How to buy a Civic Type R/is an Si good enough?

NolanCameron

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Country flag
I've been looking at buying a new car and have been very interested in the Civic Type R. The price looked good, the speed looked good, and it had most of the bells and whistles I was looking for in the convenience/safety department (2020 model).

Trouble is I asked a local dealer (I live in New Mexico so very few dealers) about the procedure for getting one and was told that they would need to order one and I couldn't even reserve one without agreeing to $4,000 of optional extras on the car (I assume there's additional dealer fees after that, but I didn't ask further).

I went to cargurus and it looks like there are some 2019's that are selling within 400 miles for MSRP (at least that's what's on their site), but I can't find any 2020 models for sale. Based on my research it looks like the average dealer markup is around $4K anyway, so the fact that they're willing to at least give me some "extras" for the money is a "good deal".
https://19216811.cam https://xender.vip https://testmyspeed.onl
Sponsored

Last edited:

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
1- do not go back to that dealer
2- 2020's may still be in transit
3- do not pay over MSRP, no need to
4- if you have to drive a few hours to get a good deal do it.
5 - once you get your car at or below MSRP go back to dealer #1 and rub it in his face.

If the dealer is a few hrs away find a car rental near dealer. The salesman will help you drop off the rental. I've done this myself. We are at the point that R's can be found at below sticker so don't be afraid to walk away from a mark up.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you like the hatchback, styling, and can afford the price/maintenance of a Type-R then go for it. Otherwise, an Si would be a great daily driver that can probably be found for somewhere around $15k less than a Type-R and comes with a little more comfort/convenience features, but obviously less performance.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Never make an "emotional" decision on a car.
Purchase what you can afford.
Never buy a vehicle that is over MSRP when NEW.
Never buy a used vehicle that is at the previous MSRP when used.
Every vehicle depreciates; so let the rest of the market absorb the loss - but don't be one of them.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
This may not be possible on many collectable cars. For example, I would love to say I can buy a 240Z for under original MSRP, but unless it is in the junk yard, this is not possible.

crocoyes6

First Name
kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
Country flag
When I was looking after my 14 SI was totaled. I considered a CTR, but in Metro Atlanta area all dealers had the 18's $10K over MSRP. No on would come down. Best I could get was $1200 off the marked up price, cause at the time I got a TrueCar (Samsclub) certificate stating I would get $1200 off MSRP. All the dealers that I tried to get that on say that they would not honor the Truecar dealon the Type R, though the Truecar people said they should. So I went back to SI. I could not justify the markup. I just used the truecar deal on the SI. SI though is fun enough. Its my daily on a 37 mile commute. Its still fun and economical. Plus I am not a kid anymore and I may look more silly in a Type R.

I did hear a story when I was buying of how a Mother bought a Type R in Atlanta for son but had to drive it back cause he did not know how to drive manual. Must be nice.

I did contact the professional car buyer from Jalopnik (apparently he charges to get deals on cars for people) and he thought he could find one MSRP for me, but I did not want to wait.

Staffiedog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette and Civic SI
Country flag
4K worth of dealer extras are only worth a couple of hundred dollars due to their overinflated dealer prices for the junk they add.

Boostez

Samurai
First Name
Marlin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R; 03' Mitsubishi EVO; 2018 Polaris Slingshot SL-R
Country flag
Never make an "emotional" decision on a car.
Purchase what you can afford.
Never buy a vehicle that is over MSRP when NEW.
Every vehicle depreciates; so let the rest of the market absorb the loss - but don't be one of them.
I completely disagree with this. Most of these cars are marked up along with 100s of other cars. Dealer markup is because of supply and demand. I paid $7k over MSRP (all dealer options) and the car is worth even more now in 2021.

If you want the car, then there is nothing wrong with paying a markup provided it's reasonable.
Sponsored