How to change brake pads on the new Civics - VIDEO!

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after searching this forum, I did not see a tutorial on how to change out the brake pads on the new Civics. I also noticed there are still no upgraded rear pad options for our Civics (unfortunately), but I hope that will change soon...

Anyway, here is a video I made on how to change the brake pads on our new Civics.

Sponsored

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Nice video and +1 for using a torque wrench, but a few recommendations from someone who has changed brakes for a living:

• You should always break lug nut tension with the wheel on the ground then lift and remove the nuts fully.
  • Clean the caliper with brake cleaner to get all the brake dust out before putting new pad in, that new grease will hold it in there and cause noise down the road.
  • Take out the caliper slide bolts and clean / lube them with silicone lube (silicone won't hurt the rubber boots - I like permatex)
  • If you're going to use a c-clamp to push the piston back in then do NOT ever just push the clamp into the piston, use the old brake pad between the c-clamp and the piston so it puts even pressure across it.
  • I'm super picky about always getting new rotors with brake changes but it's not really needed (but they are so cheap you may as well) or get them measured / turned at a shop.
  • Bungee cord or wire to hang the top of the caliper after removing it will help because if it falls it may rip the brake line and that's a pain that can be avoided easily.
Since you track the car you'll be changing the pads quickly anyways, but for anyone who is just doing this to a commuter then i'd recommend checking out ChrisFix's brake change video.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool video, I'd like to add that I find it way easier to compress those pistons if you remove the lid to the brake fluid reservoir,I put a paper towel over it to keep dirt out, then always check the fluid level after all the new pads are on.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
That or crack the bleeder screws to prevent reverse flow. I find that backing the fluid up the lines tends to soften the brake pedal feel a tad, thanks in part to the sensitivity of the ABS actuator. That and the risk of introducing contaminants from the caliper bore.

OP, thanks for confirming that the rears don't require a CPU (another reason to choose Honda over VW lol). They look very similar to the Mazda 3 rear caliper design. And I think the brake tool kit from Harbor Freight might work (someone will have to confirm).

Honda Civic 10th gen How to change brake pads on the new Civics - VIDEO! 3ed41ab29f94deae55bc9c188a83f00e

OP
OP
dominican

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That or crack the bleeder screws to prevent reverse flow. I find that backing the fluid up the lines tends to soften the brake pedal feel a tad, thanks in part to the sensitivity of the ABS actuator. That and the risk of introducing contaminants from the caliper bore.

OP, thanks for confirming that the rears don't require a CPU (another reason to choose Honda over VW lol). They look very similar to the Mazda 3 rear caliper design. And I think the brake tool kit from Harbor Freight might work (someone will have to confirm).

3ed41ab29f94deae55bc9c188a83f00e.jpg

That'll definitely work, it's a pretty standard size. Better than that damn cube I was using!

ch3390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan EX Turbo
Country flag
I recently installed the same front brake pads you used in the video, my question is are yours noisy at all? I can hear mine squealing and I don't know if it's normal. Any way to fix this? I've never changed brakes before and that was my first time, I basically did everything you did in the video. As @CobraCommand mentioned should I just lube them and maybe the noise will go away?

OP
OP
dominican

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently installed the same front brake pads you used in the video, my question is are yours noisy at all? I can hear mine squealing and I don't know if it's normal. Any way to fix this? I've never changed brakes before and that was my first time, I basically did everything you did in the video. As @CobraCommand mentioned should I just lube them and maybe the noise will go away?
Mine haven't been noisy at all, you used the HPS pads? Just make sure you lube the pads up nicely. If you got more aggressive pads, they WILL squeal, no matter what.

ch3390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Sedan EX Turbo
Country flag
Mine haven't been noisy at all, you used the HPS pads? Just make sure you lube the pads up nicely. If you got more aggressive pads, they WILL squeal, no matter what.
I got the HWS, I'll give it a try tomorrow to see if it helps. Thank you!

OP
OP
dominican

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the HWS, I'll give it a try tomorrow to see if it helps. Thank you!
You probably meant HPS. Check pad orientation as well, make sure they are where they are supposed to be.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
You may be able to push the front pistons in with your fingers if you open the bleed screw and let the excess fluid bleed out through a plastic tube.

Brake fluid is inexpensive. By adding new fluid to the MC reservoir you will be lowering the boiling point of the fluid.

OP
OP
dominican

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Happy to help, if your mechanic offered the same to me, I would do that as well. :respect:

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
I watched the section on the fronts, they are the same design as the 8th gen so anyone that has worked on those it should be an easy task. I typically get 100k miles out of pads/rotors so I don't end up changing them very often but it's good to know it will be familiar territory when I need to change these.

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
So after searching this forum, I did not see a tutorial on how to change out the brake pads on the new Civics. I also noticed there are still no upgraded rear pad options for our Civics (unfortunately), but I hope that will change soon...

Anyway, here is a video I made on how to change the brake pads on our new Civics.

Really appreciate the video, man!

I usually have the pros do these installs, but with this video and other videos out there, I think I will do this install on my own.

Thanks again!

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Those brakes looked terrible. Almost as if the car were 5 years plus old
Sponsored