 minutes then turn off engine.

Carefully get out of car. Find check bolt just above and forward of the drain bolt, and loosen using 12mm socket. With drain pan below hole, remove check bolt while wearing gloves:
upload_2018-12-4_22-4-50.jpeg

If nothing is dripping after 3-5 minutes being open, add more CVT oil until it begins to drip out. You may have to replace bolt and repeat shift procedure above if you add more than a couple ounces.

When oil is very slowly dripping, reinstall check bolt and washer (I didn’t replace the washer). Wipe oil off all surfaces on engine and transmission. Remove the drain pan from under car and replace under-engine cover.

Slightly jack up rear of car and remove stands. Slowly lower rear of car and set floor jack aside. Drive off ramps.

In all, it will take about 30-45 minutes the first time but 15-30 minutes once you do it once. It is just as easy as changing engine oil - in fact I’ll probably do it every other engine oil change (at least every 3rd engine oil change).

Hi! I did those except that my vehicle was on a ramp the whole time and i didnt jack the rear up. I just drained and filled 4 qts in and then released the weep hole, i filled in a little of my 5th bottle of cvt fluid (HCF2) and waited a couple mins then my fill hole started pouring out then until it was dripping, i tighten it. Should i jack up my car from the driver side pinch weld, unscrew the fill hole (after i do the prnd thing) and try to see if any more fluid comes out? And if it does, pour more of my 5th bottle in?

Last edited:

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thanks, guys. Y'all are giving me the courage to change my CVT fluid soon. I just made 26k miles on my 2017 LX Hatch. I haven't had the maintenance minder number for a CVT change come up, but earlier than required can't hurt, can it? Too bad I am just starting school, so I will probably do it in December when I have an extended break.

ryanfk7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ‘17 Hatch EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, guys. Y'all are giving me the courage to change my CVT fluid soon. I just made 26k miles on my 2017 LX Hatch. I haven't had the maintenance minder number for a CVT change come up, but earlier than required can't hurt, can it? Too bad I am just starting school, so I will probably do it in December when I have an extended break.
When I go to my maintenance minder it doesn’t even give me the letter B %, does yours? I was at 39k and it never came up. If I could go back I definitely would have done mine around 25k

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I go to my maintenance minder it doesn’t even give me the letter B %, does yours? I was at 39k and it never came up. If I could go back I definitely would have done mine around 25k
The A and B service are one after the other, for example in one interval you have the "A" service, in the next, you will have the "B" service. Maintenance Minder #3 is in regards to replacing the transmission fluid.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine never came up with a B service either after 50k. I wasn't waiting any longer so I changed mine.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you so much for this write-up TC! It took me in total about 2 hours, but that's because my first time around I take my time and make sure I know where everything is. It was a great job! First time changing the transmission fluid in any vehicle. I used 3.7 quarts of Honda HCF-2 Transmission Fluid and used the check bolt just like you said. Perhaps the hardest part was unbolting the transmission bolt. It's put in at such an angle that my breaker bar couldn't get a good grasp at it; I eventually had to use a universal joint extension to crack it loose.

You were right about the oil coming out with great ferocity! I didn't put my pan far enough and got an ugly spill all over the road. Check out the picture attached hah. Thanks again, TC! :)

Honda Civic 10th gen How to change Transmission Oil on 1.5T CVT IMG_20190904_165728_01

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Where is cvt tranny filter?
Can someone tell replacement part number for filter?
Sponsored